Question for maintainers. (sp?)

Lostris

Serena's title didn't fit
This thread has food mentioning!!

Hi all,

As I'm going up the steps myself I have a question. My CDC says I am probably very carb sensitive and has advised me to only eat carbs 1x a day after CD. To me, this seems a bit troublesome. I could deal with 2x a day butt 1x? I know myself; I can't be arsed (excuse me) to make myself a lunch salad every day for the day after.

Do you guys eat carbs 1x a day or more? Might be a very silly question but was just wondering. I'm not even sure if CDC meant forever maybe she just meant for first month or so... but I'd like to be able to have a sandwich in the afternoon for lunch (when I'm at school) and I would very much like to be able to eat what the people at my studentplace eat (don't be alarmed; we eat very healthy lots of veg.) but they do stirfry and mix it with potatoes/rice etc..

Would I seriously have to throw the potatoes back or tell them I can only eat dinner with them if I don't have carbs the rest of the day???? They can't calculate my needs in everyday; we have people who work out a lot and they need carbs....

That thought is really frustrating hahah... I'm confused.

Carbs = bad ???

xxx

Last edited:
not in maintainance but my cdc said following a low gi plan works out best following this diet as carbs are in but gives more choice? did that make any sence, anyway something like Rosemary conelly ect

I do have carbs with every meal, but always have protein with them, even if it's just some nuts with some chocolate.

Protein is needed for satiety, but whether you need more carbs or less will depend on whether you are insulin resistant, or insulin sensitive. You notice how some people do really well on the red days of SW (lower carb to protein), whilst others do better on the green (high carb to protein). All to do with the insulin.

We are all different though and for me, it was a case of experimenting. not only did it mean that I could find a way of eating that was right for me, but all the experiments kept me focused with maintaining :)

Hi,

My CDC told me to try and stick to low GI foods too (and has already sent me lists etc.) but we had discussed having little carbs (1 meal a day) etc and she sent me an email saying this again so was just wondering if that's what maintainers do. :)

I'm glad to hear that does not seem to be the case :). I would have trouble with only 1 x carbs a day :) I will look forward to the experimenting :))

xx

The problem with only having one meal with carbs is that it would make the other meals very restricted. No fruit or veg for example. No banana for breakie. It would also work out pretty expensive to get your total calories in for the day.

I use the GL level as a tool, but it's not the whole story. Besides, it's quite complicated! Take a potato, that has one score, chew it too many times, and it has another score. Eat it with something else, and it changes again :D

Can't be doing with that, not forever.

Besides, some low GI foods make me drowsy.

GI is just one thing among very many variables. What suits some people might not suit another. Whatever you chose, it must be liveable with, not just another diet that restricts too much of any one food group otherwise it's so hard to live with

The problem with only having one meal with carbs is that it would make the other meals very restricted. No fruit or veg for example. No banana for breakie. It would also work out pretty expensive to get your total calories in for the day.

I use the GL level as a tool, but it's not the whole story. Besides, it's quite complicated! Take a potato, that has one score, chew it too many times, and it has another score. Eat it with something else, and it changes again :D

Can't be doing with that, not forever.

Besides, some low GI foods make me drowsy.

GI is just one thing among very many variables. What suits some people might not suit another. Whatever you chose, it must be liveable with, not just another diet that restricts too much of any one food group otherwise it's so hard to live with

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing concerning money. If I had to eat low carb veggies / meat / eggs all the time I would be robbed from all (*coughs!!!*) my money quite quickly. :'')

I'm a student, and though I don't drink alcohol or go out till late, I have the greatest trouble getting out of bed early :D If I had to cook meat and stuff for breakfast or have e.g. a cucumber I'd get sick of that pretty fast.

I would have trouble with little carbs, I would probably be eating cooked egg with cucumber for breakfast all weak coz I could cook all the eggs in 1 day and then just have 1 each day LOL.
Something like oatmeal with fruit or all bran with semi skimmed milk is much more doable for breakkie. Lots easier and buyable in big quantities = cheaper. :))

Ah well, my CDC is making a big file of documentation for me and she will give me tons more info. I'll discuss this with her next saturday when I see her again.

