Pregnancy and Slimming World

Basically I was told that I had to be monitored at 3cm constantly, and that they couldn't induce me if I went over chemically only a sweep then I was kind of rushed out, so I want to know how I'm meant to know I'm at 3 cm and when will I be offered my first sweep, how long will I have to go naturally into labour and what happens when I reach 32 weeks, I've also read you can't be offered the drip if labour slows which I had last time, so I want to know if that's true and what happens if labour slows, I want to know if baby keeps showing breech how long they'll let me go, I was advised against tens machine last time so I want to know if I Can use it, also if I'm allowed to consider a water birth, I want to know if I Can refuse a forceps delivery straight out, and a couple other bits but I'll defo let you know the answers to my questions x

I meant 42 weeks, I want to know how many things will likely lead to an emergency c section to confirm that my choice of a vbac is the right decision x

Well had my appointment, firstly I saw a female doctor who made it clear she wasn't impressed I had an appointment just to ask questions but I told her I was sick of being rushed through my appointments and I wanted some proper answers. From then she looked like she was making an effort to answer me properly but you could see she was just entertaining me, but I got the answers I wanted so can't complain too much.
We covered that I have to be hooked up to the monitors constantly, and although I can still use my birthing ball or stand through contractions I can't go far or go for a walk etc. They've said having an epidural increases the risk of needing an assisted delivery but they use ventouse over forcep's wherever possible, they said being over weight, having a big baby or having had a previous section due to slow labour increases the risk of needing an emergency c section. When I'm in labour if I don't progress half a cm an hour they will then discuss me having a section as they won't push to force my body into labour using the drip etc as it puts too much pressure on my body and scar. She also said if babies are breech at this stage - 27 weeks, then only 1 fifth will turn by 36 weeks so if baby is breech at that scan they'll discuss options then as they dont always offer to turn the baby as it can put pressure on the scar. My first sweep will be at 41 weeks only, if baby hasn't come by 42 weeks they can try breaking my water to induce labour naturally and discuss induction and c section pro's and con's incase it doesn't work. If baby is big at 36 week scan I can request section from 39 weeks, I can also request section at anytime if baby doesn't come, ie my notes can say Vbac unless baby hasn't come by 39 weeks I want section at 40 etc. She says only a tiny amount of people who have an emergency section end up with a general anesthetic so I was just unlucky last time. I think that's it, it might help for you in the same situation x

Hi hun,
At my hospital they offer a vbac clinic where you go and discuss your options wiv a dr before making up your mind if you want a planned section or try for natural birth. Last time I tried for vbac option most of information ur dr gave you was similar apart from I had a sweep just b4 40 wks which I found quite painful they did offer me further sweeps if I wanted them but I didn't want anymore, but I was told I wud have a planned section at 40 wks if baby hadnt arrive by then but they made me wait another 2 wks different dr! They did say to me I wud need to go to hospital as soon as labour starts up and I wud be hooked up on a machine and monitored the whole time, and would have a drip put in ready just incase anything happens and need a section. I'm kind of glad this time I wont have to wait till 42 wks and not knowing if im going have a section or natural birth even though I am still bit nervous about having a section. Also when I had my emergency section wiv my first, it wasnt done under a general I was a wake hun.

Hope todays made you feel better about trying vbac if your still going a head wiv it x

Yes I'm more positive now that a vbac is best for me, I did see in my notes somewhere that when I go into labour they'll fit an iv thing in case I need a drip at short notice. She's confident that even with an emergency section that this time I'll prob be awake, which I'm glad about she did say that even with all the risks I have a 70% chance of successful vbac she says it's better than it sounds but I can change my mind at any time. I'm looking forward to my next scan now x

Yeah I think I need to feel like I've at least tried again, I do feel like I failed labour a bit the first time but I know if I end up with another section then it wasn't meant to be. I just try and remember it really doesn't matter how I give birth as long as I've got my children. I don't know how many sections your allowed though. Or does it just depend on how the previous ones went? x

Hi Oasis, there isn't really a standard amount of c sections you can have, although lots of people are told it's 3. I was given the ok to have a 4th, that went fine, and I will be having section number 5 in September.

If you want lots of children it is definitely something to bear in mind though, I wish I had realised I wanted so many children after my first section, I would have tried a VBAC rather than opting for another section. I was actually due to have a VBAC with my third, which is slightly more unusual, but unfortunately my bp went sky high, and I was not allowed to have it.

Good luck with whatever happens, fingers crossed you get your VBAC. x

Cas3 said:
I've never felt I failed labour or missed out on anything maybe as it was different for me cos I still got to see my babies being born. I think it just depends on the individual but your usually allowed at least 3 x

I'm positive I'd feel different if I saw the birth but I was out of it and quite groggy after x

bailey80 said:
Hi Oasis, there isn't really a standard amount of c sections you can have, although lots of people are told it's 3. I was given the ok to have a 4th, that went fine, and I will be having section number 5 in September.

