Pregnancy and Slimming World

OK.. So I need opinions.. Please be honest.. No offence will be taken either way...

My best friend.. Elaine.. Has a friend, who I've not met but know from Elaine that she is a lovely lovely girl.. Had a baby who is now 5 months.. She is having a clear out of stuff baby has outgrown (not clothes) and was going to throw them out.. But she wanted to offer them to me before she done so.. Not sure what's in it exactly but there is a moses basket.. She has stressed she'd be in no way insulted if I said no, but she wanted to offer rather than just throw them in the bin... I have said yea great.. Thanks.. But now am thinking "Ooh... is that awful.. Maybe I should have said no" Now I know 110% she'll boil/disinfect everything before giving it, and i'll re-do it for peace of mind if I take them.. But is it awful being our first baby, taking second hand???
Either way.. I will buy a new and have her one for the bedroom rather than carrying the new one up n down and i'll get a new matress etc...

4head is genius stuff isn't it!

Take it!!! Babies grow so fast. And all the money you've spent will feel like its floated out of the window! See if the Moses basket mattress is washable. If so wash it. If not maybe think about replacing the mattress? But if its from a trusted source where you know baby hasn't been ill it should be fine.

I bought my Moses basket on tesco direct using my club card points and tesco boost. It was freeeeeee lol!!!!! :)

Haha it's under the grill now, I'm actually salivating at the thought of it, man am I hungry!

I know you're making me hungry and I've had Vegemite on toast already this morning!

Going to have a 3syn cappuccino!

YUM YUM...

Yea, like, I know it'll be immaculate.. She's used it on both her babies and I mean... They only last in it a couple of months so what damage can come to it?! I think I'm just feeling guilty giving baby second hand...
Although I wouldn't take second hand clothes.. They're so cheap anyway there's no need..
Just destroyed the cheese on toast, man it was good! I suddenly want more!!!

Yeh I understand, I'd feel guilty about giving baby second hand, but baby will never know and if it's saves some money...
Agree on the clothes- I shall be buying those in the new year sales and Primark and George @ Asda are so cheap anyway plus my sister works for Peacocks and gets 20% discount! result!
My best friend is giving me loads of clothes, as we are same height, weight, build and same taste in colours and styles (we should have been sisters!) and she's got stuff that's only been worn once!

I know you're making me hungry and I've had Vegemite on toast already this morning!

Haha! It was very good! I think my body is just glad of some food, I'm considering having some more...

Busy morning girls! Trying to catch up lol ;)

Meds - I took nothing at all until just short of 12 weeks and was terrified of taking medication. Got myself into a complete state when I got an infected tooth and had to take antibiotics. Then again when I had to have another course and the tooth removed (with anaesthetic which of course also terrified me as it was another thing I had to take!). I really didn't want the tooth out but weighing it up the constant infections were probably worse for my health and baby's than the tooth removal was in the end. I was in **** loads of pain afterwards so had to take paracetamol and also gave in a took one codeine that I had been prescribed. Then another course of antibiotics recently for a water infection. Tbh I've got to the point now where I have had no choice but to take certain things and I have just had to trust my doctor to do the right thing by me. It's been the only way I could cope and getting stressed out wasn't helping. I'm very much pro vaccination so having my flu jab on Saturday and whooping cough as soon as I can get an appt. The whooping cough vax is a no brainer for me - the idea of a tiny baby with that horrible illness just terrifies me tbh. It's hard because no meds are tested on pregnant women because it's unethical to do so - which makes things harder for us. But then who'd volunteer themselves as a trial? I know I wouldn't. All you have to go on is prior safe usage and there are always risks involved. Just hoping that I make the right choices but my right choices won't be the same as another persons right choices. It's tough.

Re second hand - I hope it's ok to have second hand things for your first baby because pretty much all of our stuff is second hand :/ We have been given a lot of stuff by friends and we are v short of money. My theory is that the baby ain't gonna care how much you spent on its clothes but I do feel guilty sometimes, I wish I could give him the best of everything. We're not gonna use the second hand bottles we've been given (I feel weird about that for some reason!) and the pram and car seat are gonna be new (I insisted on those being new) and the second hand Moses basket and cot will have new mattresses and sheets. All the second clothes (and the new ones too tbh!) are getting a good washing. I don't see anything wrong with it but I do feel guilty at the same time for not having brand new stuff for him. I would say take it, you can always charity shop anything you don't want.

I'm starting to feel down again and it's worrying me tbh - little things are upsetting me and I hate feeling so fragile! I keep getting comments about how huge I am and when I'm out with my crutches people just stare. Wish I could just hide in the house and eat cake! x

Last edited:
4head is genius stuff isn't it!

Take it!!! Babies grow so fast. And all the money you've spent will feel like its floated out of the window! See if the Moses basket mattress is washable. If so wash it. If not maybe think about replacing the mattress? But if its from a trusted source where you know baby hasn't been ill it should be fine.

