Problems with recipes???

Twizzle

I have only recently started on SW and have made a couple of recipes but am finding the quantities of some ingredients rather strange!

I did a spicy chicken fried rice the other day which stated 511g/1lb 2oz rice, as there were only three of us, I divided this by 4 and x by three. BUT this was a HUGE amount of rice and what with all the other ingredients, it was very difficult fitting it all in the wok!!

Another recipe I have done called for 750g new potatos, this also didn't fit in the casserole dish and that amount of potato would do us at least two sets of dinners!!

Then tonight, I have done mediterrean lamb tray bake, recipe stated 7oz new potatos for 4 people - this was like 5 little potatoes between us!!! Anyone else thought the quantities of some ingredients strange???

I made the vegetable pasta bake form the mag and it used 2 whole heads of brocolli and loads of pasta, plus additional veg. Almost didn't fit in the pot.

Not that I was complaining it was just a bit of a faff getting it all together, at least on SW you can't say you don't get fed!

I use recipes more as guidelines.....lol and use my initiative

Thats what I am doing but can't believe the amounts at times LOL!

For rice I generally allow 60g dried per person and that's plenty. If a recipe asks for more I ignore it and use my own amounts. Recipes are always just a guideline for my cooking :)

I've not cooked anything yet that I thought would make hugh amounts, however, I did the chicken and mushroom pie from this months mag (using only 3 chciken breasts instead of 4) and that was enough for six people not four. Same with the cottage pie!

Makes a change from pre SW when I've done a recipe that allegedly serves four and there's only been enough for two of us-lol

Back