prices of food

Halo

Is it me or is food shopping getting more expensive....... since being on this diet (only weeks) my food shopping bill has risen quite abit, is funny how it cost so much more to eat more healthier. Has anyone else noticed it or is it just me :confused:

Its just amazed me when i went shopping earlier, when i come to pay and when you get home and unpack and realised you havent actually brought much.

I think im going to try asda next week to see if i spend less. I used to bulk buy but still find i have to keep going to the shops for fresh stuff, i sometimes feel like moving into a shop to save time hehe x

snap! i feel as tho my shoppin bill has doubled! i seemed to b buyin fresh stuff every other day and its costing about £15-£20! ive bin readin on here about ppl feeding a whole family 4 a week for little more than this but ive yet to learn how to make fruit and veg stretch a week :(

What are you buying? It helps to buy fruit and veg that are in season as they are usually cheaper. Also shop around, and look out for the special offers and promotions. Depending on what plan you're on meals can be bulked out with cheaper ingredients so that they go further.

Personally I find I spend less because now I'm planning my menus and I only buy what I know I need and will use. No impulse buys, no junk foods, and no food going to waste in the fridge that ends up getting thrown out. Also I take lunch to work whereas before I would have nipped out to the shop or cafe to get something, so saving money there too.

well on average, im in work 56 hrs a week so dont hav time 2 shop around! however, i am in asda ALOT...which i wud imagine wud b 1 of the cheaper places! i need 2 meal plan..something i dont do! i also need 2 start freezing portions but i imagine the food wont taste as gd?!? im thinking of shoppin online too..meaning i am only buying wat i need but my partner is underweight for his height so i need 2 b buying food suitable for him 2! dilemmas eh? lol

Bulk cooking and freezing the extra is definitely a good way to go, particularly if you're working long hours. I haven't found that it affects the flavour at all. Actually freezing helps preserve the flavour of food rather than letting them lie in the fridge for ages.

Oh, and forgot to say that Aldi and Lidl are great for the basics and for cheaper fruit and vegetables.

my partner works in lidl, every1 rants about there fruit and veg...i honestly dont c wats so gd about it :( mayb im jus being a fuss pot lol! i get the odd wee bits in it but not alot! thanks for ur advice tho...i will have to become more motivated if i want 2 lose weight :)

Yeah i think once ive cleared all the food in my fridge, ill start bulk cooking and freezing each week, gonna start this week, brought big pack of quorn and going to make a big curry and freeze batchs.

In my area i have tesco and lidl right beside each other, so i get the best deals from each shop, then i pop into the butchers for my meat. I never used to go to the butchers as i thought it would be more expencive however i started going and believe it or not it is cheaper than tesco's meat and you get more for your money .

I agree with what has been said above, i would buy seasonal fruit and veg. I believe aldi is doing certain things for 29p at the moment. xx

This time of year I'm getting salads andrunner& french beans/peas out of my garden and potatoes that have been grown in containers. Fruit I get from our greengrocers, better quality and alot of local stuff that's travelled at least 8 miles! Mostly cheaper than the big supermarkets and fresher And cheaper. I get my meat mostly at the marked down section and get things on offer.

i get all my meat from the butchers i have been going to the same one for 3 years and they do me a very good deal and aways pack it and separate portions of meat for me.

My food shop is generally 40 a week not including the meat and this is all the fresh stuff and a weeks worth of staples. i definately think that food prices have increased hugely. I do not have a car so do not have the luxury of going to a lidle or netto, my only option is a tesco metro in town or morrisons

I tried buying some things at aldi and some at asda but found that apart from taking the extra time I was actually spending more so Im back to planning my list on my supermarket.com, printing it and then walking around asda with a calculator. That said yes Im finding SW more expensive because Im eating so much fruit and veg, yogurts and proper lean proteins rather than the frozen grill things I did have. Im cutting back by making things like mixed bean chilli's for the freezer and things like that.

since starting this diet I have found that I am not wasting much food. Infact because I'm planning the meals I do not run to the shops at all.

I go to market on Fri morning for fruit and veg. SometimesI get fish and meats while I'm there.

I do not like the fruit and veg in Lidl, I find that its been forced and does not keep.

weekends are spent bulk cooking my meals and freezing them.

i pop into the butchers for my meat. I never used to go to the butchers as i thought it would be more expencive however i started going and believe it or not it is cheaper than tesco's meat and you get more for your money .

There was a documentary about this recently they bought meat in a butcher then went to a couple of major supermarkets and bought the same sort of meat and yes the butchers was cheaper! It's just a shame that there arent too many butchers around anymore... I honestly have no idea where one is local to me...

It's just a shame that there arent too many butchers around anymore... I honestly have no idea where one is local to me...

Is there never a farmers market? there is one near me once a month, although have to say I prefer the butcher.

the problem with supermarkets, most things are pre packed and, if its only one or two portions you want it costs more.

My food bill has dropped alot. Before I was buying loads of junk food on the weekly shop, then I would go back a couple of times a week, because I'd forgotten something and end up spending another £20- £30 on rubbish. THEN even when we had got back from the weekly shop we had a takeaway for dinner, how crazy is that! We sometimes had 3 or 4 a week. Now we do one shop a week and sometimes I need to go back but I only buy what we need. We have saved loads!

Back