Putting on weight in RTM :-(

Mini_Me

LighterLife Returner
HI All,

I have put on around 3lbs since starting RTM 7 weeks ago...

I have mainly stuck to the plan, with a few lapses and dinner invites out here and there...

I don't want to be in 'diet mode' during RTM i.e. I don't want to be aiming to lose weight - I want to be aiming to maintain and learn to deal with food - so losing the 3lbs is not a goal for the next 5 weeks.

But I'm finding the whole experience, and the weight gain, stressful... how have others found it? I know BL has had a rough patch too...

DO you find that you put on even MORE weight in the last four weeks of RTM?

Have others put on weight during RTM?

Any advice generally on this?

Many Thanks,

Hi MM

I was pretty much all over the show during RTM, which I only ended this week. During the first 3 weeks I lost, then I kind of stabilised and wavered in ounces only, up and down. Then I went away on hols at about week 8 - put on 3 pounds - my only luxury on the trip was too many lattes and cappucinos. That came off the following week.

All went swimmingly until the bread trigger week. Week 11. I spiked 8 pounds that week, and did nothing naughty or untoward or different then the weeks passed - I had the reccomended amounts only - in fact less then on some days. And that shocked the you-know-what out of me! But - the next week - just this past monday I lost 5.5 - so they came right off. My LLC said that, "carbs on! Carbs off!!" So thats pretty cool.

In the end, I am 2.5 pounds abve my RTm starting weight.

I think you would almost have to gain a little bit, as you are replenishing your glycogen, and your body is now full of nutrients and food etc., but I do not know what the 'expected' or average amount it. Its surely different for everyone.

Don't worry - I am trying not too - we have plenty of time to master this, and if we go up and down a few pounds in the process, we can at least nip that in the bud easily. But it is daunting - its confusing - its desperatly important - but we can do it. Others have - we will too.

It's learning a process!!!

x

Hi BL,

Thanks for the reply - sorry I didn't say so sooner.

It is re-assuring to know that it is not just me then... I am trying not to worry now, I havn't put on any more weight - maybe it's just a few onces of glycogen from the lapses I had - maybe not... In any case, I'm sticking to that plans and learning how to eat like a 'normal' person, so I'll see where I end up...

Thanks,

Hi BL (and others!),

I'm in the bread week as well. Cheese is definatley a trigger for me.

And I found out somthing weird: Feeling full is a trigger for me also! If I eat too much of somthing (even salad) and I get full, I want to eat more... I feel fuller, so I want to eat EVEN MORE! it happened once where I eventually HAD to stop cos I was physically full - very full...

Anyway, I have gained about 3 or 4 lbs in the last 2 weeks, which really got me down. I read your post again BL, it helped, thanks.

I am trying to remember that this is normal life now - that 'normal' people need to manage their weight - a few lbs up, and they bring them down - and if they can do it, then I can too... although it might be a little harder for me, but that's life...

any how, Here's to the last two weeks of RTM, and trying not to get too depressed about the weight gain...

I'm with you on the feeling full and wanting to eat more, Mini Me. I've had that with yoghurt. I think it's a dairy trigger. I'm trying to stay off it for now.

Don't sweat the pounds here and there. Think how far you've come and see how great you look and feel in your skin now. Weight is a big deal, of course, but you're achievment is even bigger.
My counsellor said to me to not try to think of RTM as the continuation of weight loss but the balancing out of LL and your body getting used to it's new shape. A gain/loss here is very much expected and not a bad thing, for your body at least, not quite the case witht he mind though, eh!

i am with ya to with the full thing!! i have to keep catching myself and telling my self to stop that im "overeating".

its all such a learning curve but well all get there!!
hope ur doing ok xxx

So hold on guys im 12.5 stones before RTM, i will loose about 1/2 a stone in teh first 3 weeks (hopefully) Will i put that back on and then go over my 12.5 pre RTM weight!!

no u should roughly end up the same weight as u started...give or take a couple of lb...depends how ur body reacts to certain trigger foods xxx

No, not necessarily it seems... You might lose more than 1/2 stone, you might gain a little... the specifics are different for different people from what i have noticed. General trend is: Lose weight in first few weeks, maybe gain a little, then get a shock during the last 4 weeks when your body loads you up with Glycogen and you gain 4 or 5 lbs :)

Seriously though, some of the carb trigger weeks (the last 4 weeks) will cause your weight to go up, but only due to the glycogen/water levels in your body... but it can be disheartening, because you may not understand at first why you have put on weight - i.e. because you ate too much, or just cos its carb week?!?

Anyway, just prepare yourself for that bit of turbulance, and the rest of RTM is cool :)

Good luck dude!

thats a good word for it: turbulence.

The bread week made me gain. Other weeks, any gain was so minimal, I just bobbed up and down thru RTM but came o9ut 1 pound lighter then when I started it.

I would suggest do your measurememnts now. Check as you go. Weight gained could be glycogenwhich won;t affect your measurements.

It is trying, but it is so easy to drop 2 or 3 pounds if you have a bad week, just by cutting back.,...so we can nip anything we don;t want in the bud.

Back