Pregnancy and Slimming World

Anyone done SW whilst expecting?

I have heard that it is the only Midwife approved plan. I am not expecting but might start trying and was wondering if anyone had any experience? :)

Not to sound rude or anything, I have 2 kids and I know you're not supposed to diet whilst pregnant etc etc hence I am asking about healthy eating plan which is what SW is :)

Thank you in advance! x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Up until a few months ago, I was a SW Consultant. I am also a Midwife. I heartily recommend SW during pregnancy. You can certainly lose weight as many of my members did during their pregnancies.
One member finished her pregnancy 7lbs lighter than when she started, another reached target as she got pregnant and gained only 2 1/2 stone which she lost within a few months of returning.
However the guidance has recently changed and I believe the recommendations are now to maintain or limit weight gains in pregnancy.
From my experience, pregnant members have just as much success as non-pregnant members and weight loss may well be a bi-product of eating healthily. Talk to your Midwife and Slimming World Consultant for guidance and the very best of luck xxx

You have been so incredibly helpful, thank you so much! With my last 2 pregnancies I put on so much weight and I don't want to repeat it for so many reasons - its not healthy, I don't wanna get too big plus I am getting married in June 2013 and don't wanna be the size of a mountain!
Is it true that I need to be a member before I get pregnant and I won't get accepted if I already am pregnant? And do we need a form signed by our midwife?

Thank you again xxx

You don't need to have been a member at all. Just join like any other member and inform your consultant that you are expecting.
You will get a form for your midwife but i've never seen it filled in as midwives wont commit to suggesting a weight loss. That is something you can decide for yourself or with your SW consultant. If you do want health professional advice you could ask for an appointment with the obstetric consultant around your 20 wk scan to discuss it.
In the meantime, follow the plan like everyone else xx

Congrats to the newbies. Hope u are all having nice pregnancies so far.

I have been put on bed rest. My Bp is high and my heart rate is high too :( xx

Ohhh fnm I hope u get better soon!! :( Theres lots of bugs going around at the min which are making a lot of preg people I kno have trouble.

Well I have nesting back.... Again.... God why couldn't I have it all the time!! My house is gleaming! Even the radiators and doors!! Over done it though as I now have back ache and my hips ache! Oops. So I am gonna chill in the bath and then do
Some online Xmas shopping for the kids with the other half!

Have also packed a bag for both josh and Jacob incase I go into labour at a time we have both kids. So they have a little bag each and baby has a hospital
Bag and I have a hospital bag... My god it's starting to feel real! 4 weeks to go! Hoping baby comes week before or then decides to stay put until after new years day!! Who knows!! But that's what I would like. The tjought if labour on Xmas day does not appeal!

My little boys nativity play was awsome! He looked so sweet! I cried lol he also
Said at the dinner table today "I know we can call the baby Jesus" I said why and his reply was "because Jesus is the most special baby in the whole of the land, and that's what my brother is" awwwwwwwwww

Start weight: 14s 7lb pre-preg: 13s13lb current at 35 weeks preg: 14s 7lb

I'm a midwife too. I find the whole 'permission' to do SW whilst pregnant, hilarious. The nutritional training of midwives and obstetricians is so basic, close to nil. SW isn't a diet as such, just recommended healthy eating plan. Nobody tries to tell women living off KFC to change their diet. Virtually no one seems to promote the importance of fruit/veg in pregnancy. Just basic advice on danger foods, like liver. Yet, people doing a healthy, high veg, health department recommended diet need permission from people not even trained in nutrition to attend. In light of the obesity crisis among antenatal women, and the huge risks this puts on them and their pregnancy, you'd think sensible eating plans like SW would be recommended. Particularly as morbidly obese people are usually malnourished and lack certain amino acids and nutrients necessary for healing- which considering obesity has a higher rate of caesarean section, is worrying.

One of our consultants (as in obstetrician, not SW) gives obese patients targets to stay the same in pregnancy, which amounts to a loss once baby's born

I very much agree with your view! Thank you very much for sharing. I am 5'7 and just under 16 st from my last pregnancies and I am desperate not to gain any more to avoid all sorts of problems!

Hi ladies,

Just to let you know I had my baby boy at 02:27 on 4th December, he was born at exactly 35 weeks after only an hour labour! He weighs 5lb 6oz and we have called him Finley. We're still in hospital as he's not quite got his sucking reflex so we will be here until he can drink all of his bottles himself! He's doing so well though, our little girl was born at 33 weeks and was in Special Care for almost 4 weeks so I really don't mind how long we're in, as long as he's here with me!

I can't wait to get started on SW once I'm home, the food here is just awful, it really does live up to the stereotypical hospital food!!

Congratulations Jo Jo on your little boy, hope you're both doing well

Sara xx

Congrats sarac :) lovely name! Hope you are well and ohhh myyy gooodddd what a fast labour lol did you have fast one with lg?

Well been midwife today and baby is 4/5 engaged.... Can't remember the scaling if anyone can help? She didn't tell me I just read it myself...

Start weight: 14s 7lb pre-preg: 13s13lb current at 35 weeks preg: 14s 7lb

Its harder than you think to stick to me when pregnant - or maybe thats just me lol
i just dont seem to fancy my third superfree (unless u could pickled onions which although an eating a lot wouldnt be a third). I fancy cheese with crackers - i hate crackers normally, i have had a christmas box in the cuboard for 1 year which I have now binned last week for being out of date!! i have bought a load of fresh ones...

oh and break, really fancy that too.... i did syn free chips in it but with sweet chilli sauce.

However I have just gone through 5 consecutive days of craving chilli con carne - and that was syn free. However I also ate a tin (yes a tin) of miniture heros.

but one thing I have learnt - do not replace alcohol with the expensive nice tasting soft drinks. In my first pregnancy with my daughter I seemed to have an addiction to peartiser, appletiser and fruitiser, elderflower sparkling drinks etc etc.... they are so high in calories, hence syns ..... no wonder i put so much weight on!

Wow I need some motivation, I started back on Sw Fri, Fri was great, sat was good until tea was a disaster, Sunday was a write off, yesterday stuck to plan 100% them today again but just had crazy few moments devoured 2 ice lollies, and a toffee crisp. Why don't I have the will power? I came on here and it made me put the malteasers back, any tips to keep on track?
Thanks

Thank you so much for the advice! I can imagine it must be so hard to diet whilst pregnant! With my last 2 pregnancies I ate what I wanted and I would've kicked anyone who mentioned the word diet.
But I hadn't heard of slimming world then. So I am hoping to be much better this time! Sometimes the cravings are just in your head aren't they :) I don't plan to deprive but hoping to make better SW choices...
How far gone are you?

36 weeks preg and lost a pound making a total of just 7pound in my pregnancy. Chuffed with that!

Start weight: 14s 7lb pre-preg: 13s13lb current at 36 weeks preg: 14s 6lb

Leeanne910 said:
36 weeks preg and lost a pound making a total of just 7pound in my pregnancy. Chuffed with that!

Start weight: 14s 7lb pre-preg: 13s13lb current at 36 weeks preg: 14s 6lb

Well done, that's really good, I'd be really happy with that too x

Back