Pregnancy and Slimming World

Good news - glad baby is doing well! That's amazing that they can estimate a weight too, they plotted the measurements again today at our scan but we didn't get a weight estimate. 1.5st is not that bad at all! I'm 29+4 and I've gained 2st 2lbs so you're definitely doing better than me ;) It's v quiet here today... think we might get some good news soon? ;) x
Fantastic news!! So pleased for you. Time to relax and enjoy the second trimester. 1.5st is nothing. I've gained 2.5st but in fairness pre pg I was only on 1000 cals a day so not eating enough so a st of that probably just flew on to compensate and because I'm now eating proper daily calories. Don't stress about the weight there'll be water and blood volume increases to account for it!

Thanks ladies. I'm not sure how they estimate the weight. I'm taking all the measurements with a piece of salt really. I'm just relieved baby bear is healthy.

I was doing SW before I got pregnant. Had lost just over a stone, but was eating reasonable amounts of food and calories. I'm not stressing about weight gain. I have been snacking way too much so deserve the gain really. Will deal with it next year.

Hope you both have had a nice day and doing well.

Glad scan went ok missy. Sounds painful hips though. Hope the crutches help.

X

Thanks ladies. I'm not sure how they estimate the weight. I'm taking all the measurements with a piece of salt really. I'm just relieved baby bear is healthy. I was doing SW before I got pregnant. Had lost just over a stone, but was eating reasonable amounts of food and calories. I'm not stressing about weight gain. I have been snacking way too much so deserve the gain really. Will deal with it next year. Hope you both have had a nice day and doing well. Glad scan went ok missy. Sounds painful hips though. Hope the crutches help. X

Crutches are a pain in the ass but they do help so gonna persevere. Just can't believe how painful it's getting!

I was eating great and exercising lots before I was pregnant so I know what you mean. I was v close to my 6 stone award and I was doing 3 spin classes a week plus gym.

First trimester I was too nervous (and nauseous!) to exercise and the only things that killed the nausea were bread and crisps. I've just got into terrible habits and it's hard to shift, my eating is better now though and I'm at least having SW friendly meals 90% of the time. For the first few months of the pregnancy I couldn't stand veg and cooking made me feel sick so my good SW habits kinda went by the wayside.

We all know how to get the weight off though right, SW works so once the initial baby weight comes off I reckon none of us will have that much to lose ;) x

I've been a bit obsessed with the scales the whole pregnancy so far. Determined not to pile on the pounds but last night found myself getting annoyed at the numbers I seen. So I'm thinking if ditching the scales but keep a closer eye on what I'm eating. This week am doing the ww plan but ensuring I eat all the weeklies n not counting milk or yogurt so no limits on calcium. So far, 20weeks in I'm up 1.6lb. That gain came with this weeks wi so up to week 19 I pulled even.
Saying all the above, baby's health is paramount n I'm by no means depriving him/her. After all... A bar of choc is no good for baby so I don't "need" to have it...

I somehow didn't gain much until I got to about 16 weeks and then it started piling on! I didn't change what I was eating, it just started showing on the scales. If anything I'm eating better now than I was in the early days. There are so many things that I find unutterably stressful about pregnancy that to me weight is the least of them. When I was off work I just comfort ate, that's the only way I knew how to cope, and I piled most of it on then. Since then I've been gaining a steady 1lb per week which I'm happy with. Midwife keeps saying that she'd be more worried if I wasn't gaining and clothes wise I'm still wearing a lot of my pre-preg stuff. I had a wobble when I had to buy size 20 maternity trousers. Until I remembered that when I started SW, a year and a half ago, I was a size 26. So I'm not doing that badly ;)

You have done brilliant so far Frances, just cut yourself a bit of slack when you need to (we all need to sometimes) but you're doing the right thing. And you'll be in a much better position than me weight wise once all of out babies are here :) x

I just wana get as much nutrition as possible in for baby n think, if I'm hungry for chocolate, I'm hungry for an apple!! N the apple will suit baby better... Not saying my weight wasn't a factor but I didn't allow myself think "feck it I'm pregnant. It's my one chance to get away with it" coz once I started down that road I'd hav list control completely.
Tho saying that I've been so lucky in that I've had no morning sickness. No food aversions. No cravings...... So that's played a huge part.
Just when I got annoyed at the numbers on the scales I thought "time to leave the scales"

