Pregnancy and Slimming World

I have my second midwife appointment on Friday, does anyone know what it entails - or is just a general chat to see how things are?

I'd like to know that too!
I'm 16 weeks on Friday but no idea when my appointment is... bit of a pain really as I can't do 3 days next week through work, hols and bank hol.

I know my MW said I'd need to give a wee sample on every visit so that's a given... not sure what else.

my second midwife appt, the one after the booking one?

She measured my fundus height, took my Blood Pressure, listened to baby with doppler and asked me if I have any concerns/problems or questions. She will also ask if you've noticed any swelling anywhere like ankles, fingers, face etc. Have you felt baby moving, but not to worry if you haven't.

Pee sample on every visit, yup.

Nothing too stressful to be honest.

Sarah - check your appt in back of your care notes. If there's nothing there give your team a phone and see what they have scheduled for you. I know mines are organised until June!

Thanks Lexi, yes second one - first one was the booking one.

So excited to get midwife to check, as me and my OH do have a doppler but we are never sure if it is right - at least when she does it we will know if we were spot on or not :)

Thanks Sarah that reminds me I need to do my wee sample. Also in the back of the book is where midwife writes my appointments down. I am also going to ask her about prenatal classes that are in my area, as I cannot book them directly through the centre the midwife has to do it, what a pain!!! But it will be great to get that sorted out and meet other mums to be :)

Hmm yes I definitely need to ring my MW as these posts have reminded me that I haven't actually had my notes yet. Bit different for me as she's a friend of the family but she was going to drop them off after my scan and hasn't... Will ring her later

argh. i crashed and burned sw wise today! well.. from about 10 am.

breaky & lunch was perfect... but iv eaten a bag of mini eggs, galaxy minstrels, 2 ikea cinnamon buns.. and half a cheese and tom wholemeal sandwhich. bugger.

I've been back on track for two days now but was so hungry today. Wonder if its cos I'm not grazing. When I'm off the plan I pick so don't have set meals.

Feel a lot bigger, starting to get uncomfortable as bubba is pushing hard against my stomach. Starting to feel tired too, glad I've almost finished work

i found iv been so say 'starving' since being back on plan, so am eating copious amounts of fruit and yogurt etc. think its my mindset maybe. xx

Bunny - you'll know if you have baby's heartbeat as it will be really fast. If you hear a whooshing thats roughly like your own heartbeat in pace then its likely you're hearing the flow of blood through the placenta.

Listened to mines today with the doppler we hired for a month and it sounds like a galloping pony!

Plan wise today - aff it again.

2 rolls and egg this morning
Then beans on wholemeal toast with 40g cheese
Then pasta with stir in sauce
and a cream egg
1/2 a jar of gherkins

Not a piece of fruit in sight :(

It sounded like being on a train, like a whoosy noise.

Bunny - you'll know if you have baby's heartbeat as it will be really fast. If you hear a whooshing thats roughly like your own heartbeat in pace then its likely you're hearing the flow of blood through the placenta.

Listened to mines today with the doppler we hired for a month and it sounds like a galloping pony!

Off to bed now, not looking forward to it as I am so dame hot at night now that I have to open all my bedroom windows wide open, grrrr!!!

Last edited:
Haha - my windows have been opened since Mid January and sleeping in the scuddy as PJ's were just getting soaked with sweat.

Bunny using the doppler you should hear this sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh3RmQ6uo4 at 49 seconds in as the baby's heartbeat. Anything slower and you're picking up the placenta or your own heartbeat.

I hired a doppler after the non-moving baby scare for a month or two, and its the same as the midwives one with the probe. Baby keeps moving minute I get a fix. Judging by the position of kicks baby is lying mostly posterior (it's back against mines) or diagonally across my belly, doesn't like it when I bend forward and starts kicking away to get more room. Bad tempered wee sod (like it's mum)

I have a question for the people who are close to or have had babies. Do they tell you how heavy baby is likely to be? When do they tell you? How do they know?

Last edited:
I found it quite difficult at first to figure out which sound was the baby HB as you pick up your own quite easily. What I do, is as soon as I find it, I check my pulse on my neck at the same time - you can hear if the whooshing is the same pace as yours. This also means that when you do eventually find the baby's HB it does sound much faster. It always takes me a while and I've found an empty bladder is better.

