• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

psyllium husk success!!

Not been able to stomach the husks in soup or shakes so today tried something different-made my porridge but used 200mls of water and made it runny, when I took it out of the microwave I added a teaspoon of husks and stirred lots and lots-it thickened up, didn't go slimy and tastes perfect :) Hurray!Now I might "go" a bit more often without resorting to dulcolax :)
Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Silver Member
Hi PolishRose!

That sounds good!! Where did you get the husks from?? Is it the same as fibre 89??

Sorry I am bit confused about all this.

No the fibre 89 is inulin(tastes sweet to me so I don't get it now as I could easily eat loads in one go rather than add it to shakes :) ) The husks are a similar thing though and good for keeping you...er...regular :)

Post-Menopausal Maniac!
Well done for getting it right, polishrose! I feel a bit more heartened about trying it myself now (your 'frogspawn' references were really putting me off, lol!), so I will defo have a go and do it as you suggest.

(I was hoping that linseed might have been the answer, but it seems that it's full of fats! :sigh:)

I started using the husks last weekend and they are fab, they are definitely more filling in the shakes and do help to keep me more 'regular'. Only thing is, I find that I get more wind with them which can be embarrassing (sorry for TMI) :)
I've got the husks in capsule form - might have to give them a go tomorrow to help things along!

Post-Menopausal Maniac!
Bought some H+B Colon Care the other day, and finally sorted it myself too (after a few gloopy mistakes!). I find a level teaspoon is enough for the amount of thickening I want - any more gives it a sort of life of its own, as it keeps escaping off your spoon like some sort of weird sea creature! :D

I'm using it in porridge and shakes (hot banana pudding anyone? yummy! :)) but after a soup disaster with it, am not so keen to try this again - perhaps less might work. (Savoury wallpaper paste is not my idea of a good time...:eek:) I find the best way to use it is to mix it with my CD powder before adding water and then give it a very good blend - it is a wee bit gritty but that's the price you pay!

Fab idea though - you feel much more full afterwards! :)