Question for the amazing maintainers!

I adopted the approach of increasing my calories at 100 per day for a week at a time until I reached a point where I neither lost nor gained. When I found that balance I never questioned whether this calorie level was considered high or low.

Just a quick point about this Georgie and not aimed at you as I'm sure you know how many calories you need after all this time :D

BUT

I often see people increase their calories, see no loss on the scales and assume that must be their maintenance levels.

Unfortunately it's not as clear cut as that. Sometimes we have to push the boundaries and that can take many weeks.

For example, when going up the plans, I didn't gain weight (overall)...but 2 weeks on 1000 = no loss. 1200 = no loss. 2 weeks on 1500 = no loss. Two weeks on 1700 = 2lbs loss:clap:

Turned out that about 1800kcals was my level, but it would have been easy to stop at 1000 thinking I would never be able to eat any more than that.

Just a quick point about this Georgie and not aimed at you as I'm sure you know how many calories you need after all this time :D

BUT

I often see people increase their calories, see no loss on the scales and assume that must be their maintenance levels.

Unfortunately it's not as clear cut as that. Sometimes we have to push the boundaries and that can take many weeks.

For example, when going up the plans, I didn't gain weight (overall)...but 2 weeks on 1000 = no loss. 1200 = no loss. 2 weeks on 1500 = no loss. Two weeks on 1700 = 2lbs loss:clap:

Turned out that about 1800kcals was my level, but it would have been easy to stop at 1000 thinking I would never be able to eat any more than that.

Yep agree :D

Right then, so do I have to finally concede that I must count calories for a while to maintain? I can't just 'wing it'?

I am so resistant to this, partly because I think it will make me make a 'hobby' out of food, partly because I am laid back and see this as a 'control' thing which isn't for me but most of all because I make most of our meals myself and after so long, I never weigh anything - well very rarely, nor do I follow recipies - well again only if I want to make something special, which isn't often. So a meal is never repeated exactly you see.
I feel that I 'know' what is good and not to eat......and it isn't true to say as a result of reading this - 'well now you know why you got fat, you didn't count calories.'
I know I got fat because I over ate, good food, but too much of it. And the wine.......empty calories, not too much, but too often. Genetics play a small part as does being very happy, I didn't 'worry' it off.
So, when I reach goal (note the 'when'!) do I have to calorie count to find my maintenance point?

Just tell it like it is, I can take it! I'm here to learn.

when I reached goal I had no idea of what amount of food would be considered "normal" or what that would look like in terms of calorie intake

Very true - I think this will be the hardest part for me. Having just discovered what is a 'normal' portion size for pasta (2oz!!!??? on one packet) I will find it very hard to stick to that. I'm slightly ashamed now to admit that in the past I've eaten my pasta from a mixing bowl as I couldn't get enough on my plate (or so I thought). I calculate now that I must have eaten over 2500 calories from that bowlful :eek:.
I don't think I will ever be satisfied with 2oz of pasta so I'm quite happy now to substitute pasta and rice for a pile of veggies for the same calorie value.
Does anyone think also that the amount of calories a larger person has to expend to just move around has a bearing? I've dropped about 4 stone and I know that if someone gave it to me in a bag and I had to lug it around with me all day I would certainly have to work harder. Now that I'm lighter I'm definitely using less energy to move/climb stairs etc. How much does this affect the calorie intake that I need?

So, when I reach goal (note the 'when'!) do I have to calorie count to find my maintenance point?
Bess, the Atkins plan works on the same basis (increasing carbs instead of calories though) - I think it's a good handle to have on food intake (for me anyway) as I had no idea of the amount of calories I needed. I think it's around 1800 now, which is a lot less than the publicised 2000 recommended for a woman - didn't it recently go up to 2500?
I like the more regimented systems as I like to work within a framework. When I get a bit more confident I can 'freewheel' more :D

Very true - I think this will be the hardest part for me. Having just discovered what is a 'normal' portion size for pasta (2oz!!!??? on one packet) I will find it very hard to stick to that.