What's the old wives tale?... Train = boy, horses = girl

Mine sounds like a train everytime and we're both convinced it's a boy. So chances are it probably is a girl!!

Hi girls
Blah its been a busy 3 days off can't believe i'm back at work already!!!! Need to start taking it easy on my days off! Weighed in on Mon +3lb:eek:, i'm hoping thats down to being a bit constipated........never in my life have i been like this, normally twice a day girl tmi lol! My SW group recommended boiling water and lemon and it has worked a little bit.Any tips you have would be great :D
Having a few issues with work iniform atm ..........watch this space lol!

x

Hi girls
Blah its been a busy 3 days off can't believe i'm back at work already!!!! Need to start taking it easy on my days off! Weighed in on Mon +3lb:eek:, i'm hoping thats down to being a bit constipated........never in my life have i been like this, normally twice a day girl tmi lol! My SW group recommended boiling water and lemon and it has worked a little bit.Any tips you have would be great :D

x

I've had the opposite problem. Since I've been pregnant its stomach cramps that wake me up and a need to 'go'. I can only assume pregnancy hormones have irritated the IBS a bit.

Fibre! Get in your fruit/veg and really start hammering your beans, Throw some into stews, baked beans etc. I'd recommend a lentil/bean shepherds pie, lots of fibre in that if you like them.

Prunes I think are a B choice on green days, but check this! You can buy wee tubs in Asda for like £1, and its apricots and prunes, 2 servings in a wee tub so you're not landed with a huge amount. A wee tub of that and some of the other fibrous stuff.

Look at porridge oats, all bran as a B choice for cereals.

Lots of water to keep things 'soft'.

Walking (and I say walking because I found anything more than that in the 1st trimester I felt like I'd been hit by a train. The tiredness! Oh lordy!)

Oh Jojo that sounds horrible - luckily I managed to pretty much bypass that. I'm usually a 1 a day and occassionally I would go a day without going, but not that often. And funnily enough my IBS seems to have gotten better, I haven't had that urgent need to go with cramps very often at all...

There are loads of tips on the pregnancy sites on how to tackle constipation - but I think it's a case of finding what works for you with good old trial and error!

Good idea to take it easy on your days off - and importantly catch up on sleep! At one point I was needing a good 10 hours sleep in the week, and managed 11-12 on the weekends. Not much better now mind, I slept through from 9pm - 6am last night! :eek:

Walking (and I say walking because I found anything more than that in the 1st trimester I felt like I'd been hit by a train. The tiredness! Oh lordy!)

Do you know, I still feel like this - walking's the only thing I can manage and I get out of breath really easily.
Worst thing for me at the mo are stairs, I walk up a flight of stairs and feel really winded and out of breath, plus really light headed and dizzy.
It's strange - I have to consciously remember when out and about to tackle any stairs really slowly and use the handrail. It's better when I'm out with hubby - as he actually thinks to take the lift in places to save walking up the stairs, rather than me thundering on and feeling like I'm going to collapse when I get to the top :eek:

You can get lactolose from your gp, which is safe to take whilst pregnant :)

Hi girls

x

I've had the opposite problem. Since I've been pregnant its stomach cramps that wake me up and a need to 'go'. I can only assume pregnancy hormones have irritated the IBS a bit.

Fibre! Get in your fruit/veg and really start hammering your beans, Throw some into stews, baked beans etc. I'd recommend a lentil/bean shepherds pie, lots of fibre in that if you like them.

Prunes I think are a B choice on green days, but check this! You can buy wee tubs in Asda for like £1, and its apricots and prunes, 2 servings in a wee tub so you're not landed with a huge amount. A wee tub of that and some of the other fibrous stuff.

Look at porridge oats, all bran as a B choice for cereals.

Lots of water to keep things 'soft'.

Aww thanks Lexie dog - i refuse to use my b choice on dried fruit lol! it should be free like normal fruit! Porridge i already have so will try all bran and up the beans intake.........i feel sorry for my work mates!

Sarah83...........no such luck on the sleep front i work shifts of 6am till 2pm, 2pm till 10pm and 10pm till 6am! I don't feel that bad considering i finished 3 night shifts had 2.5 days off then back in on earlies ( been up since 04:20)! Might hit me later on though! x

Back