Question about 1st GPs app

Discussion in 'Orlistat (Xenical)' started by lynsey2510, 15 March 2010 Social URL.

1. lynsey2510

lynsey2510 Full Member

Start Weight:
    25st4lb
    Current Weight:
    24st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(1.98%)
    Diet:
    Slimming word
    Hi all,

Hope you dont mind me picking your brians! :D I have my first GPs appointment today, I shall be asking him for Xenical/Orlistat, how long did it take you from your first GP appointment until you got the tablets? Did you have to get refered to a weight management clinic? I want to to start on these ASAP, I have alot to lose :cry:
    Thanks

Last edited: 15 March 2010
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. KittyBling

KittyBling Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st1lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(14.22%)
    Diet:
    Every Other Day Diet
    I think it depends very much on your GP. Some like to see that you can lose weight yourself first, to show commitment, others don't seem to insist on this. I got mine straight away, no questions asked. Good luck!

KB x

4. alibalibee

alibalibee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st4lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7lb(35.23%)
    Diet:
    SW
    The first time I asked for Xenical, my Dr refused and referred me to weight management ( I was over 21st at the time). I was so not amused :rolleyes::rolleyes:lol However I did go to weight management, and it did help for a while, but I was still yo yoing weight wise, so went back to my GP ( seen a different GP though), explained everything, about how my weight made me feel etc and I came out of that appointment with a prescription for the tabs ( at this point I was still over 20st).
    Like Kitty says though, all GPS are different, even within the same practice :rolleyes:
    Good luck xx

5. moonlite

moonlite Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st4.0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st0.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I had to prove first that i was committed to losing weight so after a month I got them but mine doc's dont offer a weight management scheme. So it does vary on docs

6. alibalibee

alibalibee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st4lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7lb(35.23%)
    Diet:
    SW
    The Weight Management scheme wasn't run by my Drs, it's run by my local health board and is hospital based ( my local health board is Greater Glasgow and Clyde) and as far as I know there are similar schemes in other parts of the country, but I'm not sure where :)
    x

7. littlemissspendthrift

littlemissspendthrift impossible is nothing

Start Weight:
    22st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Xenical
    hi there, i got xenical last week from the docs. i know YEARS ago i was told that i could be a candidate for it, but was told to lose.. i think 5 pound or 5 kg (cant remember) in a month to show i was committed. however i went this week, following being diagnosed with PCOS. i advised them that i knew my health was at serious risk with my weight, and that i wanted some help with it. i told him that i had researched xenical/orlistat and knew it wasnt a miracle diet pill (i really genuinely thought it was til i researched it and looked at peoples threads on here) but that it was a helping hand to stay on track - i call it my willpower pill. :D
    my BMI was pretty much approaching 50 as you can see from my ticker below, and he prescribed 4 weeks worth. i have to go back after that to see if i have lost any and then he will prescribe another 4 weeks.

it does depend on doctors but i think it helps if you explain that you understand what xenical does and how you think it will help you.

8. lynsey2510

lynsey2510 Full Member

Start Weight:
    25st4lb
    Current Weight:
    24st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(1.98%)
    Diet:
    Slimming word
    Thanks for your replies. Just got home from my GP's. He tried to prescribe me Reductil!!?!? Think he is a bit behind the times as its now been withdrawn. So he has given me 4 weeks worth of Xenical. Im happy with that.

9. alibalibee

alibalibee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st4lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7lb(35.23%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Glad you got the tabs hun, good luck on this part of your weight loss journey x

10. purple_kathryn

purple_kathryn Mostly harmless

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7lb(35.71%)
    Diet:
    low fat/low cal/taking xenical
    I had no problem getting my prescription either and I didn't even go specifically asking for it.

I think it probably depends on what kind of weight management programmes your health board runs. I wouldn't think there were any in Northern Ireland

11. Alex_1978

Alex_1978 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st11lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    10st4lb(49.48%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Xenical until March 2011 then Weight Watchers, now Exante (from 4/9/11)
    That's great news Lynsey, let us know how you get on with it.
    And yes, Reductil has been withdrawn!! It's a bit worrying that your GP wanted to prescribe it to you!
    I've been on Xenical a few times now, and it's always been prescribed on a month-by-month basis. I go to see the nurse every fortnight, and she sorts out the prescription with the GP when I need one.
    Good luck! And ask any questions that you need to :)

12. slimmersoon

slimmersoon Member

Start Weight:
    20st8lb
    Current Weight:
    19st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(6.94%)
    Diet:
    Orlistat plus weight watchers
    I got Xenical fairly easily, i'm diabetic so weight loss is an important part of my treatment. I had to lose 7lbs to get it though.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.