I bought my Moses basket on tesco direct using my club card points and tesco boost. It was freeeeeee lol!!!!! :)
Ooh never thought of washable matress.. I'd have just replaced it...
I'll check that.. Thanks.. I have bought the Dettol Laundry stuff thats new out?? So will use that if its possible..
Oh yea I know 100% she'd be safe and her babies are and have been fine..

Love a good freebie... Tho in fairness not completely free as you had to spend to get those points but YAY.. :)

First thing I have when baby gets here is a LARGE skinny cappuccino... I am DYING for a "real" coffee..
Just destroyed the cheese on toast, man it was good! I suddenly want more!!!

Yeh I understand, I'd feel guilty about giving baby second hand, but baby will never know and if it's saves some money...
Agree on the clothes- I shall be buying those in the new year sales and Primark and George @ Asda are so cheap anyway plus my sister works for Peacocks and gets 20% discount! result!
My best friend is giving me loads of clothes, as we are same height, weight, build and same taste in colours and styles (we should have been sisters!) and she's got stuff that's only been worn once!

Haha! It was very good! I think my body is just glad of some food, I'm considering having some more...
Yup.. Pennys (primark) all the way :D Love them.. So cheap there's no need for second hand.. And baby (mine) will be in only cute babygro's for the first few months anyway.. We don't have Asda so no George for me :( and there's only a few Tesco's over here that do clothes n none near me so its Pennys, Next (love there clothes n think they're really cheap and great quality) & Marks n Spencer...

Clothes for me I'd take off anyone.. lol.. But being a fatty none of my friends are my size

I found out yesterday that primark do maternity jeans! They're too small for me but would be great for anyone under a size 18 and they are only £10. Sorry if you all already know this, thought it was worth mentioning tho. X

Last edited:
Busy morning girls! Trying to catch up lol ;)

Meds - I took nothing at all until just short of 12 weeks and was terrified of taking medication. Got myself into a complete state when I got an infected tooth and had to take antibiotics. Then again when I had to have another course and the tooth removed (with anaesthetic which of course also terrified me as it was another thing I had to take!). I really didn't want the tooth out but weighing it up the constant infections were probably worse for my health and baby's than the tooth removal was in the end. I was in **** loads of pain afterwards so had to take paracetamol and also gave in a took one codeine that I had been prescribed. Then another course of antibiotics recently for a water infection. Tbh I've got to the point now where I have had no choice but to take certain things and I have just had to trust my doctor to do the right thing by me. It's been the only way I could cope and getting stressed out wasn't helping. I'm very much pro vaccination so having my flu jab on Saturday and whooping cough as soon as I can get an appt. The whooping cough vax is a no brainer for me - the idea of a tiny baby with that horrible illness just terrifies me tbh. It's hard because no meds are tested on pregnant women because it's unethical to do so - which makes things harder for us. But then who'd volunteer themselves as a trial? I know I wouldn't. All you have to go on is prior safe usage and there are always risks involved. Just hoping that I make the right choices but my right choices won't be the same as another persons right choices. It's tough.

Re second hand - I hope it's ok to have second hand things for your first baby because pretty much all of our stuff is second hand :/ We have been given a lot of stuff by friends and we are v short of money. My theory is that the baby ain't gonna care how much you spent on its clothes but I do feel guilty sometimes, I wish I could give him the best of everything. We're not gonna use the second hand bottles we've been given (I feel weird about that for some reason!) and the pram and car seat are gonna be new (I insisted on those being new) and the second hand Moses basket and cot will have new mattresses and sheets. All the second clothes (and the new ones too tbh!) are getting a good washing. I don't see anything wrong with it but I do feel guilty at the same time for not having brand new stuff for him. I would say take it, you can always charity shop anything you don't want.

I'm starting to feel down again and it's worrying me tbh - little things are upsetting me and I hate feeling so fragile! I keep getting comments about how huge I am and when I'm out with my crutches people just stare. Wish I could just hide in the house and eat cake! x
Missy there is nothing "wrong" with it at all... I hope I haven't made you feel that way?? Certainly not my intention...
Is there someone you can see/talk to about feeling so down?? You can always talk to us here but it may have more of an impact to have a 1 to 1 with someone..

I found out yesterday that primark do maternity jeans! They're too small for me but would be great for anyone under a size 18 and they are only £10. Sorry if you all already know this, thought it was worth mentioning tho. X
Oh deadly... Hope they have them over here.. So far not seen them but I hate spending on maternity clothes.. Tho saying that New Look prices are OK...

Quick reply to missy in town getting a dark towel for labour bag whilst having a BH!