I think most would put 3oz as a good amount for a lady. I do 3oz for me, 4oz for my DH and boys. People tend to have way too much cereal too. 30g is usually fine for porridge I've found. I don't weigh it now, but have a measuring spoon that seems pretty accurate. And um...not saying more is wrong...just talking about the average amount. It all depends on what else you eat that day.

Now that I'm lighter I'm definitely using less energy to move/climb stairs etc. How much does this affect the calorie intake that I need?

Yes, a lot. And age changes it too. The lighter you are, the less calories you need for everything. The older you are, the less calories you need. Same with height and gender.

Have a play on this and try out certain weights
Calories Per Day Calculator - Basal Metabolic Rate

I like the more regimented systems as I like to work within a framework. When I get a bit more confident I can 'freewheel' more :D

I think that this is probably a sensible way for me to go too.

I heard, this week that the calories we are supposed to have had gone up too. Strange.....

I love your 'stop faffing about' ! Just what I feel too!

Hey Bess

I think calorie counting comes down to personal preference. I would recommend it in the early stages of maintenance as it gives you a basis for understanding what your bodies requirements are. It can also give you guidance if your weight is going up or fluctuating. I did it religiously for quite some time after reaching goal. I don't really do it now but through having done it I have a good idea of how much I can eat, if you know what I mean.

I get where you are coming from re not wanting to be constrained and that is certainly where I am at now but I think the difficulty with winging it in the early stages is it allows so much room for miscalculation of your bodies needs.

x

According to the calculator link, I used to be able to eat 300 calories a day more than I do now :sigh: baaaaah
Either that, or I need to grow to 6 foot 11 :rolleyes:
I think CD has been fab for me, apart from the weight loss as for the first time in my life, I now know how many calories I need to eat to keep stable - this will help me to plan ahead if I've got an 'eating outing' planned and (more importantly for me), I now have an idea of MY weight - if you had asked me this time last year, I honestly would not have had an answer as it could have been anything within a 3 stone range. I used to envy people who knew what 'their' weight was and could therefore tell if they had put on a few pounds.

According to the calculator link, I used to be able to eat 300 calories a day more than I do now :sigh: baaaaah.

Awww. You should get a fair few for your height though. I take it you put the right activity level in?

Bess: I can understand what you mean about home cooking and calorie counting. I cook a lot at home and rarely follow recipes. That's why I chose calorie counting software which had plans where I could set up the basics and the change bits after it was entered in my diary. It was so easy.

Also having a flat topped scales helped, so I could just put the pan or bowl on the scales, reset to 0 and add the next thing.

But, it wasn't just calorie counting I did. Calories are for the weight and it was more important to me to learn how to eat healthily and 'normally'. I was so used to eating diety type foods (limited fats), followed by bingey type foods, my balance was way out. It was the only way I could see what I really needed, not just what I needed to control my weight.

Calories are just one part of it all. Unfortunately, most people are just concerned about the weight, hence what often turns into yoyo dieting.

Most software shows the carbs/proteins/fats percentages. All those were important to me too. How was I to know whether I was getting enough fat, or protein even if the cals added up without giving that a double check?

I take it you put the right activity level in?

KD, I went for sedentary as anything more than that is a bonus. I didn't want to say 'Moderately Active' as I don't do any regular exercise. I know I need to move more (although job sometimes is fairly active)

Yes, you are quite right Porgeous and KD, thankyou. I need to get a grip on cals and types of food and not assume I know, or can guess it. I think you've mentioned the one you tried KD, I can't remember where though, but which software did you use? And Porgeous? How did you count?

Can't quite decide on the going back to CD dilemma, but whatever I do I will calorie/food type count so that I learn. I am not going to give up, of that I'm sure. Thankyou.

I use the free tracker www.fitday.com which gives me enough detail and you can input your own custom foods. I know there are others that you pay for that you can personalise further but I find this one is fine

Yes, you are quite right Porgeous and KD, thankyou. I need to get a grip on cals and types of food and not assume I know, or can guess it. I think you've mentioned the one you tried KD, I can't remember where though, but which software did you use? And Porgeous? How did you count?

