Pregnancy and Slimming World

I have now woken up in PAIN!!!!

Doesn't feel like how I would expect contractions to feel... Just actual pain. :-( it's not coming and going, it's constant.

All down my left hand side of my tummy and across the bottom of my back. Anyone who has had a baby might be able to shed some light into it. If it's still here in a while I am going to ring midwife to check as it it v painful and not so much a pressure pain :-( x

I have now woken up in PAIN!!!!

Doesn't feel like how I would expect contractions to feel... Just actual pain. :-( it's not coming and going, it's constant.

All down my left hand side of my tummy and across the bottom of my back. Anyone who has had a baby might be able to shed some light into it. If it's still here in a while I am going to ring midwife to check as it it v painful and not so much a pressure pain :-( x

Looks like the start of things especially with the pain in the lower back, thats how things started off with me with my first, a lower back and tummy ache x

Looks like the start of things especially with the pain in the lower back, thats how things started off with me with my first, a lower back and tummy ache x

Thanks!! Almost makes it worth it... Almost!! Lol.

I've still packed hubby off to work even tho he wanted to stay at home ... Could be a long long time yet I guess!!

I'm going to try get some more sleep ( if at all possible)

Can I ask do the pains change into on/ off pains?? I always assume that's what contractions would be like?? X

Cai, paracetamol, and sleep while you can. Labour is more likely to kick off at night when it's dark and quiet and safe to birth. If you can't sleep then walk!!!! Could well be things starting.

Missy, I'm not sure about reflux but every pg I've been plagued by heartburn. I swig on gaviscon advance from the bottle, it helps. Acid traveling up to my throat is horrible.

Last edited:
Glad you're feeling a bit better Dougal, I never had to take anything as I was fortunately not that vomit-y (although the nausea was pretty much constant for about 6 weeks) but the only things that made the nausea go were dry, salty snacky things. I found salty popcorn to be really good too and not too unhealthy! Crackers sound like a good option, much healthier than the salt and vinegar crisps and mountains of toast that I lived on ;)

Cake - omg, how are you gonna cope now he knows? I'd have to know now if I were you! You're a brave woman lol ;)

Rjg - that does sound scary, hope you're well rested now!

Me? Had a horrible day at work today, so busy and half the office was off sick. I only got half my lunch break which didn't help then I had to leave early for midwife appt, which my boss forgot about and he dropped a tonne of work on me 15 minutes before I had to go. Ended up leaving late and having to speed crutch it up to my appointment! I'm getting so frustrated with work now, maybe I'm just paranoid but I swear people think I'm putting it all on for sympathy or something. I just keep telling myself that I only have 4 weeks and 3 days left - it's not exactly flying by at the moment though! My feet are massive, my hands aren't much better and I'm sleep deprived, in pain with my hips and generally grumpy. Just had tea cooked for me at mums though which was wonderful and v healthy too (veggie cottage pie, cooked SW friendly!) so that makes me happy :)

Hope you're all well ladies xxx

I can cope. I'm so convinced its a girl anyway. I have a bag of pink clothes to wash dry and iron. I could be wasting my time but I might not be and it'll all be so useful if baby is a girl.

I hope work is better today.

Thanks for all the advice ladies.
Well I went to docs in quite a state (I threw up 15 mins before my appt- I only live 5 mins so made it in time just!) and she's prescribed me with Cyclizine.
Any one else had them?
Have to take 3 times a day and I've taken 2 already and I feel better!
Popped to Tesco to get my prescription (I love not having to pay!) and whilst there, I picked up Jacob's cream crackers and McVitie's Digestives and they are doing the trick!
Tempted to put some Flora on the crackers as they are so dry on their own, but don't want to upset my tummy again.

Re: weight gain in pg- I hopped on scales this morning and I was 10st 12.8lbs which is out of target range!
It's clearly down to yesterday so I'm sure it'll go up by WI tomorrow!

I'm not following SW one little bit at the moment- it's too difficult with MS but as long as I get to 12 weeks without going out of target range (at top end, which is 11st 6lbs) I'll be happy.
As soon as MS has buggered off I'll get back to SW properly, as although I'm not too worried about how much I gain, I don't want to gain too much!
If I finish PG with no more than 2 stone gain, I'll be chuffed!
If it's more? Ah well, I know how to lose it!

4 weeks tomorrow until first scan eek!
Right now, I'd like to fall asleep and wake up on November 6th :)

So so excited!!

