Quark or Fat free fromage frais or fat free creme fraiche?

Skulldilocks

Gold Member
I am new and have been looking through a lot of the recipe ideas on here and on the recipe section of the SW website. I've noticed there are a lot of yummy things for me to try a lot mostly for main meals and such to substitute cheese or cream. Things like Pasta bakes, carbonara, tzatziki tikka masala etc etc.

From what I can see a lot of the recipes use one or the other of the three things listed above. As a poor young lady, I dont think I will be able to use up a whole tub/pot of each before it runs out. Do you think its fair to say you can get away with one and if so what do you think is best?

I use quark all the time, I don't often use it in sauces but i do make a lot of savoury dips or use it to stuff pasta or lasagna sheets but my favourite is mix it with a white choc options and some splenda and you get a glorious substitute for cream to have with strawberries. The best thing about quark is that you can freeze it so i buy 3 or 4 at a time and i always know htey are in the freezer to help[ me plan my day. I haven't really used either of the other two and i don't know if you can freeze them but you could def use the amount of Quark you want and freeze the rest.

Ah thats cool, I guess its probably the cheapest too and like you said, you can freeze it so it will last the longest. Thanks! How cheesy is the flavouring though? Dont wanna affect my curries :p

It's barely cheesy at all but i would add fat free yoghurt to curries I find that the quark tends to separate too much but I might be a rubbish cook LOL :)

Ah ok, by the sounds of it you can use a tub of quark up in one go for a lot of meals, so I guess Ill be able to get bothand freeze the Quark like you said :) Thanks for the help I cant wait til I move out and do the first grocery shop! x

Back