Question?

Jada

Have any of you's lost weight just by walking? Financially I can't afford to go to the gym and walking is the only way I can see to loose the weight. If so how much weight were you losing a week? I have walked around the block in the past and it's about 5km and takes over an hour or maybe an hour and a half. I'm happy to walk this long in the evenings as I need something else to do then just sitting on the internet all day.

Walking is a great form of exercise for all parts of your body.
In the summer I got a dog and we walk all over and now its become something I really enjoy. In fact I love planning a nice long walk with her.

In the past I used to walk a couple of miles per day and the weight really did shift.

Its great for your heart too. I think its recommended to do 30mins of exercise per day (depending on your health of course) so what you're planning seems plenty.

Also, at the end of the day, if you're getting out and moving your body then it must be good for the weight loss!

Good Luck with it!

xx

Thanks Jemma, I've fallen off diets before because I never stuck to them but walking for me will be just fine, I've asked my mother if she wants to walk with me and she said yes. I seriously would like to ask these people around the corner where I live if I can take their dog for a walk but that might seem rude. Plus I've never asked them before. I'm a pet lover and find this dog so cute, when I used to walk I would look forward to petting him/her each time. I miss animals since we rent we're not allowed them.

Oh what a shame! If you really enjoy dog walking then most rescue centres would appreciate your help. Im sure this is only on a volunteer basis but it helps them out and also your waistline!

I'd recommend going with someone too, its nice to walk and chat as it doesnt really feel like exercise! If you cant manage to find someone to go with your, stick an Mp3 player or radio (i have one on my phone) in your ears and you're set!

i think walking is great form of exercise! and totally free.

my mum used to be really into walking everywhere and she was always slim - so its definitely good for you :D

Phew went for a walk down to the shops which took an hour there and back and to have a look around, right now it's summer and it's going to get hot. Now that was just 1km and I think I've had my head in the clouds thinking that walking was going to be easy. Well at least I started.

As for the rescue centres Jemma I'd love to volunteer but they are about an hour away from me so it's too far, I have volunteered before and looked after the puppies and the older dogs. Puppies are cute but can be a handful when you've got about 8 swinging off your leg and wanting attention, they were adorable though.

I plan to start my diet on Monday and that's when the walking will begin, I've yet to map out what I am going to do and how I will do it.

When I was dieting and walking I lost weight but when I stopped walking as much my weight loss slowed, so the walking definitely helped me!
Good luck with both your diet and walking!!!

~Silence~

Walking is excellent exercise! It's great for weight loss, fitness, and health (helps lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol, etc), and for women, it's important that it's weight-bearing and helps you to maintain strong bones so you don't end up with osteoporosis. I exercise a lot, but walking is one of my absolute favorites. It requires minimum investment (some good walking shoes are important), and really you can get a lot of benefit from it. You can get a lot of pointers and tips from various walking organizations and clubs on the 'net, too, all for free!

So go for it! :D

Yes I'm just frightened that I won't loose as much weight as going to the gym but I really have no choice. I plan to cut back on my meals to I know it's unhealthy to not eat 4 times a day but I only eat dinner and sometimes when I'm peckish I will have a sandwhich or 2 later on.

You may sabotage yourself by eating that way, Jada; it's better to have 3 smaller meals each day to keep your metabolism up. If you don't eat regularly, your body will hold on to fat, and that defeats the whole purpose!

As for the amount of weight you can or can't lose by walking, if you stick to it and increase the distance and intensity over time, you can lose a lot of weight by walking and eating healthily!

You may sabotage yourself by eating that way, Jada; it's better to have 3 smaller meals each day to keep your metabolism up. If you don't eat regularly, your body will hold on to fat, and that defeats the whole purpose!

As for the amount of weight you can or can't lose by walking, if you stick to it and increase the distance and intensity over time, you can lose a lot of weight by walking and eating healthily!

Thanks for pointing that out ChristieK, now that you mention it I see what you mean. I've decided now to have 3 meals a day, don't want not loose weight.

Back