Protein Shake

gareth

Hi all, im new this week to Dukan but so far in my first 4 days of attack im down 4 pounds :)
Im looking to re start P90x next week after a failed attempt last time but I wanted to know if there are any protein shakes/powders i can use in cruise phase which I can use as my recovery drink after the work out??

Gareth

Hi, well done on the four pounds. Protein shakes are a major part of my diet. I'm also on cruise. I'm going to try mine with 200ml water and 100ml milk for breakfast. Mine is low carb. Each 30g scoop has 3.6g carb of which 3.2g sugar. But it only has sweetener in. Will give it a try next week and let you know if I still lose. If not I'm going to try eggs. Maybe you could look at an omelette after training?

I have asked a similar question previously as I am going to gym for weight training before giving a boot camp session. I normally have a protein shake between the two sessions in order to have enough to feed on when doing boot camp without losing muscle. The book and everybody else advised me not to use protein powder but I decided to continue and by having pure protein whey powder only on the double session days. I still loose weight but I am on the Cruise phase, so it is slower. My muscles are finally peaking through the lower levels of subcutaneous fat as I get thinner!! Good luck with the PX90. I use some of the routines in my boot camp sessions and it really works.

Taking protein shakes is not the Dukan way.

Having said that if you want to adapt the diet to meet your exercise and weight loss goals don't let us lot on here stop you. Each to their own as they say. Keep us informed how you get on!

willbefabulousat26 I understand that it is not recommended but the minute that your body doesn't have enough to 'feed' on, it starts breaking down your muscles to use as fuel. If you train quite hard and you are trying to build muscle, it is counter productive to not do something about it. Eating protein would make you nauseous when training, so the only other option is to have a protein shake. I understand that Dr Dukan didn't want people following the diet only live off shakes for a reason. Even the best shake still have a small amount of carbs, but with exercise I am sure one can work that off. I will try not having any protein powder for a week to see if I loose more weight during that time.

Hey Elbielouw, how did you get on with your experiment of no shakes. I've had an awful cold so no gym. Planning to try no shakes when I'm back on my feet!

Am I wrong or did I read that Dr Dukan advises no extreme exercising while on this diet? If so, then the reasoning would be there's no need for protein shakes. So, if true, my question would be why no extreme exercising on the plan.

My plan is to "save up" heavier exercise if my weight stalls. So, I'll have to better understand the philosophy on exercise regimes then.

Last edited:
I'm impressed that you can do exercise like that - ie so vigorous - whilst overweight enough to want to do Dukan! I for one couldn't have even contemplated it until weight lower, too much strain on joints etc. Now I'm so much lighter I feel much much fitter and so i can do more.

I know nothing about protein shakes, but wonder whether continuing to use them would effectively sabotage your efforts long term I mean?

But as willbe26 says, try it and see - your diet, your bod, you're in charge! We all adapt Dukan to our own ways, so in that sense its a truly flexible diet.

I am a gym person but when I started the diet I stuck to the book, I stopped going to the gym and just walked and bicycled. I lost 34 lbs and kept it off. I went back to the gym and regained my muscle in a very short time. I am back on the diet now as I want to lose another 15 lbs I started on Jan 18th and as of this morning I have lost 11 lb. When I lost my big weight I did not have the energy nor the want for the gym as it was temptation for the protein shakes or protein bars. In my opinion I wanted to concentrate on one thing and that was to get rid of the fat I feel if I had to do a gym program and the diet it would have been too much effort attempting 2 goals at once.

Congrats on the loss, vegaspool! I'm glad to hear of your phased approach and quick regain of muscle. I'm also holding off with exercise until I'm closer or at my tw. It's so nice to have all these tools/options. I read Dukan recommends increase in exercise in consolidation. Now, for me, that makes the most sense. It'll help balance appetite and energy plus, by taking it off the table, it makes it more enticing, silly human that I am!

Will be looking forward to your continued success!

You're very inspiring, Peter! Looks like you're way ahead of your goal date. It makes me happy! And adds to my confidence that a phased approach is successful. I'm hoping to get to my goal in one set, but know if I become frustrated and easily start slipping, to move on to conso accepting happily my gains, lol, and resume in the future.

Did you stay on conso for recommended time, ever get to the last phase? Believe it or not, of all the phases stabilization has me the most uncertain. It seems like the people successful on Dukan are able to meet very strict guidelines and rules. When those are relaxed, I want to trust the pp only day as security, yet question it. Again though, what I like so much of Dukan is there is always a fall back option. Returning to additional pp only days in this case. So, I guess, there in lies the security.

Last edited:
Hi Joy well I had an amazing journey. I started in April 11 and my goal weight was 175 but I got down to 162. I stuck to the diet and never cheated once right the way through until October when my mum passed away in England. I had been on conso for over 4 months and was due to complete everything in early January of this year. I went back to England for a month to sort everything out and alas the wonderful foods of England had me as I have been in the States for 10 years. When I returned I put a little weight back on but this is when I found out the diet does work. I then contacted Dukan they advised me just to finish my time-line then and start the diet again choosing the weight I wanted. So I am back here and want to get to the 162 weight again which I am well on my way. I really love the diet got my routine my fav foods. I found it easy as I live alone and I threw all temptation out, I have my 5 year old daughter on my days of but she does not eat junk food so that works. At my work I take my foods and always stay full. One bit of advice never run out of the foods in your house for the diet and always stay full. I like all the phases of the diet and working out a lot in the gym before I started the diet I was a big fan of protein foods anyway. If there is anyway I can help please dont not hesitate to drop a line and I will give you my experience as well as all the beautiful people on this board. Oh just one more thing I am a 29 waist now and if I go further I will have to go to the boys section for jeans thats my drive, how funny is that, Love the diet and you will love yourself.
Peter.

well done peter .... I also love the diet and I am hoping this will be the final one ;) no gym for me either but mainly as I live so rural ...ie middle of nowhere lol I am however very active mucking out stables exercising horses etc and have just started running 3 times a week :)

Thanks Ellie, I made my weight today but decided to drop another 5lbs. That will be the lowest I have been for a long long time. I wish I lived rural, I miss the English countryside. Running is good and your stats look awesome good job young lady.
Peter

the scottish countryside is much better :p and thank you :)

Back