Protein shakes

sortabeautiful

Im trying to lose weight and going to the gym about 4/5 times a week. I do get aches and pains from working out and I've heard that having a protein shake after the gym helps to repair muscles... I'm worried that if I start doing this ill actually put weight on as I usually associate protein shakes with big muscle men!

Help! X

protein is key to recovery. as is quite a few nutrients..magnesium , potassium and dont forget phosphorus for bones and so on...... its a mix you need

1. follow proper diet
2. drink water
3. rest after workout
4. stretch
5. walk day after to get blood flowing
6. protein with each meal - boiled egg with brekkie, chicken breast for lunch and tuna for tea
7. athletes measure protein for bodyweight, and you can use calculators for this, BUT your body only takes on so much protein at a time (i think mine is 26g so if i need 100g per day id need 4 meals)
8. if you really must have a protein drink because you are playing front row for england ;-) then try... no fat greek yoghurt with some no fat cottage cheese, some banana some blueberries and pinapple plus little water to make it a drink.
a protein shake is fine. but its extra cals....

as long as you account it into your calories or whatever diet you're doing it won't make you gain weight.

You won't turn into the hulk either, you'd need to be HEAVY weight training for 3 hours a day and specifically targetting for weight gain... and besides womens bodies just aren't designed to bulk out like mens are!

The only possible weight gain you could get with exercise is water retention, just keep up the fluids and you'll be fine. At least 2litres a day + a litre for every session at the gym x

If your after a low carb/fat and weight loss friendly shake, pay that bit extra and go for a Whey Protein Isolate. I've used a few, PM me if you need any help :)

Last edited:
Thank you Rhino. My OH goes to a local fitness shop for his stuff so I'll go with him next time and have a look round.

Hey, that's good to know, Martin, about taking in so much protein at each sitting. Didn't realise that! As they say, every day you learn something new. Thanks

I use protein shakes before and after workout, I split one scoop between the two, also I have banana after as well, chocolate flavour lovely. Just incorporate cals not ur Daliy allowance.

Yup, you can have too much protein but you'd have to have quite a lot. It can cause digestion problems (diarrhea, constipation, make you err... windy!), dehydration if you're not drinking enough water to help your kidneys process the protein, which can also lead to kidney problems. If you stick to about 30% of your diet being protein, you'll be fine.

There are lower calorie proteins availble, some specially designed for women. I take sculptress from maxitone (maximuscle sub brand). I have always found a higher protein lower carb diet works best for me but everyone's different. I replaced breakfast with 2 scoops of protein powder blended with frozen berries and a banana, add some water or juice - its very fast to make its tasty and if you add some porridge oats its really filling. If I am desperate for chocolate I have a dark chocolate protein bar (150 calories) and it both fills me and gives the chocolate kick.

I have a protein shake for breakfast and a half scoop in my morning and afternoon snacks. I'm on a prescribed diet which provides a 45/45/10 percentage ratio of Carbs, protein and fat. High protein doesnt mean ONLY protein. I work out 6 times a week with a trainer either at bootcamp or in the gym and do what I can in between (mainly walking and I have an eliptical trainer). Sore muscles need water and drink close to 3 litres a day on top of what I'm eating.

I certainly dont feel like I'm gonna be a bodybuilder it's definitely giving me some tone but more importantly as u can see from my ticker it's buring the fat and although I started my diet 28 weeks ago I didnt start exercising until 4 weeks in simply because I couldnt. I have insulin resistance from PCOS which makes weightloss harder for me too. I feel sore after sessions, but after a good nights sleep I'm ready to go again (unlike the very first session, but don't want to put anyone off)

I dont think working out 4 times a week is going to make you look like a muscle man! lol you can be muscular and still very slim, thats what I'm aiming for.

Super work BigBurd!

Rhino said:
If your after a low carb/fat and weight loss friendly shake, pay that bit extra and go for a Whey Protein Isolate. I've used a few, PM me if you need any help :)

Heya I have juat seen your comment on another post! I have joined the gym 10days ago and have lost half a stone (still 7-10 to go ?) anyway I was told by the trainer to get the whey no carbs one? Seems a lot of money I dont really have so could you tell me more on why I should maybe invest? Thanks! X

Just wanted to say what an interesting thread. I like to supplement with protein as I'm veggie and it stops me getting hungry, I am getting back on the wagon now after a break of 6 months so will keep all the points in mind. Thanks.

I usually use phd whey (low in carbs), or even better whilst dieting nectar - which has no carbs and is juicy style rather than milky. Just like squash. I usually have one after training, or in the evening if I need extra protein for the day hope that helps

I have started using soya protein. strawberry flavour. I was told it has the least carbs in it. My friend combines it with tony fergueson shakes i may do the same. anyone done it?

Back