Preparation Tips

sparkledpixie

Silver Member
Sorry if this is a repeat thread.... can't see one though

How do you prepare for your diet? I've just made a huge pot of houmous and made soup for tomorrow's lunch at work but I know it won't last any longer than that. I'm desperate to be more organised with the plan but am struggling!:break_diet:

I sit down one night and plan my meals for at least a week ahead and get all the ingredients in. I make the complicated ones when Ive got most time eg weekends and have easy stuff like salads or Quorn stuff & veggies/SW chips when I have less time.

In winter I make soups/casseroles/stews/cottage pies in vast quantities and freeze them. Also, slow cooker - bung a massive pot on in the morning, it'll be ready for your tea when you get in and then you freeze the leftovers for another night or have it for lunches.

I keep lots of Quorn burgers/sausages (or equivalent) in the freezer that I can have with beans/veggies/SW chips or whatever if I've not had chance to get anything else in/not time to cook properly.

Similarly loads of dried pasta/lentils/beans that I can make into curries/salads/stews (and freeze leftovers of).

In summer each week I get about 5 lettuces, 4 tins of chickpeas, 1.5kg bag of carrots, 3 boxes tomatoes - plus snap peas, baby corn, Quorn slices or whatever to go with it - so I can make enough salad/hummus for a weeks worth of lunch plus some teas/side dishes for tea.

Its all in planning ahead for me, planning for the next day is not enough, I plan at least a week ahead.

I normally cook a huge roast and tons of veggies on Sunday, then all i do is have cold meat and frylight the veggies with left over gravy. I will put minute rice or pasta with it at times to change it a bit. That normally sees us through to Wednesday, Thursday is WI so I don't get home till late so it's a snack, Friday is grocery night so pick up something small, and on Saturday create something from whatever I bought
Work lunches sandwich or salad meals, and fruit and yogurt for brekkie but I am not a breakfast person, so can't eat until about 10
Works for me

What we've done is plan a 2 week menu. Bought all the food we need for that, ill do dinner and the next days lunch at the same time. Sometimes we'll just have leftovers for the next day.

I rarely plan. Really bad I know. I would love to cook loads of food in my slow cooker and freeze it however I only have a small freezer drawer and if I froze stuff I'd made I'd have no room for anything else. I also work silly shifts which makes planning stuff even harder. Means I often eat the same stuff for days as I just have the time to spend cooking other things.

I tend to lose more on the weeks that I plan ahead. I don't plan my whole weeks menu as I never know what we'll fancy but I always know what ingredients we have and will have a few recipes in mind.

Sunday is my cooking day and I make a pasta quiche or soup. Both of which keep for two days in the fridge so I use them as our lunches. I'll make a roast for our dinner that day and some kind of chilli, bolognese or curry to stick in the freezer.

My biggest thing is use by dates on food. I like to know when everything needs to be used by as Slimming World is expensive enough without having to throw stuff in the bin due to not using it in time.

I really struggle if I don't plan - when I'm being good I'll plan the whole week, not necessarily to the point of knowing what I'm having on which day but 7 meals so you can still go with what you fancy. Lately I've struggled despite planning though and I think its because I've not had a "contingency" - sometimes no matter how well I've planned I just don't feel like making anything by the time I'm home from work and got my LO bathed, fed and in bed. I've not been making sure I've got storecupboard stuff for quick SW-friendly meals (like a jacket with beans) for when I'm not in the mood to cook.

I rarely plan. Really bad I know. I would love to cook loads of food in my slow cooker and freeze it however I only have a small freezer drawer and if I froze stuff I'd made I'd have no room for anything else. I also work silly shifts which makes planning stuff even harder. Means I often eat the same stuff for days as I just have the time to spend cooking other things.

I work silly shifts as well so can find it difficult but I have been trying to sit down on my 3rd of 4 days off and plan so I can do the shop on my 4th of 4 days off. Not easy at the moment as my Mum has just had a hip operation and needs a lot of care that can vary timing wise.

Thank you for all the tips everyone, I think preparation is key on this diet and to prevent slipping so any help we can share is most definitely beneficial!

Back