Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Has anyone else discovered Baby Einstein?
It's amazing!
Oliver was being restless last night so we found it on YouTube and played it through the tv (which he has recently discovered and loves!!) and he was hooked!!
Calmed him down and he sat watching it for half an hour before falling asleep :)

It's his jabs today- what can I expect from him later, in terms of sleeping, feeding, etc?
I know the GP will prob tell me, but I wanted to hear how other babies have been, as it can vary.
And is it normal to feel guilty before he's even had them??!
I'm gonna be a mess- taking loads of tissues with me!! X

Has anyone else discovered Baby Einstein? It's amazing! Oliver was being restless last night so we found it on YouTube and played it through the tv (which he has recently discovered and loves!!) and he was hooked!! Calmed him down and he sat watching it for half an hour before falling asleep :) It's his jabs today- what can I expect from him later, in terms of sleeping, feeding, etc? I know the GP will prob tell me, but I wanted to hear how other babies have been, as it can vary. And is it normal to feel guilty before he's even had them??! I'm gonna be a mess- taking loads of tissues with me!! X

Oh no I haven't. Will check it out. Oliver loves baby jake, don't know if you have found that.

When Oliver had his first jabs he screamed and screamed and I cried and cried too. I fed him as soon as jabs were done even if it wasn't feed time. He then fell asleep. When he woke he just kept crying then falling asleep then crying. Was horrible. He slept on me. That evening it took us over an hour to get him to sleep but after that he was fine. Think dr suggests giving him calpol 30mins before jab due.

Second and third jabs he screamed but once I have him milk, he slept and was fine.

Just be careful when touching his thighs because they will be tender. Make a judgement whether to bath him or not. I don't think we did.

All babies are different though. I wouldn't expect to do anything today but comfort him and then hopefully you'll be lucky and he will sleep it off.

Good luck Hun. You're doing the right thing x

Oh no I haven't. Will check it out. Oliver loves baby jake, don't know if you have found that.

When Oliver had his first jabs he screamed and screamed and I cried and cried too. I fed him as soon as jabs were done even if it wasn't feed time. He then fell asleep. When he woke he just kept crying then falling asleep then crying. Was horrible. He slept on me. That evening it took us over an hour to get him to sleep but after that he was fine. Think dr suggests giving him calpol 30mins before jab due.

Second and third jabs he screamed but once I have him milk, he slept and was fine.

Just be careful when touching his thighs because they will be tender. Make a judgement whether to bath him or not. I don't think we did.

All babies are different though. I wouldn't expect to do anything today but comfort him and then hopefully you'll be lucky and he will sleep it off.

Good luck Hun. You're doing the right thing x
Thanks- It wasn't too bad actually, he screamed as expected but once back in the buggy, he fall asleep and he's still asleep now!!
Means he's missed a feed but he doesn't seem to be bothered.
Got Calpol at the ready, just in case!
Doc said I could bath him, but I'll see how his thighs are when I next change his nappy and make a decision on that.
Got the fan on and all widows open, as the house is warm but so far so good!
And I didn't cry!
Becoming a mummy has toughened me up, as my hubby would put it! X

Aww fingers crossed he is ok. We had a sleepy baby or a day or so and a few Nasty nappies with te first jabs but otherwise nothing really xx

We just had about half hour unsettled and then back to normal got 12 week jabs Thursday :( doesn't get any easier for mummies xx

He's been so sleepy! Slept until 2, had his milk, bath and back asleep by 4, woke at 5:30 for milk, took 4oz and fall asleep and has just woken up!!
Having a cuddle and he's sleepy again!!
He's had 2 dirty nappies instead of the usual 1 but otherwise seems fine x

I think my little angel may have colic, really unsettled last night for a few hrs n nothing would console her. Felt so sorry for her n not being able to do anything. I have infacol but not sure it's doing a great deal. She is only 3 wk's today so I can't use gripe water just yet. has anyone got any suggestions? Xx

I think my little angel may have colic, really unsettled last night for a few hrs n nothing would console her. Felt so sorry for her n not being able to do anything. I have infacol but not sure it's doing a great deal. She is only 3 wk's today so I can't use gripe water just yet. has anyone got any suggestions? Xx

