psyllium husk success!!

polishrose

Gold Member
Not been able to stomach the husks in soup or shakes so today tried something different-made my porridge but used 200mls of water and made it runny, when I took it out of the microwave I added a teaspoon of husks and stirred lots and lots-it thickened up, didn't go slimy and tastes perfect :) Hurray!Now I might "go" a bit more often without resorting to dulcolax :)

Hi PolishRose!

That sounds good!! Where did you get the husks from?? Is it the same as fibre 89??

Sorry I am bit confused about all this.

Bx

No the fibre 89 is inulin(tastes sweet to me so I don't get it now as I could easily eat loads in one go rather than add it to shakes :) ) The husks are a similar thing though and good for keeping you...er...regular :)

Well done for getting it right, polishrose! I feel a bit more heartened about trying it myself now (your 'frogspawn' references were really putting me off, lol!), so I will defo have a go and do it as you suggest.

(I was hoping that linseed might have been the answer, but it seems that it's full of fats! :sigh:)

I started using the husks last weekend and they are fab, they are definitely more filling in the shakes and do help to keep me more 'regular'. Only thing is, I find that I get more wind with them which can be embarrassing (sorry for TMI) :)

I've got the husks in capsule form - might have to give them a go tomorrow to help things along!

Bought some H+B Colon Care the other day, and finally sorted it myself too (after a few gloopy mistakes!). I find a level teaspoon is enough for the amount of thickening I want - any more gives it a sort of life of its own, as it keeps escaping off your spoon like some sort of weird sea creature! :D

I'm using it in porridge and shakes (hot banana pudding anyone? yummy! :)) but after a soup disaster with it, am not so keen to try this again - perhaps less might work. (Savoury wallpaper paste is not my idea of a good time...:eek:) I find the best way to use it is to mix it with my CD powder before adding water and then give it a very good blend - it is a wee bit gritty but that's the price you pay!

Fab idea though - you feel much more full afterwards! :)

Back