Pregnancy and Slimming World

Just a quick question to all you lucky pregnant ladies....did you know you were pregnant before the test confirmed it?? i mean did you have any symptoms or did you just know and if you when did you know by? don't know if that makes sense to anyone but it does in my head :)

I had no idea, i did wonder why i'd had no period pain this month but just put it down to my body adjusting after being on the pill for so long, i only got symptoms after seeing my positive result on Sunday lol as come Monday i've had sharp 'oww' type pains which are now like heavy period pains blah!

Good luck with TTC x

i had sharp period pains and a 'tugging' sensation which id heard others talk about as inplantation pain.. so i wa suspicious. Mostly i'd been keeping an eye on any bodily fluids (yum!) and had noticed the change in that i was getting lots of creamy dishcharge, alot more than usual which i suspected was a sign as it gets thicker once your ovulation period is up, and thins to let sperm through when you are ov'ing. .. but as id been getting a fair bit i also wondered if it were a sign. I had no sore boobies or nausia though.. although i did have this feeling in the 'pit' of my tummy, almost like a bit of nerves or as if i were possible going to come down with somthing but felt fine otherwise. ..

but in my head i knew- not like other times iv thought i might be and have convinced myself over a few days before testing, this time was different, i was pregnant. I would have been shocked for a neg result, though kept reminding myself that it was mostly wishful thinking- so even though the adrenaline hit me when i saw a positive result.. i actually thought 'okay' and went off to turn the kettle on whilst i waited for it to load how many weeks LOL. I hadnt even missed a period yet. .. then i phoned my mum and started hyperventalating when it hit me hahaha

I didn't really have any symptoms. On the day I was due on I had some cramps and spotting (which really annoyed me as I honestly hoped that month was the month) which then stopped! That's when I was suspicious and two days later I took a test and got my BFP!

sarah i can imgaine your dissapointment! so im so glad you got your BFP! you must have had inplantation spotting as they call it.

- back in september my period was 6 days late. On day three i told Joe i was late, but because id been 3 days late before i decided to wait, day 4 came and went and began to hope.. day 5... then come day 6 i woke up and said 'well if were not pregnant then somthing must be wrong' because id never ever been 6 days late.. i didnt want to test though because part of me i think, knew i wasnt and i kept putting it off. Then at lunch time in work, i decided i would get a test after work, and as soon as id made that descion in my head.. i felt a 'trickle' and i came on thick and fast. It was horrible, i knew right there in that second it was all over and i was crushed. How i kept myself together the rest of the day i'l never know.

Can I ask a quick question. This is the first time I have told anyone that hubby & I have started to TTC this month . I get terrible period pains & take mefenamic acid (ponstan) in the run up to period & during. I am worried if I should take it & also pain killers as get terrible cramps even a week before my period arrives. Can get into the docs till monday?

hi hun, i avoided things at all costs... are you tummy pains that bad? could you go without? you can take paracetemal during pregnancy just fine but i really wanted to keep myself free of any type of meds if i could do.xx

Thanks everyone....good luck with ttc maypole!! this is the first month we have tried but since i had problems with my period when coming off the pill Im not holding out to much. By my period app workings out i should have ovululated yesterday but i think it was a couple of days before cause i had some little pains on one side which when i googled it sounded like ovulation pains so just got to relax and wait now! hopefully won't be to long before i am fingers crossed!!!

Thanks fernx yeah my pain is terrible I have ended up in A&E a few times. Will see if I can hack the pain till monday & see what the doc says

I had a negative test, had x2 periods and was still pregnant through them,lol

I slept for 6 hours today, oops, most of needed it with all my brain power on getting my dissertation handed in :D

Last edited:
Maypole -I can't tell you not to take your mefanamic acid, I don't like to see anyone in pain. What I will say though is to get to your docs ASAP and see what you can get it changed to, as Mef Acid is a NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-inflamatory drug) which is contra-indicated in pregnancy. NSAID's in pregnancy, especially Mef Acid are not good to take in pregnancy and should only be taken if pushed by your Doctor as the benefits outweighing the risk to pregnancy. You should tell your doctor if you are trying to get pregnant whilst taking this tablet as they may change you to something else.

