Question ??!! :)

munchbunch

Gold Member
Evening ladies Iv posted on facebook I know some of you are on the page but I asked whether I could have a carrot and swede mash that contains 40%potato Now I know you'll be thinking IS SHE CRAZY ??!! Lol My packs come to 37 carbs a day The mash is 52 calories per 100g And also 11.2 per 100g carbs Now I know we shouldn't have potatoes & I think iv sparked a bit of a debate , so thought if ask over here as well !! If we are under the carbs and calories allowed for the day can anyone explain why this wouldn't be acceptable to have ?? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Having put the jet lag to one side and put my nutrition course head back on, it really is a matter of total carbs when it comes to ketosis. So, if your carbs are green for the day, then it shouldn't matter at all. However - potato is a very heavy carb load so you won't get much for your dollar. I think sometimes it's also about breaking the carb habit, as well as the overall nutritional and carb content of allowable or not allowable foods.

I lost 5 stone last year, and had on a good number of days (the majority of each week) red onion in my veggies. I was totally convinced this was the only onion we could have, when really it's the highest carb onion and wasn't on the list at all - but I still lost - I think red onion is on the list now as it's been relooked at, but it definitely wasn't there last year! Beetroot was another one not on the list, but I was advised that as long it was carb counted and I stayed in green then it wouldn't matter. I took the same approach on the odd occasion with mini rolls - counted in the carbs, figured it was better than having a total blow out and undoing all the hard work. And I still lost.

So, to answer your question - for a ketogenic diet, it's ok, for a ketogenic vlcd purest, probably not :)

You could technically eat your daily calories as carbs

This is my understanding

carbs = sugar = glycogen build = readily available energy instead of burning ketones/fat

My body runs better on very low carb diet I really notice carb coma and carb face if I over indulgence now. It's something you would need to experiment with to see how it effects you & weight loss/gain. The longer I'm in keto the more tolerant I become of eating higher carb sometimes I can switch in and out Ketosis quickly. I think this what is called carb cycling

Start 10st 11.4lbs
Goal weight 9st 3lbs
Ultimate goal weight 8st 10lbs

Thanks ladies !

My intention was to find some swede mash just plain and add cabbage and onions to it . I found as above mash swede and carrots then when I got home it says 40% potato and I hadn't realised .

I think I will give it a whirl if I don't see progress I know why !! :) I definitely wouldn't go to the extent of eating cakes and such like !! But as you say having something small and counting it is was better than having a total blowout .

I just fancied something different & wanted to get more veggies in somewhere as I don't eat them and have been struggling to go to the bathroom (tmi sorry ) To know that option is available will make a nice change from time to time !

Thanks so much for the advice :)

Last edited:
I hate it when packaging doesn't actually tell you what's in it!! Like those innocent smoothies - they are pretty much all mostly banana no matter what flavour it says on the front!
I'm sure it won't do you any harm as you've counted out your carbs. And I'm sure it tastes yummy!! Hope it gets things moving ;)

Sometimes I find that if I eat most of my carbs together in one meal it can knock me out of ketosis, even if I stay within the daily limit. Give it a go and see how your body reacts.

Back