Can't quite decide on the going back to CD dilemma, but whatever I do I will calorie/food type count so that I learn. I am not going to give up, of that I'm sure. Thankyou.

I also used an online tracker combined with some flat top kitchen scales like KD mentioned. The website I used was weightlossresources, which is really good but you do have to pay a monthly subscripton. I know there are some pretty good free sites out there but unfortunately don't know the names!

It can be a bit more time consuming but once you have invested the time in the early days it will pay you back in the future as you will always have that knowledge and guesstimating then becomes alot more accurate.

xx

KD, I went for sedentary as anything more than that is a bonus. I didn't want to say 'Moderately Active' as I don't do any regular exercise. I know I need to move more (although job sometimes is fairly active)

I would say do lightly active. I'm not sure that their description is very good. Sedantary is usually bed bound.

Bess. I used WLR like porgeous. After I finished counting I deleted my subscription, but found that I often wanted to do the odd day, or look up things for other people and the book I had was too slow. I tried umpteen free sites but never felt right with any of them. They either didn't show the daily %s of ratios, or a whole of a recipe (or plan) would be input into the diary as a job lot, rather than individually. Made it a nightmare for tweaking when I wanted to take out an ingredient, or change the quantity of one part of it.

I ended up buying Perfect Diet Tracker as well...it was perfect for my needs :) Just one payment £35 or something and should last me the rest of my life so no new books to buy when products change, and everything I need. Well worth it for me

Oh Kitty, I am soooooo envious!! We are freezing here and the beautiful sunny days have given way to a grey one. I spend ages lugging water from the only unfrozen tap to the animals and freezing my fingers no matter which gloves I wear. Even the novelty of sledging has worn off for the children and the Rayburn is surrounded by dripping coats, hats, wellies and gloves....ugh. Your world sounds wonderful to me just now!! I saw a satelite photo of the UK completely covered in snow which I should think is very unusual indeed. No sign of a thaw yet.....:(

Oh hun - I hope you guys get a nice thaw very soon!!... all the wetness must grow tiresome :(..... but I am envious of your world as well! - I love animals and would love to live the country life (maybe one day when hubby and I retire which feels like in a million years!) horses are my favourite but all creatures are special and so interesting to observe..... AND you wont beleive it but I have never felt snow!! i am almost 30 but havent managed to get down to the snow (which we do have but only in a few small regions of the country over a shortish period of time).... so a winter wonderland sounds fab but I understand it would take its toll - I know with myself if we have more than 2 cloudy/rainy days in a row I get depressed! Tell me about all your animals!!

I ended up buying Perfect Diet Tracker as well...it was perfect for my needs :) Just one payment £35 or something and should last me the rest of my life so no new books to buy when products change, and everything I need. Well worth it for me

Thanks KD - it looks like I will need to get this as well!....

Hi Kitty,

It's amazing, we can contact each other all over the world by typing a few lines and pressing a button, so it makes us feel close. Then I read that you have never felt snow!
It's a little less cold today and the main roads are passable but getting in and out along the lanes is an interesting experience! Having been told by OH, (with a demonstration) that I need to take a run at our hill, I tried it tonight.....and came skidding sideways into the yard......heart firmly in my mouth. I'm not doing that again. I'll leave the car at the bottom of the hill and he can get it.
It isn't wet - yet, that will come with the thaw and I shan't be a bit sorry!
We don't have many animals now, recently got rid of the sheep, now electronic ear tagging is compulsory, it makes keeping a few impossible.. so just poultry and a horse. Dog/cat and the children's pets too.
It must be so lovely to have lots of sunshine, I'm not sure I like very hot weather though. Well, I am actually, I don't. But sunshine - lovely, doesn't everything feel good in the sun?

I love our long long days of summer (and hate the short winter ones), do you have this change in day length as well? And what are your 'winters' like ? Just wet? Aren't they in June/July?

Back