If you want lots of children it is definitely something to bear in mind though, I wish I had realised I wanted so many children after my first section, I would have tried a VBAC rather than opting for another section. I was actually due to have a VBAC with my third, which is slightly more unusual, but unfortunately my bp went sky high, and I was not allowed to have it.

Good luck with whatever happens, fingers crossed you get your VBAC. x

Thank you, yeah I want at least 3 not sure hubby will agree to more than 3 though he he but I'd like to have to option where possible. I want my vbac also because after my section last time the wound stayed open for 9 weeks so the first few weeks with baby where harder than they should have been and I still couldn't drive which was a bit of a nightmare. I, number 5 your last then? Or do you want more? x

No, this will be my last, I will possibly get sterilised, having decided yet. Im not brave enough to have any more, tbh Im terrified of having this one, the doctors and midwives say it will be fine, but Im really scared the placenta will implant in my scar and there will be problems with section. If me and baby get through this ok, I will be over the moon and so happy, I wont risk any more.

9 weeks? poor you, that sounds awful x

Hi ladies

Just struck me that I haven't bn on here in ages, Charlie is now 5 weeks old n I'm back at sw 6lbs lighter than bfp weight! Yay!!!!

I had a speedy delivery, had regular twinges in my back on the Monday evening and rang hospital as they were every 4 mins but nt too sore, they wanted me to come up to get checked as they were so close together, I expected them to say 2cms at most but I was 6! Half hour later was 9cms so Into the pool, 58 mins later after 8 mins of pushing he arrived!!! Perfect!!!!

Just thought I'd share a positive story cause I was a petrified first timer!

Congratulations on baby Charlie and your weightloss- you've done brilliant! enjoy being a new mum, take lots of pic's cos they really do grow fast!

Oasis I am so gratful I was wake during my sections, can't imagine what it must of been like to miss out on birth I def wud be disapointed if I don't get to see my baby being born x

Bailey try not to be scared I know its hard, im nervous about my section just incase anything goes wrong. I know its unlikely but I think you worry more when you got other children to think of I know its different for me as its only my 3rd but im just trying to think about meeting my baby to get me through it x

Ive gained 1lb this wk, about 6lb in total, good luck to any other friday wi's.

2lbs on this week :(
Plus iv started to notice the fat building in my neck

I've noticed the fat at the back of my neck which I find really strange, because I don't think I've put on that much!

It's nasty, getting a proper turkey neck thing going on

No, this will be my last, I will possibly get sterilised, having decided yet. Im not brave enough to have any more, tbh Im terrified of having this one, the doctors and midwives say it will be fine, but Im really scared the placenta will implant in my scar and there will be problems with section. If me and baby get through this ok, I will be over the moon and so happy, I wont risk any more.

9 weeks? poor you, that sounds awful x

babe im on number five but third c section i understand your fears as i had the same ..placenta has moved up though so thats good im sure you will be fine ...my last section took over an hour befor they could even get near the baby because i had so much scar tissue and organs all stuck together so i am slightly nervous that they wont mess my bladder up ... i really wanted to try vbac again this time not sure why as the two i had were hard going and complicated. they have strongle advised against it as they say if they had to do an emergency section it would put to much risk on babys life or on my body

have you had them say this with any of yours?

Hi sweetchant1lly, I have been lucky so far, no major complications with any of my sections, my bladder was stuck to my uterus and had to be separated during my last section but apart from that I have been fine, I actually have to see a urologist in May though because somethings not right with my bladder and hasnt been since my last section, I get constant infections and loads of pain, dont know if this is related to the section or not, I hope not.

I wasnt encouraged to have a vbac with any of them, even my second baby, I wish I had been now. I have always been told, at least after my 3rd that if I go into labour it will be an emergency section, I went into labour with my last, rushed to the hospital prepared for my section, but they were too busy to do it and left me in labour for 3 days before eventually doing an emergency section at 1am after baby got distressed and I was 4cm by this point. I was so angry with them, I think this has also contributed to my fear about this next one.

Have you already had a vbac after 3 sections? I dont know if many hospitals would be happy for you to vbac after 3 sections, my hospital allowed vbac after one c section, I made a fuss and they said I could try with my third baby, so after 2 sections, but they were not happy about it, unfortunately my bp went up so this was not possible in the end. It is something to think about, ultimately they cant make you have a section, but 3 sections is a lot, dont think I would be brave enough, lol. but if you want more children, I would ask for a second opinion x

Back