Good luck with the meds. I had HG with my first two pg's, I didn't eat, I just vomited bile for 20 weeks. It was horrific. I never took meds for it as my mother scared me with 80's scare stories. :-/ so I suffered which is crazy. I hope they work for you but baby will grow regardless of what you eat but keep those fluids down.

Good luck with the meds. I had HG with my first two pg's, I didn't eat, I just vomited bile for 20 weeks. It was horrific. I never took meds for it as my mother scared me with 80's scare stories. :-/ so I suffered which is crazy. I hope they work for you but baby will grow regardless of what you eat but keep those fluids down.

OMG sounds like my actual worst nightmare...

Those stories have put me off having any sort of meds injections... ie.. Flu Jab.. MMR.. And isn't there 1 other???
Saying that I won't even take paracetemol which is completely safe.. And I know it.. But I still wont.. NUT JOB!!

Morning ladies, hope we are all today.

I'm feeling a lot better today- the meds seem to have done the trick and I'm actually contemplating having cheese on toast for breakfast! It'll be first proper meal in days!
Been getting loads of water down me, small sips, as GP said, so not to aggregate my tummy any further.

Hubby had best friend over last night and he reckons its a girl and he's been 100% accurate with both of his children (both boys) and several other friends and families. He seems to be very intuitive and he actually said it before I told him that I think its a girl!

4 weeks today until my scan :D
Excited doesn't cover it!!

Cai- sounds like the start of things. Good luck, hope it all goes well. How exciting! (And you must be relieved if it is, I can't imagine being overdue!)

Those stories have put me off having any sort of meds injections... ie.. Flu Jab.. MMR.. And isn't there 1 other???
Saying that I won't even take paracetemol which is completely safe.. And I know it.. But I still wont.. NUT JOB!!
My GP is worried that's its HG so I've got to go back next week to see her, hopefully with these meds the MS will have done a runner!
I've been told to get a Flu Jab, but I'm going to wait until out of first trimester.
Your GP wouldn't prescribe anything, if it wasn't safe for you to take.
She told me paracetemol is completely safe and to be honest I'd rather take it then suffer.
Best friend who's got 2 healthy girls took paracetemol, had flu jabs and anti sickness meds in both pregnancies.

My GP is worried that's its HG so I've got to go back next week to see her, hopefully with these meds the MS will have done a runner!
I've been told to get a Flu Jab, but I'm going to wait until out of first trimester.
She told me paracetemol is completely safe and to be honest I'd rather take it then suffer.
Best friend who's got 2 healthy girls took paracetemol, had flu jabs and anti sickness meds in both pregnancies.
I know 100% paracetemol is safe.. But my mind goes into overdrive sometimes.. And I wanted and tried for this for so long that i'm scared i'll do something to harm/lose it.. I guess its my only way of protecting baby for now...
As flu jab.. my doc highly recommends it as i'll be pregnant right thru flu season..
My issue is.. The swine flu jab is now mixed into the flul jab (in ROI, dunno about the UK) and that hasn't been through long term testing to know what possible effects having it during pregnancy may have in the future.. its not been around long enough for them to have tested it...

Don't get me wrong... I have no opinion on other people taking anything and as you say... docs wouldn't knowingly prescribe something that was potentially harmful.. And I know I am being over protective of everything.. But its just my way..
I find a (half) can of full fat coke usually does a better job of shifting a headache for me anyway as paracetemol has NO effect.. And I have 4head which was recommended and does a great job, so need for any pain killer...

Yay to the meds working, get some cheese on toast in you!

I know 100% paracetemol is safe.. But my mind goes into overdrive sometimes.. And I wanted and tried for this for so long that i'm scared i'll do something to harm/lose it.. I guess its my only way of protecting baby for now...
As flu jab.. my doc highly recommends it as i'll be pregnant right thru flu season..
My issue is.. The swine flu jab is now mixed into the flul jab (in ROI, dunno about the UK) and that hasn't been through long term testing to know what possible effects having it during pregnancy may have in the future.. its not been around long enough for them to have tested it...

Don't get me wrong... I have no opinion on other people taking anything and as you say... docs wouldn't knowingly prescribe something that was potentially harmful.. And I know I am being over protective of everything.. But its just my way..
I find a (half) can of full fat coke usually does a better job of shifting a headache for me anyway as paracetemol has NO effect.. And I have 4head which was recommended and does a great job, so need for any pain killer...
Yeh I can totally understand about being over protective, it's natural to.
And to be perfectly honest, paracetemol does NOTHING for me at all so I haven't actually taken any since being PG.
I need stronger painkillers really, ESP as I used to suffer with migraines, I'm used to co-codemol.
Not sure about the flu jab over here, I just know I've been told I must have it!

