• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Question about 1st GPs app

S: 25st4lb C: 24st11lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 51.2 Loss: 0st7lb(1.98%)
Hi all,

Hope you dont mind me picking your brians! :D I have my first GPs appointment today, I shall be asking him for Xenical/Orlistat, how long did it take you from your first GP appointment until you got the tablets? Did you have to get refered to a weight management clinic? I want to to start on these ASAP, I have alot to lose :cry:
Thanks

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Last edited:
S: 16st1lb C: 13st11lb G: 11st7lb BMI: 29.3 Loss: 2st4lb(14.22%)
I think it depends very much on your GP. Some like to see that you can lose weight yourself first, to show commitment, others don't seem to insist on this. I got mine straight away, no questions asked. Good luck!

KB x

S: 21st4lb C: 14st1lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 32.8 Loss: 7st3lb(33.89%)
The first time I asked for Xenical, my Dr refused and referred me to weight management ( I was over 21st at the time). I was so not amused :rolleyes::rolleyes:lol However I did go to weight management, and it did help for a while, but I was still yo yoing weight wise, so went back to my GP ( seen a different GP though), explained everything, about how my weight made me feel etc and I came out of that appointment with a prescription for the tabs ( at this point I was still over 20st).
Like Kitty says though, all GPS are different, even within the same practice :rolleyes:
Good luck xx

moonlite

S: 17st4.0lb C: 16st11lb G: 15st0.0lb BMI: 41.6 Loss: 0st7lb(2.89%)
I had to prove first that i was committed to losing weight so after a month I got them but mine doc's dont offer a weight management scheme. So it does vary on docs

The Weight Management scheme wasn't run by my Drs, it's run by my local health board and is hospital based ( my local health board is Greater Glasgow and Clyde) and as far as I know there are similar schemes in other parts of the country, but I'm not sure where :)
x

littlemissspendthrift

impossible is nothing
S: 22st7lb G: 11st0lb
hi there, i got xenical last week from the docs. i know YEARS ago i was told that i could be a candidate for it, but was told to lose.. i think 5 pound or 5 kg (cant remember) in a month to show i was committed. however i went this week, following being diagnosed with PCOS. i advised them that i knew my health was at serious risk with my weight, and that i wanted some help with it. i told him that i had researched xenical/orlistat and knew it wasnt a miracle diet pill (i really genuinely thought it was til i researched it and looked at peoples threads on here) but that it was a helping hand to stay on track - i call it my willpower pill. :D
my BMI was pretty much approaching 50 as you can see from my ticker below, and he prescribed 4 weeks worth. i have to go back after that to see if i have lost any and then he will prescribe another 4 weeks.

it does depend on doctors but i think it helps if you explain that you understand what xenical does and how you think it will help you.

S: 25st4lb C: 24st11lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 51.2 Loss: 0st7lb(1.98%)
Thanks for your replies. Just got home from my GP's. He tried to prescribe me Reductil!!?!? Think he is a bit behind the times as its now been withdrawn. So he has given me 4 weeks worth of Xenical. Im happy with that.

Glad you got the tabs hun, good luck on this part of your weight loss journey x

purple_kathryn

Mostly harmless
S: 21st0lb C: 13st7lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 31.4 Loss: 7st7lb(35.71%)
I had no problem getting my prescription either and I didn't even go specifically asking for it.

I think it probably depends on what kind of weight management programmes your health board runs. I wouldn't think there were any in Northern Ireland

Alex_1978

Gold Member
S: 20st11lb C: 10st7lb G: 10st5lb BMI: 25.6 Loss: 10st4lb(49.48%)
That's great news Lynsey, let us know how you get on with it.
And yes, Reductil has been withdrawn!! It's a bit worrying that your GP wanted to prescribe it to you!
I've been on Xenical a few times now, and it's always been prescribed on a month-by-month basis. I go to see the nurse every fortnight, and she sorts out the prescription with the GP when I need one.
Good luck! And ask any questions that you need to :)

S: 20st8lb C: 19st2lb G: 12st1lb BMI: 38.4 Loss: 1st6lb(6.94%)
I got Xenical fairly easily, i'm diabetic so weight loss is an important part of my treatment. I had to lose 7lbs to get it though.