quiche disaster!

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by Ambermaria23, 20 February 2011 Social URL.

1. Ambermaria23

Ambermaria23 Full Member

Hi

Just made a quiche with the following ingredients- it was awful tbh. It didn't have the gooey consistency of a normal quiche- it tasted like a very salty omellette.

Here's what I did:

Spring onions, unsmoked bacon slices, mushrooms, tomatoes, 5 eggs and 2 tubs of 250g cottage cheese

High quantities of eggs and cheese in the hope for a deep quiche which would last a few days...

It was like omellete consistency and really salty :(

Anyone have any advice on what may have gone wrong...

Thanks a million

Xx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. slickers

slickers Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(16.88%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world
    i use 3 eggs and 300g of cottage cheese and blend together maybe you used to much and didnt cook properly. mine is plenty and deep enough for 4 meals or snacks

4. Ambermaria23

Ambermaria23 Full Member

Thanks for your reply- once cold does it have the usual consistency of purchased quiche- yummy soft gooey like?

5. bevhunter1986

bevhunter1986 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st4.6lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(9.85%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yikes, I made the quiche too n yuk yuk yuk! Was absolutely vile, n then to top it off it made me feel very sick later on in the day. I don't think me and cold homemade egg recipes go together. I made sure everything was fully cooked, and it went a pale grey colour after being in the fridge overnight, thought it was going to be nice. I'm lucky I took back up food to work :sigh:

6. Ambermaria23

Ambermaria23 Full Member

Yes I was really disappointed :(

Just looked at normal quiche recipes and they use eggs and double cream which is why it ends up so lovely and creamy!

Oh well... I've cooked alot of sw recipes all nice! Will give us one a miss :(

7. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I hate cottage cheese, but actually love the SW quiche. I have never had any problems like you describe and it always taste pretty close to a quiche except for no pastry base of course.

I use a 500g tub of cottage cheese, and 4 eggs and blend it till smooth with a good strong cheddar cheese (as part of a HEa) - the cheese is important I think. Then I brown whatever I am adding to the filling and mix that in, pour into a quiche dish and bake in the oven.

I tend to avoid adding tomatoes, except for slices on the top, as I find they can sometimes release too much liquid and make it go sloppy.

If you want a nice quiche with a base, this is my favourite off my blog:

Roasted Red Pepper and Bacon Quiche | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

It is a bit more time consuming to make, but worth it.

8. JackJane

JackJane Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st5.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I have made the quiche quite a few times and always drain the cottage cheese to get rid of excess liquid which can make it go soggy. I love the quiche and usually have it with spinach and mushrooms or mushrooms and onions.

9. jean501

jean501 Member

Start Weight:
    11st1lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.65%)
    Diet:
    mostly slimming world
    I've never tried the quiche, but frittata or spanish omelette can be similar but without the base.

I made spanish omelette with par boiled sliced or diced potatoes, onion mushrooms sliced peppers with HE a of cheese.

I was going to use some for tea and take the rest to work for lunch next day (keeps 2-3 days in the fridge) but between myself and my husband there wasn't any left yum yum :)

Jean

10. blue*smartie

blue*smartie Blue Rulz

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5.5lb(25.41%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    The first time I made a quiche I ended up with more of an omelette than a quiche. I tried just lightly mixing the egg with the cottage cheese rather than beating it in (which is what I was doing). It did help with the consistency, I think I was adding too much air to it before

11. Say

Say Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I tend to brown off whatever I'm adding.

I'll whisk 4 eggs then after add 1 tub of 300g cottage cheese, stir it in, add in ingredients (bacon diced up, mushrooms, broccoli and so on. Bit of salt, bit of pepper. Mix with a metal spoon and pop into a quiche dish! Hexa of cheese on top with slices of tomato!

12. ginlin

ginlin Better to Drink your Syns

Start Weight:
    12st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6.5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12.5lb(7%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I recently made the quiche using 350 g tub of Tesco light choices cottage cheese with onion and chives,3 eggs and dry fried mushrooms and lean bacon, have to say it was delicious.

13. Kirstyd22

Kirstyd22 Member

I make quiche and it actually turns out yummy!!

1packet of pasta n sauce: mild cheese and broccoli
    3 large eggs
    Fromais frais
    56g low fat cheese

Make up the pasta n sauce as normal and layer into an oven proof dish wen ready.
    Beat 3 eggs and add Fromais frais I usually add haf the tub.
    Mix together, and pour over pasta mixture, sprinkle cheese over and put in2 oven at 190 for about 20mins!
    It's beautiful with baked potato and salad!

14. jennibells

jennibells Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0.5lb(17.01%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I Make it with 250g cottage cheese, 2/3 eggs and loads of veg and ham mix all together and then pop in the oven till top is golden brown. Never have any probs with it!

15. RegField

RegField Silver Member

message deleted

Last edited: 23 February 2011
  16. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Well perhaps your one doesn't come out like a quiche but mine does!

Look nobody here is trying to pretend that it is a straight like-for-like substitute (mine comes darn close though). This recipe and others like it that mimic full-fat products are attempts to make it easier for people to stay on plan when otherwise they might nip off to Marks and buy a quiche. To that end it is a great recipe. I had a filling, almost syn free vegetable quiche for lunch today. If you don't like this then what about a standard fritatta?

17. vanwoodle

vanwoodle Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    2st3lb(17.42%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Perhaps you could try using quark instead of cottage cheese? I find this a better texture. I use 3 large eggs to a 250g tub and it comes out very nice indeed!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. hollys nan

hollys nan Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(17.98%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I did this today, have made it twice now! I use 150g smart price cottage cheese (low cals), 3 eggs, bacon pieces which I pre cook, and HEB cheese. Bung it all together and there you have it, 25 mins later. My little grandaughter loved it, although she isnt really on S W. She did have other things as well for calories ha ha.

20. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    LOL Reg :D

I love SW quiche! My favourite one is broccoli, quorn bacon and sweetcorn.

21. NewDawn

NewDawn Bring on the trumpets

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4lb(8.18%)
    I love SW quiche....some of my efforts have been commendable....but not tonight.....but still very tasty all the same.............might try it with quark :bunnydance::bunnydance:

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.