Psyllium husks capsules

jcjazzy

Silver Member
Took the advice on this board and bought these from Holland and Barrett :D.I just want to check that its ok to take the capsules and they won't affect my losses.Can anyone advise?
Ta x

The psyllium husk makes no change to ketosis or losses, quite a few people take it to 'bulk' out their intake so they can become more 'regular'. The way it works is that it's a type of fibre that isn't absorbed by the body but expands inside and moves out. Make sure you drink plenty of water with it :)
Personally I bought powdered husk from a website called myprotein.co.uk ... it was a lot cheaper, and I mix it with my porridge in the morning to fill it out! Makes it nice and gooey!

For the first few days of taking it you may feel a little bloated, but after about a week it does start moving through and you will go to the toilet fine. At least in theory. :) I'm basing this on the powder I have, not sure about the capsules!

Hi, sorry to crash in on your thread but I have a similar question for other LL's... had a fair amount of bowel problems since starting and was recommended by my LLC to use lactulose. Got hold of some and I'm a bit worried about what is actually in it as it tastes fairly sweet. Similar to jcjazzy, I'm worried about any possible effects this could have on losses and the ketosis thing! =)

i have some of the husk stuff that i mix into the shakes/porridge

not sure about capsules
daisy x

I'm sure someone will shoot me somehow but I've used Fibresure since long, long before the diet and have started to again. I didn't for the first few weeks but I've bunged up again since becoming used to the porridge. I haven't asked my LLC about it as it only has inulin in it and that's also in the powder flavouring. I don't really want to start on the Dulcolax on a regular basis if I can help it.

You can use the capsules or the powdered form and you can use fibersure. None of them worked for me they just made me seriously bloated so had to stop using them xXx

Thanks folks thats put my mind at rest.Didn't want the cure to slow me down if you get my drift :eek: x

Emma - the psyllium husk DOES make you bloated for about a week, then it starts working. I don't think it's supposed to be an overnight cure. :D

I know I thought that but I was just too uncomfortable to go on any longer, by day 3 i'd literally put on about 2 inches round my middle!

Thanks LS! That's a valuable piece of information, no wonder I blew up in the first week - I was pretty constipated to begin with! But I kept taking it, along side some Senakot and Dulcolax that week, and now it appears to be fine. :D *cross fingers touch wood* Problem seems to have cleared up.

Hi, sorry to crash in on your thread but I have a similar question for other LL's... had a fair amount of bowel problems since starting and was recommended by my LLC to use lactulose. Got hold of some and I'm a bit worried about what is actually in it as it tastes fairly sweet. Similar to jcjazzy, I'm worried about any possible effects this could have on losses and the ketosis thing! =)

Your LLC would not reccomend it if it would affect the diet. ;)

I used PH in powder form and capsule for first half of diet, then took fibresure for the remainder.

Not enough though, as it turns out...

warning: TMI coming...

Ladies, I suggest you take them regularly right the way through.

I had a lot of constipation thru the diet, and that involved of course a lot fo straining.

I am paying for it now. I have a serious problem at the moment with, erm, piles. And its not good. Saw the doc the other day as I have been losing an awful lot of blood. That was why I was asking for a nurse - wanted to know what to expect at the examination. The other day, I felt as if I peed my pants, I was saturated, and it was all blood. (Fortunately I have leather furniture which cleans up nicely - but had I been at someones home - well - it would have been awful. It looked like a murder had taken place!)

Its not nice, and now hopefully can sort it out with cream, but if not will require more aggressive invasive treatments.

So - I strongly reccomend you doa nything at all costs to avoid straining thru the diet. Its not nice. :(

Sorry for TMI, I just don;t want to see anyone else go through this.

xx

Back