OK.. So I need opinions.. Please be honest.. No offence will be taken either way...

My best friend.. Elaine.. Has a friend, who I've not met but know from Elaine that she is a lovely lovely girl.. Had a baby who is now 5 months.. She is having a clear out of stuff baby has outgrown (not clothes) and was going to throw them out.. But she wanted to offer them to me before she done so.. Not sure what's in it exactly but there is a moses basket.. She has stressed she'd be in no way insulted if I said no, but she wanted to offer rather than just throw them in the bin... I have said yea great.. Thanks.. But now am thinking "Ooh... is that awful.. Maybe I should have said no" Now I know 110% she'll boil/disinfect everything before giving it, and i'll re-do it for peace of mind if I take them.. But is it awful being our first baby, taking second hand???
Either way.. I will buy a new and have her one for the bedroom rather than carrying the new one up n down and i'll get a new matress etc...

Yay to the meds working, get some cheese on toast in you!
Haha it's under the grill now, I'm actually salivating at the thought of it, man am I hungry!

I know it frightened me but things have changed, I was the same 1st pg I wouldn't even have a paracetamol but honestly it's fine. There's no need to suffer. I've taken about 8 paracetamol this pg for headaches and stomach cramps during a bug. I have friends on cocodomol so paracetamol is fine.

OK.. So I need opinions.. Please be honest.. No offence will be taken either way...

My best friend.. Elaine.. Has a friend, who I've not met but know from Elaine that she is a lovely lovely girl.. Had a baby who is now 5 months.. She is having a clear out of stuff baby has outgrown (not clothes) and was going to throw them out.. But she wanted to offer them to me before she done so.. Not sure what's in it exactly but there is a moses basket.. She has stressed she'd be in no way insulted if I said no, but she wanted to offer rather than just throw them in the bin... I have said yea great.. Thanks.. But now am thinking "Ooh... is that awful.. Maybe I should have said no" Now I know 110% she'll boil/disinfect everything before giving it, and i'll re-do it for peace of mind if I take them.. But is it awful being our first baby, taking second hand???
Either way.. I will buy a new and have her one for the bedroom rather than carrying the new one up n down and i'll get a new matress etc...
I would take the stuff- I understand about it being first baby and I'm the same, I'd want all new stuff but money's tight so any second hand stuff (if in good condition) I'd take.
My best friend I'm going to see next month (she lives in Belgium) is giving me loads of stuff, I'm only limited by how much I can carry onto the Eurostar to get it all home!

Yeh I can totally understand about being over protective, it's natural to.
And to be perfectly honest, paracetemol does NOTHING for me at all so I haven't actually taken any since being PG.
I need stronger painkillers really, ESP as I used to suffer with migraines, I'm used to co-codemol.
Not sure about the flu jab over here, I just know I've been told I must have it!

Yea I have suffered for years with headache (and migraine but not so much in the past few years thankfully) but thankfully have a low immunity to painkillers so haven't needed prescription pain killers.. I can't even take 2 nurofen without feeling stones..lol
But I do need a nurofen to shift the pain.. Tho since discovering 4head I'll continue to use that rather than take something even after pregnancy...
My doctor just said he "highly recommends" it but TBH I have never had a full blown flu and very rarely get past a head cold, n OK its not nice but I think I'll skip it.. I know I've a lower immune system than normal but as long as I eat properly and keep my vit C high I think i'll be OK.. So far everyone around me has been choking and coughing and spluttering and I've managed to not catch anything..

Haha it's under the grill now, I'm actually salivating at the thought of it, man am I hungry!
YUM YUM...
I would take the stuff- I understand about it being first baby and I'm the same, I'd want all new stuff but money's tight so any second hand stuff (if in good condition) I'd take.
My best friend I'm going to see next month (she lives in Belgium) is giving me loads of stuff, I'm only limited by how much I can carry onto the Eurostar to get it all home!
Yea, like, I know it'll be immaculate.. She's used it on both her babies and I mean... They only last in it a couple of months so what damage can come to it?! I think I'm just feeling guilty giving baby second hand...
Although I wouldn't take second hand clothes.. They're so cheap anyway there's no need..

See I'm in a different boat- I've actually got low immunity to infection and this was discovered before I got my BFP and so far I've had 2 rotten colds and I'm only 8 weeks!
So, as much as I dislike needles, I'm going to brave it and have the jab.

Back