They say infacol doesn't often work but you won't do her any harm by continuing it just in case it does for her. My best advice is to wind her really really well and try some tummy massage etc which might help relax her muscles and let it move along. Also bicycling legs works too. Do you have a sling or carrier? Sometimes they like to be upright and near you and it means you can get on with stuff and cuddle at once! Cx

Infacol was brilliant for us but you have to build it up and it takes a few bottles (of milk, not infacol lol). Once Cole had been on it a day or so we started to see improvements. Other than that, like Susie said, plenty of winding. We found Cole would get a lot up if he was on his tummy but he hated being laid on his tummy when he was so young so we'd lay him on our chest and lay back with him so he was on his tummy but getting cuddles too x

Oliver has colic and it was bad in the beginning, this is what we tried:

Infacol, putting a towel under the head of his Moses basket so it's slightly tilted, burp him lots in the evenings and after every 1oz of milk, massage his tummy in an anti clockwise motion...

Soon as he was one month old, we introduced gripe water and anti colic bottles (Phillips Avent 1m+ bottles are ace!), now we use Dentinox instead of Infacol and it's helped massively... Just checked the box and it says can be used from birth, so maybe worth a try?
We used Infacol/Dentinox as well as gripe water (putting gripe water into his bottles) to really tackle it and we really notice if we forgot one or the other...
He's 8 weeks old now and much better- we also learnt that if he does cry in the evenings and everything else is good, he just wants burping, he always settles again after a good burp and a cuddle and then asks for his dummy.

I know some of the other girls have used Colief- it's very expensive unless your GP will prescribe it for her, plus Dr. Brown do anti colic bottles but I've not used them so don't know how effective they are?

It's not nice but try everything you can to make it easier for her and just remember she'll grow out of it really soon (I know it seems like it'll go on forever but Oliver suffered badly until about 5 weeks and then with a combination of everything we tried he settled down) xx

And keeping baby upright, my Oliver loves it! He actually falls asleep like that! And it helps massively with colic X

I have just bought colief, 12£ but worth it if it works. Only problem is it says to put the drops in then feed half hr later. That's not good when she wakes up in night for a feed xx

I have just bought colief, 12£ but worth it if it works. Only problem is it says to put the drops in then feed half hr later. That's not good when she wakes up in night for a feed xx

Colief was the best thing ever for us! Would definitely recommend it. Really hope you see some improvements soon. We went from a really distressed baby to a really happy one in just 2 days.

Really annoying having to put drops in 30 mins b4, we ended up pre making and storing in the fridge overnight x

My Oliver keeps putting his hands (and often his bibs!) in his mouth, been doing it last few days- I know he's only 8 weeks old but could it be signs of teething???

(I ask because my friends baby who is 7 weeks old is already teething!!!!)

My Oliver keeps putting his hands (and often his bibs!) in his mouth, been doing it last few days- I know he's only 8 weeks old but could it be signs of teething??? (I ask because my friends baby who is 7 weeks old is already teething!!!!)

Could be but then again Cole started doing it and dribbling loads at about 7 weeks and we've been able to see bumps of his teeth since about 10 weeks but he still hasn't got a tooth through properly and he's 7 months next week. But then Penny's Oliver is younger than Cole and has about 6 teeth I think. They do show signs really early though, apparently they can do it months and months before any teeth come through. Poor little Oliver if he is though :(

It's just part of their development everything goes to their mouth and dribbling. You'll feel a hard dental ridge but unusual for teething pains before 4-5 months

Yeh I can't feel any teeth, he just wants to put everything in his mouth!
I've given him some teething toys and they went straight in and he's happy! X

Thomas is 5 months 1 week and still puts everything in his mouth and drools soooo much, doesn't seem to have much pain though and no signs of teeth. X

What was the first foods you tried with your babies? Thomas is 23 weeks and for 2 weeks I've been giving him baby cereal once a day. Today I made carrot and potato puree and after a couple of mouthfuls he was massively sick.

Reading sometimes potato can irritate their stomach, tried it as it was one of the first vegetable purées on the Annabel Karmel website.

My Oliver keeps putting his hands (and often his bibs!) in his mouth, been doing it last few days- I know he's only 8 weeks old but could it be signs of teething??? (I ask because my friends baby who is 7 weeks old is already teething!!!!)

It's unusual but Oliver got first two teeth on his 3 month bday. Then got another two at 4.5 months and another two at 5 months so it could be. I hope it isn't though x

Back