Also you can take acetaminiphen (paracetamol) 2 x 500mg, 4 times daily/24 hour period - this is the normal adult dose as long as you have no previous problems taking it, or reasons why you cant take the 4grams daily, as its safe to take in pregnancy.

Squiggy - I didn't know I was pregnant at all. No pains, no Morning sickness, no nothing. Only thing that made me think and test was I went to have my coffee and it smel like BO! I love coffee, drink it til its coming out my ears. But wanted tea instead. So did a test and it was positive. Aside from the coffee and test I would have never known.

Only other thing I had was that month I had lots of extra discharge, but didn't think anything of it.

Thanks lexi I have decided lots of green days hot water bottles & keeping busy & will go to the docs on monday. What would you say about symbicort inhalers for asthma?

I can't say, I'm not a doctor. I would say that you shouldn't start or stop any medications without speaking to your doctor, regardless of ttc or not. Its why I said I can't tell you not to take it (the mef acid), and indeed the doc might decide the benefits outweigh the risks especially if you are so sore and I would never tell anyone to stop taking an inhaler, the potential impact on your lungs/breathing would be problematic.

Sorry to sound like a hard ass about this, but it's important that you talk to him/her as your first point of reference and if you are starting ttc conceive should really have all your meds looked over. If you have already started ttc its still important that you go and get them looked at. Don't panic reading this though, its the general advice that anyone on any medication would get about meds and ttc. In fact in most medication leaflets its usually stated "tell your doctor if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant"

I've had 3 pregnancies. At age 16, age 18, and at age 19 where I now have my son Jacob the little pickle!

The one at 16 and 19 I just knew I was preg I had this "feeling" and then I got strangely sore boobs and then a missed period confirmed it. The one at 18 I didn't know until missed period.

With the ones I ha the feelin though I was much further gone before my missed period thinking about it.

I have doctors today to find safest way to come off my pill and gonna ask for my bp checked and also my bloods taken if possible as I know I border anemic and I wanna be all healthy while ttc. I stopped smoking a month now and am bk on plan to lose 3 stone!!!

Let's hope doctor is ok. Feel bit nervous as it's a man doctor... Gonna feel odd to say "my pill is about to en and me n partner want to ttc" I still feel frowned upon for being young as I'm only just 24.... But I kno my stuff I been a nursery nurse I work in a surestart childrens centre earn a very good wage and most importnantly been a mom for 4 yrs!!!

Start weight: 14s 7lb Current weight: 13s 13lb Total loss: 8lb

Good luck Maypole, and Leanne - I'm sure your doc will be fine, and 24 is really not that young so I'm sure you won't be frowned upon.

Well I've discovered the secret to making myself feel more human on a work-day - going to bed at 8pm! Means I am without the horrible headache and although still feeling tired, not like I'm going to drop to sleep on my desk any minute. It's been ok this week as I've been home by 5 so at least had a bit of time, but next week I won't be home until 6 every night so it will be eat, bath, sleep! At least it will help me appreciate my weekends!

Also symptom-wise, my boobs seem to be hurting less now, so much so I can actually sleep without a bra on some nights. Also my cheeks are looking flushed quite often... could this be the pregnancy 'glow' finally arriving (typical that for me it just makes me look like I'm either blushing or really hot!)
Really excited to be going into second trimester tomorrow (I think... does 2nd tri start at 14 weeks?)

Thanks sarah!

I got loads of planning to do today as in the centre I deliver the antenal classes for early days at home session all about hospital visits and home visits and baby poo and baby massage and to settle a baby and what to expect and emotional well being like Pnd and baby blues and cord and skin care for baby. I love it :) I like making a difference and my class is different as I make fun activities as I find as a parent I wouldn't wanna sit there n be dictated to so I make it fun and interactive! Wish u all lived close and could come hehehehe xx

Start weight: 14s 7lb Current weight: 13s 13lb Total loss: 8lb

Sounds excellent Leanne!
TBH I'm finding the whole motherhood idea a bit daunting as I've never had babies in the family or any close friends with babies until very recently when my SILs baby was born last month - so I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible and learn as much as I can and I have - it's excellent timing really! I even changed my first nappy on Saturday which was better than I hoped it would be.
I know they say everything just comes to you naturally as a mother but I think it pays to be as prepared as possible (for my own peace of mind if nothing else!)

Back