Question

Hi all,
so ive been doing calorie counting for two weeks now, and havent weighed myself yet as i plan to do it monthly as i HATE the scales.

But im slightly worried im going about this diet in the wrong way.

When its said that you can have 1200 calories a day what does this mean?
does it mean you can have 1200 of whatever you like?

For example can you have crisps everyday as long as your within you calorie range & eat healthy meals.

can you eat very low calories all day & then have a takeaway of 1000 calories on the night.

Im not stupid & know fat,carbs ect..

BUT it is called calorie counting.

i would be Really grateful for any advise on this?

Jade x:confused:

Hi Jade,

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have been counting since June. :)

I believe that you can eat whatever you like. The way we loose weight is by not eating more calories than our bodies burn. Less in, more out! If you want to eat 1200 cals worth of crisps, then that is your choice. As long as you are burning more than 1200 cals, you should loose weight.
What I will say though, is that you will feel like s**t if you do!! The great joy of calorie counting is that NOTHING is banned, but if you use your calorie limit on crap, you will feel like crap!
Since starting this diet I have realised that eating my 5 a day makes me feel great, and also the healthy stuff is low in cals meaning you can eat more and feel full, avoiding the dredded "munchies".
Alot of us on here have "treat days" where we allow ourselves a few naughties, but you can treat yourself and stay within cals, therefore not ruining all your hard work.

If you want to save your calories for the evening and enjoy a take away, you can. Sometimes I have a really light brekkie and lunch and keep 1000 cals for a treat and a couple of glasses of wine. What I will say though, is you can't save all your calories up over the week and use them all at the weekend. Calories only stay valid for a 12ish hour period, so it doesn't really work when you save them up. I don't know the technicalities behind it, maybe te others on here can shed more light on that one.

Be as healthy as you can for most of the time, but if you crave a treat or want a night out, then don't deny yourself anything. You will soon work out how your body works and whats best for you. :)

I can only agree with the above :)
I follow the My Fitness Pal way of calorie counting, whereby I eat back my exercise calories. I do alot of walking and hill climbing, and often have 3000 or more extra calories to eat on weekends/days off. It means I've eaten out more, eaten more pizza, chocolate, crisps and ice cream than ever before in my life. Boozy nights out (usually on Guinness and ale) used to set me back a few lbs, for a good 2/3 weeks after no matter how 'good' I was food wise - not I just go climb a couple of hills the morning of a night out, get a couple of thousand or more calories in the bank, and have a great night, complete with take away on the way home - and will still USUALLY have lost come WI day!

CCing is the 'diet' of kings. I LOVE it. I'm losing an average of 1lb every 5 days!

i would have to agree with both posts above, you can eat what you like, i do not deny myself anything, if i fancy it i have it which is a good thing to have. if you want something that will go over your cals do more exercise that is what i do. However i would recommend you put in your fruit and veg, it will make you feel better, i am struggling with this as i seem to have developed an allergic reaction to fresh fruit (sounds weird but it is true) every time i have some my lips and mouth go all tingly and start to hurt and then my tongue and my throat feel like they are swelling up! i thought stuff it the other day and had 100g of strawberries and a banana as i do love fruit, but my oh my was i very poorly the next day ! so i am having to stay away from it, so i am finding it hard to get my 5 a day with just veg as i am not too keen on it :(
anyway i have rambled on a bit but the gist of it is yes you can eat whatever the hell you like but try to make small changes each day or each week to healthier foods, and that will be easier to maintain.
xxx

Thanks so much ladies for the info!

since starting iv hardlies gone over my calories which is 1200, & have been under alot.

Just worried that having quavers everyday for dinner with fruit or soup would nock my diet.

I really think CC is great as you can eat for example crisps & still feel asif your dieting. AMAZING :)

'If you want to save your calories for the evening and enjoy a take away, you can.'

thats great isnt it? one of the biggest downfalls of my 'diets' in past & its possible to do if your sensible with your calories & do exercise to bunk them up!!

i have 1000 calories left for tea, TAKEAWAY time.
haha only joking ladies

jade xx;) thanks again

I sort of agree but different foods have different impacts on things like metabolism, digestion etc

I eat 1200 calories a day - I really struggle to lose and celebrate every pound

I know if I eat pizza, mcd, bread - that I'll end up constipated (which doesn't help on WI day) - I've just spent a few days walking for hours and hours around Edinburgh and eating loads extra as exercise calories - but high sugar, high processed and I didn't touch a vegetable for nearly a week - if the theory is eat anything as long as in calories - I should have lost - but I haven't as I'm bloated

We all know what good foods are so I'd say just be sensible

See, I don't find carbs bloat me at all, not even a little bit. We're all different :) I am finding out lots about myself and my body since starting CCing.

iwillsoonbeslim said:
See, I don't find carbs bloat me at all, not even a little bit. We're all different :) I am finding out lots about myself and my body since starting CCing.

