Quote about calories from atkins nutritionist

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
I thought this was very interesting

"Be sure you are not taking in fewer than 1500 to 1800 calories daily.
When individuals follow very low-calorie diets their basal metabolic rate will slow down to compensate for the low caloric intake. This is the body's survival response to preserve its internal organs and muscle mass. If someone is following the Atkins protocol correctly, he or she should not be taking in fewer than 1,500 to 1,800 calories daily. This energy supply should not cause a drop in the metabolic rate, but rather maintain the rate while using primarily fat (instead of carbohydrate) as a fuel for needed energy"

I have 1500 in mfp as a maximum! I wish there was a setting in mfp to switch off the calories so I didn't have to know and could focus on the carbs!!!

Fully agree with this! If you're counting carbs focus on that and do yourself a favour and forget calories. If you're truly in induction..you're not gonna overeat...you just won't be hungry enough! And you automatically eat lesser amounts of richer foods!

I have to agree with the focus on calories/carbs in the applications available... I was using fitday, but recently switched to the Atkins iPhone app... Works better for me as it has carbs enlarged, calories /fat/ protein are smaller.

*~*TL*~* *~dreaming of long term success~* mum of 4; wife; herbalist; Height: 166cm; Started: 16 Feb 2012; S/C/G: 116kg/109.5kg/65kg

That's interesting, I rarely eat over 1500 cals- what's set on mfp, purely because I'm full by then, wondering how to get my calories up! More fat I suppose, lol

I'm not planning to increase my calories - I eat around 1300-1600 a day, but it does vary (the day I ate a whole bag of pistachio nuts I ate nearly 3000 cals!!!). I do reckon i underestimate the olive oil and butter in use in cooking. But I'm just going to use this info to make sure I'm more relaxed about eating when I'm hungry and not fuss about having used up my calories etc. I might, eventually, wean myself off MFP, or just log the things that have carbs in. But I am a bit of a MFP addict!

Back