Quorn and mushrooms - a warning!!

I'm pleased to hear that most of you have had no probs with quorn and mushrooms at all, as they are both such good slimming ingredients. I miss them!

Wannabelovely, that's so bad that your brother had to go to hospital with it!! I never went to the doctors, as I had a feeling it was something I was eating, but it did take me 6 months to realise what was causing the problems. Looking back at my food diaries helped.

I had always thought those adverts talking about 'good bacteria' in the yogurts were just a bit of a con, but nowadays I realise bad bacteria can be a real problem. In answer to Delhi, no I wouldn't eat a yogurt after having quorn or mushrooms to ease the symptons. I just won't be eating those foods again ever! But I do include lots of probiotic yog these days, just to keep things working well in the tummy! In fact I get through pots and pots of Tesco Light Choices Natural Yogurt!!

Hope my cautionary tale has been of interest. I'm off to play in the snow now with my little ones!

xx

I don't like the quorn mince, are you okay eating the asda meatfree mince (freezer section)? It's much nicer anyway, and still free. Does it help if you eat yogurts with good bacteria in?

Quorn is a brand name so only those products that are are called Quorn have it in them. The supermarket meat-free products are made from soya products which is why most are not syn-free, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Quorn is a brand name so only those products that are are called Quorn have it in them. The supermarket meat-free products are made from soya products which is why most are not syn-free, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure if I'm okay with meat-free products, or not. I did have some of Asda's meat-free meatballs, then thought I felt a bit funny, but it could be in the mind, cos I was half expecting to feel unwell, if you know what I mean!

To be honest, I've been sticking with good old-fashioned meat and fish lately. You know where you are with that!

xx

Neither can I, but then I can't understand a vegetarian eating a meat substitute either. :D

Well, as a vegetarian of 19 years, living with & married to a meat eater for 14 years, Quorn and other meat substitutes mean we can both eat the same meals, together. There's all kinds of reasons for people choosing to not eat meat, and I know a couple of staunch vegans who still crave meat...

I don't like the quorn mince, are you okay eating the asda meatfree mince (freezer section)? It's much nicer anyway, and still free. Does it help if you eat yogurts with good bacteria in?

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but asda meat free mince frozen is 8 syns per pack

To be honest, I've been sticking with good old-fashioned meat and fish lately. You know where you are with that!

xx

Ooh, that could be the start of an entirely new debate because most people have no idea what goes into their meat and fish :D

Well, as a vegetarian of 19 years, living with & married to a meat eater for 14 years, Quorn and other meat substitutes mean we can both eat the same meals, together. There's all kinds of reasons for people choosing to not eat meat, and I know a couple of staunch vegans who still crave meat...

i eat meat substitutes because i miss the flavour of meat but not the texture. as a child i used to shred chops, chicken and sausages with my fork and pull out the tiny veins and bobbles of fat.

i'm a vegetarian because i think the way animals are treated and farmed is repulsive. i've been veggie for about 18 years and i can't imagine ever eating a dead animal again.

my partner is a meat eater - he even eats things like steak tartare and fois gras when we go on holiday and, yes, sometimes i want to punch him in the face....but it's his choice and he's very supportive and defensive of my vegetarianism.

oh i really am brainless. i knew mushrooms were a fungus but didn't know quorn was[and i should have known as i tried to study food processign for 3 years]

i sometimes use quorn in veg curry . i am not a vegetarian[too greedy and like sausages, ham and burgers and chicken too much]...but thought quorn would be a nice healthy change sometimes in curry

i must keep an eye out for digestive problems after eating quorn of fried mushrooms in future

i should really eat probiotic yoghurts as i finished a second course of antibiotics for an ear infection 15 days ago so probably have very little good bacteria in my system

Sorry but Delhi is right, the Asda meat free mince is now syn free - yippee!

in the 2010 directory it says 8 syns ...website say free!!! wish SW would sort it out!

I havent had problems with quorn or mushrooms-but then i dont eat much of either! However I have a similar problem when i eat muller light yogurts...i used to eat one a day and used to get really bad stomach pains once a day....after a while i realised it happened half an hourish after eating a muller so stopped eating them and the pains have gone!! I would like to know if all yogurt is going to have this effect on me so might have to experiment with a few other free ones!!

I think it is a recent change and the directory may already have been at the publishers. I suppose that's the danger with a book version as it's never going to be completely up-to-date. It would be helpful if SW were to provide a list of recent changes on the website though! In the 'good old days' they used to print a list in the magazine - perhaps we should campaign!

Oops better reply to the original Q! lol. I always feel ill (without giving tmi) and just put it down to my food intolerance (of which I'm none the wiser, no idea what it is I'm intolerant to!!) but maybe it's the Quorn!! OH eats it too and he's always got a dodgy tummy but he thought it was cheese or peppers or something... Oh now I'm going to have to have a good look into this hmmm...xx

I think it is a recent change and the directory may already have been at the publishers. I suppose that's the danger with a book version as it's never going to be completely up-to-date. It would be helpful if SW were to provide a list of recent changes on the website though!

Sorry, all posting at once here! hehe. Thanks, so glad it's free, much cheaper!! and yummy too!! woop!! xx

Oh dear, I've just ordered a load of quorn on my weekly shop. I hope I dont have any problems with it! I love mushrooms too!

I've always had a 'thing' with quorn ..... it does do very weird things to my insides (I won't go into detail but its not nice). x

Back