I just wana get as much nutrition as possible in for baby n think, if I'm hungry for chocolate, I'm hungry for an apple!! N the apple will suit baby better... Not saying my weight wasn't a factor but I didn't allow myself think "feck it I'm pregnant. It's my one chance to get away with it" coz once I started down that road I'd hav list control completely.
Tho saying that I've been so lucky in that I've had no morning sickness. No food aversions. No cravings...... So that's played a huge part.
Just when I got annoyed at the numbers on the scales I thought "time to leave the scales"

Also not saying I've been a saint. I've had chocolate n take always n bold days too....

Wow sounds like the both of you are doing better than me food wise.

Pre pregnancy I was going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and managed to run 5k in under 30mins which had been my aim. However I was probably carrying a couple of stone more than I would want. I was a size 14 in most places. However beginning of May we went away on bf's cricket tour which was awful food (think bad takeaway food most the time, in fact it was pretty much all beige food) so gained a few pounds in a matter of days. Got back on track for couple of weeks then found out I was pregnant. I felt fine for couple of weeks but in that time I went to Blackpool for a friends 30th and ate rubbish. Came home and the nausea started. I couldn't face cooking so bf did most of it although I did have a lot of bread and toast. The smell of veg, especially broccoli, made me heave so was lacking on the veg front.

The nausea did wear off and I have since eaten a lot more SW friendly meals but then tiredness hit in so wanted quick and easy food so have had things like chicken goujons or tinned soup, when before I would have done my own healthier versions. I've eaten way too much bread too. Slightly obsessive at times.

I think also at work I feel tired so then go to the vending machine. I've lost the willpower I had before and I know a lot of that is me thinking 'oh I'm pregnant now, may as well make the most of it'. I still go to my SW class but don't get weighed. I can't afford to pay someone to tell me I have put on weight.

I will rejoin next year post baby and I know I'm going to be at my heaviest ever but hopefully I'll have some good losses at the beginning.

As you say missy I'm not stressing about weight. I'm in most size 14 pregnancy clothes, with a few 12 and 16s in the mix too. I could be a lot bigger and me stressing isn't going to help baby, so just trying to eat as well as possible but if I fancy a treat, then so be it.

That's not to say I wish I hadn't kept following SW at the beginning but I think the two
Holidays and then nausea led me off the
Path and then I never returned!!

I think as long we apply they 80/20 rule we'll do fine. If we're good 80% of the time the 20% won't matter so much. We're still human at the end of the day n were gona have lazy days n sugar cravings. N this is a short period of time where we've to think of someone other than us when we eat. We have plenty of time to lose weight when baby's are here

I think we're all doing great under the circumstances! Some people struggle to control their weight normally, never mind when pregnant so we are doing awesome I think :D And we definitely have to cut ourselves a bit of slack.

The sickness and nausea does play a part for sure and it makes it so hard, I couldn't even set foot in the kitchen for weeks and I was so tired it was untrue. So I'd get home from work, fall asleep on sofa, husband would cook dinner and wake me up to eat, then I'd fall asleep again and he'd wake me up in time for bed lol. At work I was a toast eating zombie, it was the only thing that kept me human! Although husband can cook pretty well he works too and on Sundays especially he gets home very late and we'd have a takeaway 9/10 times cos he was tired from work and I couldn't face cooking. So the bad habits crept in slowly. Sounds like we had a similar experience with the nausea pjallen!

I always said I'd stick to SW when I got pregnant, it's the reason I picked it over WW when we started TTC. Had no idea how hard it would be though once combined with being too nauseous and tired to cook, considering that SW is all about home cooking. I went off veg big time, mushrooms made me ill, yogurt made me heave and milk made my mouth taste funny so eating SW friendly was nigh on impossible. It was an odd time... Just glad that's all gone now and I can eat stir fries and salads again. :) And it's true - baby doesn't need chocolate really! I need to remember that sometimes...