Absolutely we are all different - I love carbs but too much particularly wheat based give me ibs and makes me fat - hence my name!!!

It's weird because since starting this diet I have discovered loads about what my body can and cannot handle.
I have always suffered from IBS since I can remember, but never really knew the triggers. Since CCing and cutting stuff out, I have realised that White bread is a killer. I treated myself to a lovely white roll a few weeks back and I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach!! Never again will I eat lovely fluffy bread. :)

Squeezyweezy said:
It's weird because since starting this diet I have discovered loads about what my body can and cannot handle.
I have always suffered from IBS since I can remember, but never really knew the triggers. Since CCing and cutting stuff out, I have realised that White bread is a killer. I treated myself to a lovely white roll a few weeks back and I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach!! Never again will I eat lovely fluffy bread. :)

I'm the same - had no IBS for ages - wheat and stress my triggers

Well i have egg on toast every morning, small wholemeal 400g loaf x2 and one large egg. Fills me up and usually have some grapes or strwbs after it. I often wonder how much fat we should be having. For example, if i bauy a treat like a cream scone, i see the calories are 250 which im fine with, and then i look at the fat!!! And omg sooo high. Puts me off wanting to eat one!

Well i have egg on toast every morning, small wholemeal 400g loaf x2 and one large egg. Fills me up and usually have some grapes or strwbs after it. I often wonder how much fat we should be having. For example, if i bauy a treat like a cream scone, i see the calories are 250 which im fine with, and then i look at the fat!!! And omg sooo high. Puts me off wanting to eat one!

How strange that you should mention eggs and toast for brekkie. I have been eating granola everyday for breakfast and I'm sick of it, so decided to have dippy egg and toast next week. Eggs are low in fat and fill you up for longer, so gonna try it.
Not sure about the whole fat situation. The way I do it is by concerntrating on the cals. Most of the time if I've gone over on fat I'm pretty close to going over on cals, so I just watch it really. High fat is usually bad, so I steer clear. Although now I am fancying a lovely scone with clotted cream!!! :D

How strange that you should mention eggs and toast for brekkie. I have been eating granola everyday for breakfast and I'm sick of it, so decided to have dippy egg and toast next week. Eggs are low in fat and fill you up for longer, so gonna try it.
Not sure about the whole fat situation. The way I do it is by concerntrating on the cals. Most of the time if I've gone over on fat I'm pretty close to going over on cals, so I just watch it really. High fat is usually bad, so I steer clear. Although now I am fancying a lovely scone with clotted cream!!! :D

I couldnt live without my egg on toast lol! I eat it every morning, and most morning im thinking hmm should i be eating this again?
:confused:

But it fills me and stops me from being naughty! My only problem is around 7pm to bedtime. I go on a wild binge! Not good!

And mmmm i feel like one now but dont have them in! Must buy a box monday yum x

Chick10 - as long as you have a balanced diet no reason why not to have egg on toast everyday! Perhaps have another at 7pm to stop the binge!!?!!

chick10Well i have egg on toast every morning, small wholemeal 400g loaf x2 and one large egg

MMMM! im going to deffo have some of this tomorrow, just the thought of dipping the bread and the yoak oooozing out yum! much better than my usual special K bar with a cuppa!

I weighed in 2 1/2 pounds lighter on friday but family bbq on sunday with ALOT of burgers kebabs on sticks ect.. water time!! :tear_drop:

x

I've just moved from 1,100 to 1,2000 as I had lower on my holidays as I just found it was easier for me to have it like that but have also been eating more chocolate (main culprit) and sugary things since I've been back. I've put on 1 lb and my digestive tract hasnt been feeling too good either (TMI) so thats a lesson for me. I'll be sticking with the more 'healthier' things i think from now on.

Back