Pregnancy and Slimming World

Hiya,

How's everyone doing? I saw the midwife on Saturday for routine appointment and she showed some concern about my blood tests as the platelets level was up. I have an appointment with a consultant in ante-natal next week anyway to discuss my growth scan that I had on Monday.

Baby is growing fine but they said there's a lot more fluid than they'd expect at this point, so probably a good job I'm seeing ante-natal next week anyway!

I'm just hoping they won't want to take over and make me have a hospital birth. Guess it'll depend on the results of new blood tests?

Other than that, and feeling like my morning sickness is returning, I think I'm doing ok. Finish for maternity end of the month (but I'm part-time so only 12 working days left for me!). Can't wait, it's a long drive for me and I can't fit so good behind the wheel any more!

So if doing extra easy, that is 4 HEa's and 4 HEb's when exclusively breastfeeding? or am I reading that wrong. Seems like an awful lots.

Not entirely sure why it changes dependent on babies age though to be honest, that must of been put together by someone who has never breastfeed lol, because unfortunately age has nothing to do with how frequently a baby does or doesnt feed.

So if doing extra easy, that is 4 HEa's and 4 HEb's when exclusively breastfeeding? or am I reading that wrong. Seems like an awful lots.

Not entirely sure why it changes dependent on babies age though to be honest, that must of been put together by someone who has never breastfeed lol, because unfortunately age has nothing to do with how frequently a baby does or doesnt feed.

I assume the guidelines are written for red/green days based on the 2 A and B choices, as it does say "regular choices"

It does seem like lots and I was suprised. Even the 4 HEA's would mean a litre of semi skimmed milk, which I would struggle to drink. I mean I know you can have cheese too but still...

I would guess EE would be adjusted to go something like plus two instead of plus 4 normal HE's?

Baby's age
Up to 2 months - 3 (so total of 5)
2-3 months - 4 (6)
4-6 Months (if starting to wean)- 3 (5)
4-6 months (if breastmilk is the only source of nutrient for your baby) 4 (6)
Over 6 months when weaning - 1 (3)

It does say that you "can enjoy", doesnt say they have to be mandatory? Or I might be reading it wrong?

I'm just going whats in my wee pamphlet I got from my counsellor, I will ask at next WI for her to clarify if you would like, but it wont be til next week?

I've never done it before and have no idea what to expect apart from the horror stories of cracked nipples/engorged boobs/cabbage leaves etc which I'm firmly trying to ignore...

I assume the guidelines are written for red/green days based on the 2 A and B choices, as it does say "regular choices"

It does seem like lots and I was suprised. Even the 4 HEA's would mean a litre of semi skimmed milk, which I would struggle to drink. I mean I know you can have cheese too but still...

I would guess EE would be adjusted to go something like plus two instead of plus 4 normal HE's?

Baby's age
Up to 2 months - 3 (so total of 5)
2-3 months - 4 (6)
4-6 Months (if starting to wean)- 3 (5)
4-6 months (if breastmilk is the only source of nutrient for your baby) 4 (6)
Over 6 months when weaning - 1 (3)

It does say that you "can enjoy", doesnt say they have to be mandatory? Or I might be reading it wrong?

I'm just going whats in my wee pamphlet I got from my counsellor, I will ask at next WI for her to clarify if you would like, but it wont be til next week?

I've never done it before and have no idea what to expect apart from the horror stories of cracked nipples/engorged boobs/cabbage leaves etc which I'm firmly trying to ignore...

I highly recommend lanisoh cream, it is a godsend and you dont need to remove it from your nipples before breastfeeding.

Just look at lots of videos etc for correct latching on (I think there are some on youtube), and if you have a correct latch and baby hasnt got tongue tie or anything like that, then it shouldnt hurt at all, apart from maybe for the first few days while you nipples toughen up so to speak.

Also be prepared that milk can take about 5 days to properly come in, so don't be fooled into thinking you have no milk. Baby will most definately be getting lots of healthy colustrum which is brilliant for them.

Fingers crossed you have a good breastfeeding support network in your area too. Don't be scared to ask for help if you need it.