Missy gorgeous girly second hand is fine, you'll be laughing when you see how fast baby grows and ppl will buy you new too. I only really buy in the sales not because I'm tight but because I know how fast the little blighters grow.

Feeling fragile is normal and it's allowed so dont feel abnormal for it, I regularly throw my toys out of my pram! And as for being big, I'm 4 weeks behind you and I bet I'm bigger! Hugs. P.s. big is good!!!!

A tip to some of you regarding washing clothes - this might seem mega tight of me but I'm going to share anyway!!

I have written a list of all clothes I have bought, been given or gifted and I know fr a fact all the things I've bought are my taste and I will use so they are all washed as ready to go.

Some of the gifted bits I have left with labels on etc - not cos I don't like them , but because I think I won't get through them ( it's amazing how many newborn sized items i was bought when left work!!) and seeing as he will have to be under quite a small weight I have left them.

Here's the tight bit - I intend to use them as gifts in future if I never use them! However if I do need them I will be taking tags off and using without a second thought! But once they have been washed, even if they haven't been worn, they are 'second hand'

Also 2 gifts came with gift receipts from next - and they were sets of baby grows ( either 3 or. 4) and cos I had such a large amount of grows in those sizes I took them back and had the money put into a gift card... I didn't spend it on baby things to start with cos I don't know what I will need!
I also asked when in next about returning any duplicates without receipts and the lady explained they would be happy to exchange direct or give gift receipt - not a gift card tho ( suppose there is a reason and difference) so if any duplicates are bought now or at Christmas I will exchange for bigger sizes etc

Hope no1 thinks I'm tight Doing these things - I just appreciate money is going to be tighter than ever when baby gets here!! Xxx

A tip to some of you regarding washing clothes - this might seem mega tight of me but I'm going to share anyway!!

I have written a list of all clothes I have bought, been given or gifted and I know fr a fact all the things I've bought are my taste and I will use so they are all washed as ready to go.

Some of the gifted bits I have left with labels on etc - not cos I don't like them , but because I think I won't get through them ( it's amazing how many newborn sized items i was bought when left work!!) and seeing as he will have to be under quite a small weight I have left them.

Here's the tight bit - I intend to use them as gifts in future if I never use them! However if I do need them I will be taking tags off and using without a second thought! But once they have been washed, even if they haven't been worn, they are 'second hand'

Also 2 gifts came with gift receipts from next - and they were sets of baby grows ( either 3 or. 4) and cos I had such a large amount of grows in those sizes I took them back and had the money put into a gift card... I didn't spend it on baby things to start with cos I don't know what I will need!
I also asked when in next about returning any duplicates without receipts and the lady explained they would be happy to exchange direct or give gift receipt - not a gift card tho ( suppose there is a reason and difference) so if any duplicates are bought now or at Christmas I will exchange for bigger sizes etc

Hope no1 thinks I'm tight Doing these things - I just appreciate money is going to be tighter than ever when baby gets here!! Xxx
I don't think that's tight at all...

Me neither - it's a really good idea! Means you have more money to buy essentials and that's no bad thing :)

Missy there is nothing "wrong" with it at all... I hope I haven't made you feel that way?? Certainly not my intention... Is there someone you can see/talk to about feeling so down?? You can always talk to us here but it may have more of an impact to have a 1 to 1 with someone.. Oh deadly... Hope they have them over here.. So far not seen them but I hate spending on maternity clothes.. Tho saying that New Look prices are OK...

Ah Frances, it's not you lovely - it's me making me feel bad! I just feel guilt cos we're so skint but I know money doesn't matter really. There's so much pressure on to have everything bought brand new and perfect and just ends up making you feel guilty. I know I shouldn't care what people think of me but I worry that I'll be judged for having second hand stuff or that his clothes will look shabby and people will comment. It's just me being neurotic! x

I am seeing my psych still so help is there, plus I have fortnightly therapy appts so I can talk through stuff. I managed without going back on meds which I'm really proud of! Talking on here really helps too <3 A lot of it now is just frustration as it gets closer to the big day. I'm getting less comfortable by the second and I'm in pretty much constant pain with my hips. Work is so hard and tbh if it wasn't for money worries I'd be on mat leave now! Think I'll be much better once I finish work. Enjoy your second tri - it's the best bit! Missing it now it's gone ;) x

It's a shame you don't have a George, I've had lovely stuff from Asda. My favourite item of mat wear was from mothercare though and was a bit of an extravagance lol. They are the most perfect and comfy plain black yoga pants but they look smart enough with a nice top and shoes to wear for work and they wash up beautifully. They were £20 which made my eyes water but def worth it!

Quick reply to missy in town getting a dark towel for labour bag whilst having a BH! Missy gorgeous girly second hand is fine, you'll be laughing when you see how fast baby grows and ppl will buy you new too. I only really buy in the sales not because I'm tight but because I know how fast the little blighters grow. Feeling fragile is normal and it's allowed so dont feel abnormal for it, I regularly throw my toys out of my pram! And as for being big, I'm 4 weeks behind you and I bet I'm bigger! Hugs. P.s. big is good!!!!

