quinoa and oats?

ruth frances

I've never tried quinoa before, but I have heard you can have it for breakfast like porridge. What i was wondering was, would a mixture of quinoa and rolled oats cooked like a normal porridge work? Does quinoa take longer to cook?

Personally, I stick with regular porridge oats for brekkie. I know that you can use the quinoa flakes for a porridge style brekkie. So use the flakes instead of whole quinoa which take a little longer to cook. The flakes will cook in the same time as the porridge.
Enjoy.

I've only seen quinoa that looks like sort of large granules. i'll have to have a look in the healthfood shop for flakes and give that a go

I think you can get the flakes in Holland and Barrett. I remember trying it years ago when on a previous low GI diet. AS Irish Molly said, the flakes would cook in the same time as the oats I think, but the 'normal' quinoa takes about 15 - 20 mins so much longer.

xxx

sadly I'm not in the uk, so no holland and barretts unfortunately. i moved to Aus from England 4 years ago.
I did end up finding the flakes in the supermarket but at $7.40 (about 4.5pounds - coiincidentally I've only just realised my keyboard doesn't have a pound sign key, how strange is that!) for 500ml I decided to stick to regular porridge at $1 for 2 kilos!!

Personally, I think regular porridge is just as filling. Even the quinoa grains are expensive here in Ireland but I think they are great as a substitute for rice or pasta.

Back