Is it bad to e.g. keep eating CD products coz you like them? :''''''''''''))). I've never had porridge much but I love CD porridge. Does it taste like the real thing? I'm clueless. xD

It will take a bit for me to get used to my after-CD life. It will still be 4 weeks before I'm completely ''off'' the packs but I don't really know how to plan it all yet. Ah well, plenty of time :))

x

I eat carbs all the time, lots and lots of them! :rolleyes::D

I agree that it all comes down to the individual and what suits your tastes, life style and body. However, and this is only a personal view, I think it is very easy to over analyse what we put in our mouths. I adopted the plan of making sure it was something I would enjoy, generally healthy and that the calories added up and haven't worried too much about whether it be protein, carb etc.

This suited me as one of the things I learnt about myself was that I needed to really enjoy what I ate - that may sound mad because surely we all do but, for example, my hubby has never had a weight problem and will eat what is in front of him, even if it isn't something he is particularly enjoying, if it is palatable and fills him up then fine. If I do the same I will end up leaving half of it, still being hungry and then go looking for something else!

xxx

I eat carbs all the time, lots and lots of them! :rolleyes::D

I agree that it all comes down to the individual and what suits your tastes, life style and body. However, and this is only a personal view, I think it is very easy to over analyse what we put in our mouths. I adopted the plan of making sure it was something I would enjoy, generally healthy and that the calories added up and haven't worried too much about whether it be protein, carb etc.

This suited me as one of the things I learnt about myself was that I needed to really enjoy what I ate - that may sound mad because surely we all do but, for example, my hubby has never had a weight problem and will eat what is in front of him, even if it isn't something he is particularly enjoying, if it is palatable and fills him up then fine. If I do the same I will end up leaving half of it, still being hungry and then go looking for something else!

xxx

Hi

This way of thinking sounds very good to me. I have to enjoy what I eat cuz if I do not I will be left feeling somewhat unsatisfied and I too would look for it elsewhere (CANDY, CHOC, BICCIES!!).

When I've had a nice meal and feel full, satisfied etc I will be less likely to eat bad stuff :)). I already knew that from trying to lose weight before doing CD :) That's why only carbs 1x did worry me; I really like carbs. :))

xx

Hi

This way of thinking sounds very good to me. I have to enjoy what I eat cuz if I do not I will be left feeling somewhat unsatisfied and I too would look for it elsewhere (CANDY, CHOC, BICCIES!!).

When I've had a nice meal and feel full, satisfied etc I will be less likely to eat bad stuff :)). I already knew that from trying to lose weight before doing CD :) That's why only carbs 1x did worry me; I really like carbs. :))

xx

Yep that's me exactly!

I hold the view that in maintenance no food should be forbidden. This freedom gives us choice and with choice comes power - ie we are in control, knowing I can have whatever I want whenever I want actually helps me because it takes away any "forbidden fruit" mentality which would make things more appealing than they perhaps are in reality.

Also, by saying I can only have x once a week or once a day can lead to feelings of constantly being on a diet.

Thanks for the post Lostris - it has really made me think!

xxx

Yep that's me exactly!

I hold the view that in maintenance no food should be forbidden. This freedom gives us choice and with choice comes power - ie we are in control, knowing I can have whatever I want whenever I want actually helps me because it takes away any "forbidden fruit" mentality which would make things more appealing than they perhaps are in reality.

Also, by saying I can only have x once a week or once a day can lead to feelings of constantly being on a diet.

Thanks for the post Lostris - it has really made me think!

xxx

Hiya,

I agree about forbidden fruits. If I told myself e.g. ''You are not allowed to have chocolate for the next year''..... I would go mad, simply because I restrict myself. I want to be able to tell myself I can have some, or that I can have a biscuit or ... something else that isn't good for me. I want to be able to have ''bad'' things too; what I will have to learn is moderation and can only learn that through trying. ;-).

We, here at my parents, have Saturday as bad food day. We eat eggs on white bread rolls in morning and french fries + ... something with it in evening. We usually all eat this together. This would be a killer day calorie wise ;-) Yet I don't want to tell myself; oh you can't have this when you're done with steps up etc. coz I know that if I do I will probably go MAD the next time we have it and binge like a crazy person ;-).

I know I can have things in moderation, just need to find that click in my head. I can also change things around a bit to make it more healthy and not have to deny myself things. :D

Hope that makes sense somehow lol. :) Will be changing the topic title to say it has food mentions :') *edit: oh I can't...*

x

I tend to agree with Berryred, I adore Low GI.