Dark towel! Thanks for mentioning! Started packing my bag last night so must remember that :)

I feel proper out of control, I've been so emotional the last couple of weeks. I know it's normal but it's mega disconcerting :/

You've had more babies, you're supposed to be bigger than me lol ;) My stomach muscles are still trying to keep going but it's a losing battle!

Oh excellent I think I shall be getting me a pair of those!

Oh excellent I think I shall be getting me a pair of those!

H&M has good, cheap maternity wear too. Sizes are a bit funny but that's normal for H&M in my experience lol ;) Best bargain so far was my swimsuit - every maternity swimsuit I saw was ridiculously expensive but I eventually found a nice one in sports direct for a tenner ;)

H&M has good, cheap maternity wear too. Sizes are a bit funny but that's normal for H&M in my experience lol ;) Best bargain so far was my swimsuit - every maternity swimsuit I saw was ridiculously expensive but I eventually found a nice one in sports direct for a tenner ;)

H&M here I don't think has a maternity section... Anyone in Ireland knows different please feel free to correct me???
I've only checked 1, the one closest.. But its quite a big store so I'd imagine if they had it there'd be at least some items there...

We may take a trip up North before baby arrives in which case I'll pop into Asda...

I buy most of my son's clothes on ebay. Second hand if they are in good condition no pros, just bang them in the wash. Why feel guilty, look after the pennies that is what I say! Plus, babies don't stay in the clothing for long. This baby has all his brothers clothes saved. Mama and papas Moses basket for a fiver on ebay. However, the one thing I did Spent a lot on was the push chair but wanted one that was comfy as i walk a lot on foot and go on the train. It is a city selector double one but reviews are much better then the icandy. But even that is second hand for 330 whereas in the shop your looking at 750+.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Wow lots to catch up on today. Will try to remember what I wanted to say....

- hope you're ok Cai and this is the start of baby making his way to the big world.

- I always have a flu jab because of asthma and will have it again and whooping cough vaccine this year. I understand people's concerns. I, perhaps naively, assume dr wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't safe.

- I have bought a lot of maternity clothes on eBay, got some real bargains. Otherwise bought bits in h&m and new look and got my bras from mothercare sale. I didn't know primark did maternity wear. How exciting.

- I have no problems with second hand stuff at all. As long as it is washable then I see no problem. It's not a reflection on how much you love your baby at all. It's more of being sensible with the pennies. That's my view at all.

- Cai- I think it is sensible not opening some of the new born stuff. I'm hoping people but 0-3 moths clothes and not new born, but can hardly say that to kind people wanting to buy gifts.

Sure there was more I was going to say but forgotten now!!

Bf felt first proper kick last night. It was amazing!

X

Wow lots to catch up on today. Will try to remember what I wanted to say.... - hope you're ok Cai and this is the start of baby making his way to the big world. - I always have a flu jab because of asthma and will have it again and whooping cough vaccine this year. I understand people's concerns. I, perhaps naively, assume dr wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't safe. - I have bought a lot of maternity clothes on eBay, got some real bargains. Otherwise bought bits in h&m and new look and got my bras from mothercare sale. I didn't know primark did maternity wear. How exciting. - I have no problems with second hand stuff at all. As long as it is washable then I see no problem. It's not a reflection on how much you love your baby at all. It's more of being sensible with the pennies. That's my view at all. - Cai- I think it is sensible not opening some of the new born stuff. I'm hoping people but 0-3 moths clothes and not new born, but can hardly say that to kind people wanting to buy gifts. Sure there was more I was going to say but forgotten now!! Bf felt first proper kick last night. It was amazing! X

Aw, it's lovely when OH can feel kicks! I know husband really struggled to feel involved sometimes until then but as soon as he could feel something for himself it all kinda slotted into place. <3

I agree with the second hand, it's just my own insecurities that keep me worrying about it. When you see friends with more money throwing everything at getting brand new baby stuff it's hard not to feel a bit inferior :/ I just wish we had a bit more but then again I know that baby will have everything he needs because we'll make sure of that! It might not all be brand new but he'll be loved and looked after well and that's all that matters right! :)

I wish it wasn't socially unacceptable to tell people what you want for presents! We've been bought tonnes of clothes and bath stuff by family to the point where I don't think we'll need baby toiletries for a good year lol. What I'd really like are mothercare vouchers so I can afford the slightly fancier baby monitor I want to get, or a nicer bouncy chair than the one we were given, or a different colour pack for the pram... I am very grateful for the gifts we've had , don't get me wrong but I feel bad that people are spending money on buying us things that we don't need so much if that makes sense?

Back