Tbh I have lost motivation too. My motivation for starting SW was to get pregnant and after losing nearly 6 stone and falling pregnant when we least expected it... The motivation was lacking after that ;) I achieved my goal so it's all about having a goal of being a healthy mummy now and making sure baby is looked after well now as well as after he's born. I don't want him to grow up with the food hang ups and issues I have so I want to be healthy enough to set a good example for him.

Its definitely worth keeping up the exercise though. My posture is awful apparently according to the physio, dunno if that has anything to do with me getting PGP but I'd do anything to avoid getting in tbh as it bloody hurts! Looking forward to getting a gym ball and doing a bit of exercise with that.

On an unrelated note, I had a look on my scan notes again and they did give an estimated weight - 3.7lbs. Which according to Google is average for 32 weeks! Am I growing a extra large baby here? Hoping scan measurements are a bit out lol, they are an estimate of course so not taking it as gospel ;) x

Last edited:
We are all doing well - at least we are still trying! I think now that the nausea and extreme tiredness have worn off I aim to swim twice a week and do 2 decent sized walks a week (40 mins plus) I walk to work 15 mins there and back 15 mins so that's something at least....

I just don't want a massive gain to have to lose after having baby, I want to feel good and not have the body hang ups and low confidence I did before losing weight. So while I feel able I'm going to keep on trying - kind of managed day 3 of slimming world but with 4 healthy a choices! Oops!!!! ;) 2 lots of milk and 2 lots of cheese.

We are all doing well - at least we are still trying! I think now that the nausea and extreme tiredness have worn off I aim to swim twice a week and do 2 decent sized walks a week (40 mins plus) I walk to work 15 mins there and back 15 mins so that's something at least.... I just don't want a massive gain to have to lose after having baby, I want to feel good and not have the body hang ups and low confidence I did before losing weight. So while I feel able I'm going to keep on trying - kind of managed day 3 of slimming world but with 4 healthy a choices! Oops!!!! ;) 2 lots of milk and 2 lots of cheese.

Lots of calcium is a must so that sounds really sensible. Even if you do gain a bit you'll not be back where you were - no chance. You've worked hard to get here so even with a bit of weight back on I reckon that neither of us will be back to where we started or heavier :)

It's my due date and I've woken up to find my front tooth (crown I think it is) has fallen out!
Luckily I didn't swallow it!! But does anyone know if dentists will work on ladies who are 'so pregnant'? X

It's my due date and I've woken up to find my front tooth (crown I think it is) has fallen out! Luckily I didn't swallow it!! But does anyone know if dentists will work on ladies who are 'so pregnant'? X

Oh no Cai. Ring them as soon as they open and explain it's your due date today and you need to be seen ASAP. Mention it's a front tooth so you want it sorted before baby comes. Hugs Hun x

I have woken up this morning full of cold... AGAIN!

I had a chest infection 3 weeks ago, morning sickness was really bad beginning of this week and now a cold argh!

Was anyone else ill a lot in the first 12 weeks?

I have woken up this morning full of cold... AGAIN! I had a chest infection 3 weeks ago, morning sickness was really bad beginning of this week and now a cold argh! Was anyone else ill a lot in the first 12 weeks?

Oh no sounds like you're in the wars. I was ok for the first 12 weeks cold wise. Had a nasty one about a month ago which has only just gone really.

Lots of rest and steam inhalation

Get well soon x

I have woken up this morning full of cold... AGAIN!

I had a chest infection 3 weeks ago, morning sickness was really bad beginning of this week and now a cold argh!

Was anyone else ill a lot in the first 12 weeks?

I felt horrible for the first 14 weeks, queasy, tired, stomach upsets, 3 wisdom tooth infections , sore throat - blah!!!! Much better since week 14 tho so there is hope for you :)

Hope you start to feel better soon

Morning all

I'm so hungry, I could eat a house!!!! Going to make some porridge with sultanas and apricots I think. Sounds good in my head, hopefully it is in reality.

Does anyone else wake up in the morning starvin Marvin? I would say most days I do.

Have a good day all

Penny x
That was me yesterday.. I was so hungry all day.. Whatever i'd eat would only fill me for an hour or so.. No filling me at all.. Until dinner!! Then I was so stuffed that I STILL fee full!!! Oops.. ha ha

Back