The beauty of low GI is that it allows you carbs, but leaves out the bad carbs like cookies, crisps, fried food and such. But you can have fruit, vedgies, bread (the good one we have over here, really really brown) with peanutbutter (drool)

Lots of people think dat low GI is low in carbs, but that's not the case. Carbs weren't invented by Satan, they're actually very good for you. They're the petrol for your engine. Only if you eat too much the carbs will be stored.... as fat :p
We only forgot they're good, because of CD.
It's just choosing the good carbs. And sometimes, once in a blue moon the bad bad carbs, because you're only human :D

It doesn't have to be expensive, really. It's not like Atkins or South Beach, where you have to eat lots of eggs, chicken and nuts, but it shows you what the good carbs are. Beans for instance, and they're really cheap.
For brekkie you can eat allbran plus, muesli (not the cruncy ones) in milk or some yoghurt, or some red fruits in summer.
For lunch you can have sandwiches and for dinner you can have pasta, low in GI as well. And again, cheap and very studenty :)

Mmmm, I'll quit now, I'm riding my hobbyhorse again (Dutch expression). As I said, I adore low GI. Can't wait to tuck in to that low GI lentilsoup :D

oh, and chocolate (the extra bitter variety) is actually very good for you. It protects you against heartdiseases and makes you happy. In moderate amounts of course ;)

oh, and chocolate (the extra bitter variety) is actually very good for you. It protects you against heartdiseases and makes you happy. In moderate amounts of course ;)

Please become my dietician hahah :D:D

Concerning low GI, I will try sticking to that mostly as it makes sense to me. :) I will have ''orange'' or ''red'' foods sometimes though, don't like the idea of restricting myself as said before but low GI is a good way to start I think. :)

I agree about it being quite affordable and that would be lovely for me; I could use some spare cash at the end of the month for once ;-). Used to spend it all on my snacking habits, now I spend A LOT on CD products hahaha.

Thanks for your reply xxx

Definitely agree you can over analyse and so easy to turn maintenance into a diet.

But it is about educating ourselves about nutrition and how you respond to foods.

I would never have anything to eat the I didn't particularly like, just because it was healthy/helped my weight. There's always suitable alternatives.

I have learnt a lot more about nutrition and how it effects our bodies, and that has made me lean towards slightly lower carbs, because not only was I very happy to eat a little more protein, but I felt so much better on it. I've since found out I am insulin resistant, which is probably why.

Nothing is set in stone though. I wouldn't describe myself as being on a low carb way of eating...just eat foods that I like and that make me feel good. If that happens to be chocolate...then so be it. But everything in moderation.

It's fun keeping an open mind and experimenting :)

bread (the good one we have over here, really really brown) with peanutbutter (drool)

I've been going through a rather long:eek: period of craving (and having) seeded bread toasted with crunchy peanut butter.

Have had to control that a bit. Was getting a little out of control!

I've been going through a rather long:eek: period of craving (and having) seeded bread toasted with crunchy peanut butter.

Oh heck, sounds yum - you might have moved me away from my toast and marmite obsession ;):D

Oh my... peanut butter.......... I used to LOVE that..

I look forward to experimenting. :) Will need to get a scale for me and a scale for food weighing @ student place though..... the moneyyyyyy :wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry:

Will start working out when on slightly higher carbs; I hope to start running... I bought an expensive sports bra so it will be such a waste of money if I don't put it to good use. :rolleyes:

xxx

When off the diet I can only eat rice, pasta, bread and cereal x2 a week sometimes 3 because of sensitivities etc

2 x a week??? That wasn't a typo was it... ? :(

I hope you've found some easy, cheap ways to still feed yourself otherwise it'd really suck....

xxx

Lostris

You will have fun experimenting. I have many sensitivities to foods high in sugar and yeast. So for me I avoid alcohol (3 glasses a week if that). No bread unless we go out (I'm vegetarian so I happily make salads everyday).

Also it's important to remember that If your not hungry dont eat and to eat slowly so that you brain can tell you when it's full and you dont continue to shovel food in your mouth (this is how many of us ended up having to diet in the first place).

Good luck and you'll be fine

Bren
X

Back