Pro Points- tackeling WW with a baby!

It may be easier to stick with what you know so you're not trying to learn a new diet at the time where you're getting to know your baby. Babies tend to cluster feed on an evening, typically becoming fussy and want to be on and off the breast. This is a normal and wanted part of establishing supply and makes getting out on an evening difficult at first. However it's just a short time in your life together and does change . Many mothers take young babies along to meetings with them, they tend to be pretty portable at first.

You also may find breastfeeding helps you shift the weight if you are eating sensibly, typically you use an extra 300-500kcal a day by breastfeeding hence why you get extra points on WW or extra HE's on slimming world, it's a higher energy requirement than when pregnant.

Remember there is no rush, it takes 9mths to go on, it won't all come off straightaway. It's natural to have fat stores in the first year or so after a baby, they are there for a reason. Perhaps seeing how you feel instead of setting it at 6 weeks may help you feel less like you're not doing it as 6 weeks will pass in the blink of an eye and it will be pretty intense. There's a massive 6 week growth spurt too, not a great time to start a diet.

You might find the info below useful on deciding your approach to weight loss, there's lots of information and it busts many of the common myths surrounding breastfeeding and what you eat as there are tons out there.

kellymom.com :: Mom's Diet
LLLI | FAQ How can I lose weight safely while breastfeeding?
kellymom.com :: The Normal Course of Breastfeeding

Oh wow, all that info is REALLY handy. Thank you xx

obviously the main attraction to sw is that i do know the plan, inside and out and i know it has worked incredibly well for me in the past. It was more the 'convieniance' side of ww that appealed to me.. as im preparing for the fact that i'l have zilch time for a fair while after babe arrives. I dont want to overload my brain with new info either.

I am likely to have 3+st to loose after, which im totally gutted about. Pretty shocked at how much has gone on, really didnt expect it to be this much i have to admit.. i spose thats why i feel .. not rushed.. but eager to get it all back on track. I know i could go back to sw and start now, even though i'm pregnant. Maybe i should.. but at the same time i had to stop because watching those scales fly up when i had worked SO hard, was just too much.. and ultimatly was really affecting my enjoyment of pregnancy.

Im not really sure what to do if im honest.

x

Hi Fern

Ive just come across your thread, you and I are in similar boats by the sounds! Im 25 weeks pregnant with my second baby and like you, my thoughts have recently turned to shifting the weight after babes arrives. I wanted to have an action plan in place with meal plans and recipe ideas so I could hit the floor running. With my son I put on around 7 stone EEEEEEK! (stopped getting weighed towards the end so thats a guess) This time ive so far put on 8 pounds now. However i was a good 3 1/2 stone overweight to begin with :cry:

Im traditionally a WW girl but have done them all at some time or another!

Not much to add really, just wanted to touch base as i am in a similar situation to you and am enjoying reading the responses regarding pro-points xx

i say dont worry about the weight , but i know we all do, Like you i planned to start ww after my midwife said i could and i got a 12 week free voucher from my doctors, i managed 2 weeks on pp and lost 10lb but then baby took more of my time, oh and i have a 5 and 6 year old as well, but what im trying to say is dont rush into it once baby arrives,unless you have the right mind set then baby is more important than loosing weight, my daughter hit the 6month mark this week and i'm going to rejoin ww on wednesday, even though she still takes up practically 24 hours of my day, i know its my time to shift the pounds, ive got a good 6 stone to loose, that includes the other 2's baby weight lol. but im ready to do it 100% and not go into it 25% and giving up.

good luck and enjoy every minute of your baby because time flys so quickly :eek:)

Back