Pumpkin, raisin, oatmeal breakfast cookies

LoChan1984

Gold Member
SW Pumpkin raisin breakfast cookies

Serves 1 - 1hexb & 2.5syns

28g porridge oats and 1 scan bran (hexb)
14g raisins (2 syns)
70g pumpkin puree
1tbsp splenda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder (negligible syns)
25mls milk (0.5 syns)

1. Crush up the scan bran in a bowl and (only just) cover with boiling water to soften.
Mash up and add the porridge oats (no need to drain water off the scanbran).
2. Add the raisins, pumpkin puree, splenda, cinnamon and baking powder and mix.
3. Add the milk gradually until you get a thick batter (you might not need it all).
4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Make mounds of batter on the tray - you
could make 4 little ones, 2 medium ones or one giant one if you like.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180'C for 10-20 mins (it'll vary depending on the size cookie/cookies you made, keep checking).
6. When ready take out of the oven, leave to cool a few minutes then transfer to a metal rack. You can have them either warm or completely cooled.

I'm going to try this recipe using homemade apple puree instead of the pumpkin and raisins - I'm not sure of how much will be needed so can't say how many syns this would be but it'll probably work out around the same.

Pumpkin oatmeal breakfast cookies.jpg

Fab recipe and they look lovely in the picture. I would imagine that sweet potato would work instead of the pumpkin and have loads to use up in the fridge so might try it tomorrow!

Worth a try, let me know how you get on :)

You can buy cans, but watch out some already have sugar and spices added to make american style pumpkin pie.

I make my own pumpkin puree usually just oven roast pumpkin split in two, and deseeded - then all you have to do is scrape out the mush / puree. If I don't have to peel raw pumpkin, so much the better, plus it doesn't smell appetising if you boil it and can go a bit watery.

I portion and freeze it since pumpkins are only available in season here.
Makes really quick soup with some veg stock and a spoonfull of curry paste, or I use it in sweet things.

must buy some pumpkin next shopping trip..

It's hard to find the canned variety in the UK as it's more of an american thing - I buy mine from americansweets.co.uk. Selfridges food halls sometimes have it in stock too :) Ain't cheap so it's a bit of a luxury buy!

Or as hazy summer says you can make it yourself. The roasting method works but I saw on a youtube recipe using pumpkin puree you can microwave it in chunks too then scoop - I've not tried it yet. There are guides on the t'internet aswell if you want more detailed instructions on making pumpkin puree.

Whatever you do don't try doing this with halloween/carving pumpkins - they're too watery and stringy. You need to go for smaller culinary pumpkins, green pumpkin or other similar squashes x

Hmn just thought I'd point out before anyone gets disappointed - the cookies are quite soft and a little floppy, they don't crisp up like a biscuit, presumably since there's no flour :D

Back