Question - Slimfast V Tetra Packs

louale

Silver Member
Hi,

Recently I've been living on the Chocolate tetra packs, bars and soups and enjoy putting a tetra pack in the freezer and having choc ice-cream at night - yum!

I'm going abroad for 6 weeks and have planned to take away my CD soups, bars and packet shakes with me, however there is no way that I can pack a suitcase full of tetra packs as they simply would be too heavy and I'd need to take over 40 of them.

I had a SlimFast choc shake in the kitchen and just checked the carbs on the bottle, (per 100mls) the Slimfast has only 8.0g of carbs, whilst the CD chocolate tetra has 14.g of carbs. Do you think it would be OK for me to buy and drink the choc Slimfast shakes whilst abroad, or is there another reason why I shouldn't use Slimfast shakes, whilst on holiday? I'm aware that the CD tetras are only 200mls, but if I only drank 200mls of Slimfast instead, so you think this would be OK?

I'm worried about not having my ready made shakes on hols and it would be nice to continue making ice-cream whilst on holiday.

Is there another ingredient I should be looking out for? Surely the Slimfast shakes won't make much of a difference to the diet, will they?

Louale x

I would check the protein and calorie levels, as well as the vitamins as the tetras are designed to give you 33% of your rda.

I heard there is alot of sugar in Slim Fast? Could be wrong though! xx

s
I had a SlimFast choc shake in the kitchen and just checked the carbs on the bottle, (per 100mls) the Slimfast has only 8.0g of carbs, whilst the CD chocolate tetra has 14.g of carbs.

I should double check that. I haven't got either product here to look at, but guess that you are comparing the carbs of 100mls of slimfast with the whole tetra?

If I remember correctly, a whole bottle of slimfast is something like 26g, whereas a tetra was about 14g?

The slimfast stuff is bigger, but I very much doubt anyone would just serve themselves 1/2 a bottle of slimfast for a meal.

yes if its 8g per 100ml it has more than tetras as they only have 14g per carton so 7g per 100ml, I dont know how many mils there are in slimfast ready mades but if you dont take it all you wont get all the vitamins in that either and there is not enough vitamins to take only slimfast you would have to have the meal too.

If you took a mix of bars and tetras you'd be grand and it would leave plenty of space in the case for coming home ;)

Enjoy your hols, I really admire anyone who sticks to programme when going away :)

Hi,

The comparison is for 100mls of both tetra and Slimfast, so per 100mls, the carb content is lower.

I tasted the Slimfast shake and it is not as nice as the CD tetras, but obviously I would only have the same equivalent in Slimfast as I would in D tetra.

I had planned to take the bars too, but I'm away for 6 weeks, therefore I need to take a total of 135 meals, which is why I thought a combination of bars and packet shakes, then I could buy the Slimfast whilst I was on hols.

Louale x

Hi,

The comparison is for 100mls of both tetra and Slimfast, so per 100mls, the carb content is lower.

I'm very confused by that, as I know tetras aren't 14g for a 100ml (owing to the fact that I remember they were 14g for the whole lot).

Hang on....I've gotta research this :D

Hi KD,

Thanks for your response.

You are in fact correct, I had to peal the glue (where the straw is stuck) off the tetra pack to read that it is per pack and not per 100mls. Therefore it has 1g more (per mil) than the tetra packs.

I'm starting to go off the idea of using them already, it's just that it would be soooo convenient and an alternative to the powder soups, packs and bars that I'm already taking, plus the fact that I could make them into shakes too! The fact that they are soooooo much cheaper too is also a bonus lol I'm starting to think that if I start having some of this and some of that, it's probably not such a good idea.

Thanks for the info.

Louale x

Right. The tetras are slightly lower in carbs than the slimfast. If you were to have the equivalent in Slimfast (200ml), then the difference would be negligible. But....the extra sugar and flavourings, lack of protein, vits and minerals in a Slimfast would probably mean you would come out of ketosis:(

Carb for carb and calorie for calorie they would be similar, but it would be hard to do :( You would have to be very strict with yourself to pour just over half a bottle of slimfast, whilst feeling hungry each time.

Adding a vit and mineral tablet will help keep those levels up. Maybe a week. 6 weeks though. Oh gosh. Wouldn't really be advisable

Oh...sorry. Posted together Louale. I didn't see your reply.

Thanks for looking that up for me KD.

I've decided against it now, like you said, it will be too hard to do.

Just going to have to take more powder shakes and less tetra and start using my imagination with those packs.

Thanks again.
Louale

louale

are you going to stay with family or friends? If so coudl you get some tetras sent over before you go? DHL, FEDEX?

wow - a 6 weeks holiday. sounds ace!!

Back