Protein powder.

Alcofrollic

Do any of you use any protein powders at all?
I know we can, and I think it'll help for some recipes to replace the oatbran, but I'm not sure what nutritional info it should have. Anyone know?

I don't think Dr Dukan approves, but I do use a very plain one that has no sweeteners, sugars or anything in. It tastes rather awful though I don't particularly care. I have one after intense exercise like Insanity and/or hour + runs as they are easier digestible protein wise than a meal and quicker to prepare, then I have a protein based meal a couple of hours later when my appetite returns. I personally wouldn't recommend them though unless you are doing such exercise, better to stick with meat, fish or eggs (unless you are vegetarian???)

He actually doesn't mind protein powder used to "make" something and some of his recipes on the official (French at least) site do include the powder to add protein to a dessert. What he doesn't approve of is meal replacement powders as they're not teaching us how to eat "afterwards".

I just want the powder to use in recipes to replace the oat bran basically.
I've read elsewhere that Dr D is ok with them used like that, I've had experience in the past with using the shakes as meal replacements and thats not my intention for the unflavoured stuff for now. I want to be able to make and eat some of my recipes more often than I can at the moment due to the oat bran content.

the one he recommends is called Protifar (and is easily available, I hear, in Belgium!!).
Let us know how you get on with it, if you use it in recipes replacing the oatbran. I don't think it's a straight switch, gramme for gramme, alas so you'll probably need a few tries to get it right!

I found this by googling:

soniacorsalini : Hi all, are we allowed to
use protein powder in our recipes? I found a protein powder similar to Protifar,
it contains: Whey protein and Soya lecithin. 100g of powder has 90 g protein; 1
g carbs; 0,5 g fat. 1 portion is 8 gr. Thank
you very much!!!
Moderatrice cathy : Hi again soniacorsalini and
thank you for the details of the ingredients! Well, you were completely right, I
previously said no to that protein and soy lecithin powder because I didn't know
the composition, but now you have given it, I would completely approve it, I am
sorry about my first answer.

I'd read it wasn't approved too but now I see what its being used for it could be worth a use. Mind you, finding a place to buy it would be difficult.

Found it online and it says its for medication purposes for those suffering from hypoproteinaemia, does that mean its still ok for us to use

Yeah, it's literally just milk protein, no medications in it. They use it for helping people to heal after serious injuries, I guess because of the protein content.

Have you tried any in your recipes yet? Be interested to know how it works out and whether it acts in a similar way.

I haven't bought any yet, on a bit if a budget at the moment, but I'll be looking to buy some in the future, shall keep you posted.

Back