You will be fine I am sure :)

Kellysmom is a great site for information too

Yeah I think the increased healthy extras would be added to whatever HEs you're currently taking so if you're on a green or red and you have 4 HEs a day (2 As and 2 Bs) then you add the extra to that and if you're on Extra Easy and have just 1 A and 1 B then you just add the extra HEs to that. So obviously if you're on an extra easy day you'll be having fewer HEs than if you're on a red or green day. Hope that makes sense lol.

They've got a huge push on breastfeeding up here, and even as a student nurse I attended breast feeding support groups, but breast feeding was already well established by that point.

My Bounty pack form midwife has a breastfeeding dvd in it, and you get that at first appt.

Husband bought me a nipple balm for my Xmas (oh the romance!), that can be left on when breastfeeding so have put it in my baby box but will check out the lanisoh cream too.

I'm going to give it a damn good try!

How do you guys feel about washing baby clothes brand new from the shops? My friend asked me if I was doing this like it was unheard of to put them on the baby without washing first. When I was like err... I haven't thought about that, her eyes were a picture!! So is washing brand new baby clothes necessary? If so, what washing detergent would you recommend?? OMG all the things I need to learn!

How do you guys feel about washing baby clothes brand new from the shops? My friend asked me if I was doing this like it was unheard of to put them on the baby without washing first. When I was like err... I haven't thought about that, her eyes were a picture!! So is washing brand new baby clothes necessary? If so, what washing detergent would you recommend?? OMG all the things I need to learn!

I washed all my son's clothes and will do so this time round, with any new stuff I buy like clothes/blankets and towels etc.

Newborn babies have such sensitive skin and new clothes etc usually have a chemical in them.

Hi All!

I haven't been on here for months and months, but im back! i'm now 26+5days pregnant with my first baby! I recognise some of you lovely ladies, congratulations on your babies too! when are you all due?

I lost a lot of weight at the beginning of my pregnancy with horrible morning sickness, but as of today i'm 2lbs heavier than when i got my bfp! which is great! but im back on SW as of today and i'm going to hope to not put too much on.

I washed all my son's clothes and will do so this time round, with any new stuff I buy like clothes/blankets and towels etc.

Newborn babies have such sensitive skin and new clothes etc usually have a chemical in them.

Thanks Britmum! Do you have any recommendations as to what laundry detergent to use?

Fern I would suggest just washing as you need the clothes, don't wash them all at once. So maybe 6 sleep suits, onesies, blankets, muslins etc and as the baby needs more clothes you can wash some more. That's what I'm planning on doing anyway :D

Have to say I've prewashed all my baby stuff too. I've not ironed it, just folded it neatly and put it in my baby drawer! But then I bought some stuff second hand, and have been gifted some (edit)

Talking of which managed to get a musical cot mobile for £2.50 in Matalan yesterday and 3 wee patterned baby suits in Debenhams today for £4.20

I was in getting my first pregnancy bra fitting and whilst in a boned/wired bra I usually wore a 36F, woman fitted me and said my backs went down to a 34! but because its a non-wired bra I had to get a .....

drum roll....

36H!

She said that I might go up again but hopefully not by much so to go back if my cups start getting tight or cutting in :(

Last edited:
To Fern/Honeyoc

a non bio one is probably the best. I think I used to use fairy non bio, but don't quote me on that as it is such a long time now since I left the UK lol.

I would def only wash the stuff your little ones will be wearing straight away though, keep bigger sizes as they are with tags on, just incase u never get to use them, that way you can return them if possible or sell for a better price ;) than what you would get if tag was removed. People like their brand new with tags lol

welcome hon and congrats on your BFP! gosh youv found out early, your first tri is gunna feel like its gunna last forever LOL

mine did and i knew at 4+1 xx

Congratulations bunnylovesalan, you must be over the moon!

I've had a rubbish week - started lightly spotting on Tuesday so went to the docs who booked me in for a scan. Scan was on Thursday and they measured me early - about 5 weeks so could only see the egg sac and yolk. I've got to go back on the 14th for another scan when hopefully everything will be ok and we'll be able to see our baby.
I was terrified for the worst earlier in the week but thinking more positive now - spotting was only light and I've had no pain.
My symptoms have multiplied this week too - I'm more exhausted than ever, my boobs are really painful (and none of my old bras fit), and I've started feeling really nauseous and off food - all good signs though I think!
Wish me luck for the 14th - I'm very scared but hoping everything will be ok x

Back