Rant...

peachy7

Silver Member
Why oh why can't cyclists (I'm not tarring all with the same brush and may just be in Southampton) use cycle lanes/paths when they're provided instead of the already stupidly busy main roads?! They are there for their safety on roads like this!
It drives me insane when I have to take hubby to work in rush hour on a daily basis to find theres a massive hold up cos of 1 cyclist when the cycle paths are right next to them!?
Sorry rant over!!

My dad is a cyclist and he would not use a cycle path/lane. He uses the road. He doesn't like them, they mean they have to stop at each side road junction and there are pedestrians etc often sharing the paths too.
Just putting a different spin on things - obviously I don't know the road you are referring to, but, the cycle paths where I am cross a few side roads, cross the road to the other side at varying intervals and generally cause an inconvenience to them.

I would use a cycle path, and I make my daughter do the same but I'm just saying that what my dad calls "proper" cyclists, would not!!!

but if they use the road they are still 'supposed' to stop at traffic lights if they're red, yet I observed a fair few today taking their life into their own hands and going straight through them and one on a really busy roundabout!!
The road is the busiest road into the town centre which isn't really wide enough for 2 cars but too wide for just one so everyone uses it as 2 lanes causing even more problems!!

Well that is a fair comment!! They can be fined for running a red light though, just like any car driver. That's just crazy in my book.

I do actually agree with you that if the cycle path is there that it should be used, I was just putting a different spin on it :)

thats cool, its good to know what other people think and whether it p's anyone else off!! i just needed to get it off my chest

Cyclists make me very nervous when I'm driving. They are very unpredictable and do crazy things like overtaking on the wrong side and going through red lights.
I particularly dislike the ones with their shopping on their handlebars swerving from side to side because they are overloaded. Rant, rant, rant!

Totally agree with you - I have no idea why they ignore the cycle lanes which cost loads of money to put in to make their life safer! I see what Jaylou's dad is saying (just!) but unless they can cycle at 30mph, why don't they have the decency to get out of everybody elses way when they can?!!

I remember being in a bus in York turning left after a red light and being undertaken by a cyclist. How he didn't go under the wheels I don't know, but there was a mass intake of breath!

I agree, cyclists are my arch enemies.

On my way in to work I drive along a busy dual carriageway, which has a cycle path of both sides. Very frequently you will see cyclists riding along the road when the path is right beside them!

This road is a major and very busy route into the city, what they are doing is at least inconsiderate and and worst downright bloody dangerous.

Also it is frequent to see them riding 'two abreast' taking up half the road..

And don't even get me started on idiots on motorbikes and mopeds who seem to think that the laws of the road and speed limits don't apply to them!

And here ends my rant! :D

The two abreast riders hack me off as well!

Cyclists have as much right to use the road as any other vehicle, and are allowed to cycle up to two abrest.

Quite often using the cycle lane, especially at junctions, means the cyclists would have to cross more lanes to use the junctions and exits that they require. If you're at the side of the road in a cycle lane, you're also more vulnerable to cars cutting you up as they turn into other roads, or pulling out in front of you from side roads.

I'm not a super keen cyclist or anything, but I always like to look at both sides of a situation. I did used to cycle to and from the station, but the majority of car drivers (in my little tiny town anyway) don't give cyclists enough space or consideration and I had too many near-misses to continue using my bike (and that was only a mile journey along a relatively straight road in the countryside!).

To be honest if cyclists want the right to use the road the same as anyone else then they need to follow the rules of the road the same as all the other road users not to mention pay road tax! The proper ones I have no problem with it's the ones who can't ride fast enough, can't take off from the lights quick enough or the ones who don't pay attention to things around them.

I believe in cyclists using the cycle paths as its safer but why do they think that sneaking up on you when you are walking is a safe thing to do. I wish they would use a bell before they are upon you. I have narrowly missed walking into bikes because they cycle right in the middle of the pavement and have not heard them approaching. Why do they think they rule whichever road or pavement they are on. I also wonder who thinks its a brilliant idea to dress entirely in black on a winters night and cycle on the road with a tiny little red reflector as a light. :mad:I almost ran a cyclist over because of this and he was on a black bike with a black backpack and helmet on. I didn,t see him until the last minute. Apologies for this rant. By the way my husband is a keen mountain biker so I am not prejudiced against bikers. lol

Why oh why can't cyclists (I'm not tarring all with the same brush and may just be in Southampton) use cycle lanes/paths when they're provided instead of the already stupidly busy main roads?! They are there for their safety on roads like this!
It drives me insane when I have to take hubby to work in rush hour on a daily basis to find theres a massive hold up cos of 1 cyclist when the cycle paths are right next to them!?
Sorry rant over!!
Lol - nice rant;)

Why-oh-why-oh-why when on a nice deserted road do they have to travel two-abreast or even more.

Making it a calculated risk to overtake on country lanes. Get into single file I say, or at least have the decency to pay road tax:p

Actually it doesn't bother me any longer. What does bother me is when they observe the rules of the road intil it suits them.

Especially when the traffic is snarled and they are in line then they mount the pavement and take another route.

Makes we want to set fire to them to be fair:D

So, in summary, pay road tax, insurance and have some form of MOT to ensure the bike is roadworthy. Stick to the rules, lane discipline and we'll all be happy.

At least horses and horseriders are allowed on the highway by virtue of them having the rights long before cars were invented:cool:

Back