RANT!!!

*Emsie* said:
As someone who has won the greatest Loser and woman of the year in my group (though for a while not slimmer of the month or very often slimmer of the week) those awards have really spurred me on at times such as this week when I had put on a lb and since christmas am not particularly happy with my losses. To get the greatest loser it gave me a real boost for the efforts I have put in over whats about 18 months now and reminded me it is worth it and how far I have come.

Congratulations! In my post I by no means meant to suggest that she did not deserve this. She's worked damn hard to get where she is and has lost nearly 5 stone. And I understand how motivating it must be to win one, nevermind two or three.

These awards are supposed to me motivating. A pat on the back for those who have done well. But is it really a pat on the back if you win it week after week? Is it so special then? I do not "hate" anyone who wins them. More power to them. But I do feel that if you could only win one, or not win two consecutive weeks or something similar then sw would get to motivate twice as many people. I know the awards are not what it is all about. I'd rarer have a 3lb loss and no award than a 2lb loss and a sticker. But I think very few people could say that it would not give them a warm fuzzy to get it. I just think more people should have the chance for a warm fuzzy

I had a spell of winning it, not every week, but I won it 6 times while I was losing (and then SOTM after I got to target, work that one out!).

It was nice... but... awkward - thats the best way of putting it. While I was losing I was so focussed and so determined! But not terribly confident in myself - and while I wanted to do well, I hated doing well at the expense of others motivation. I could see the occasional look of despair or distress from the odd person, and I did get the occasional comment. I didnt like that aspect of it. At all. Winning it gave me no confidence, just a spotlight I didnt like having shone, and any benefit it did have was diminished by the effect it was having on others.

Now I am at target, and am the only one at group to be so, the spotlight is pretty constant - I am the "living proof" of the plan's success - so to speak. Aided and abetted by the HORRIBLE thrown together at the last minute posterboard of my entry into the Woman of the Year competition - which comes out and sits there during classes as a constant reminder of how I used to look, something I want, now, to try and forget. But I know it isnt put there for that reason, it is put there because it serves as motivation for others, to show that it CAN be done. But it doesnt help ME to see it there. If that makes sense.

I think ultimately, it is something that will help or hinder people in one way or another. Some people will use it as a motivational tool, something to aim for, to keep them on track, as a focus. Others will be demoralised by not winning it, will be jealous of those that do, and it could be more destructive in those people, and thats not good.

But its an inbuilt and integrated part of the whole Image Therapy experience, and whilst there are ways it could be improved, it is nice to give people who are doing well a bit of a boost, and I dont think I would like to see it gone altogether.

Oh dear. Confession time. I have won SOTW 4 times and SOTM in my 2nd month. I'm not at all competitive and don't even think about winning it when I get weighed - i just hope that I have lost! Having said that, I do find it embarrassing when my name gets announced and I have tried to turn down the hamper etc and give it to others but no one else will take it. I actually text my consultant today about it and she said that if it was a problem with others they would bring it up with her for discussion and as a group we would decide how to deal with it as we are all adults.

Last edited:
Whoah! As a "larger lady"of 16 stone when I started, I won SOTW frequently. And why shouldn't I? I follow the plan like everyone else so why shouldn't I have the same chance as everyone else in the meeting? And everyone has the same chance, I probably still would have won it some weeks, on percentages too, not being big headed but I lost better or similarly to people bigger than me some weeks.

I've seen me and other members skipping the basket because it was nice to share.

What I wanted to share was the feeling from that "well done" high, and the wee glow of accomplishment. Yes I got that from my stickers/books/seeing the scales go down but it was still nice as an added extra. But that's all it was, an extra.

Now at the end of the day you should be going for the reflection of the scales/how you feel not for a wee piece of paper and some fruit.

I would hate to feel that whilst I was following plan and losing weight, I would hope to God I hadn't lost any more than anyone else at the meeting for fear of people rolling thier eyes or coming to have a "rant" about me on the interweb just because of some basket/certificate.

And I never sat there in a pure huff either because someone else won, I smiled and clapped and thought "good on you" when they did.

I really don't see the big fuss about this.

I must say nothing like this has ever entered my mind. Live and let live, if u focus on things like this it takes the enjoyment out of group mtgs. I won sotw for a 2.5lb loss in my third week after joining and I was delighted. It's the only time I won it but I often look at the certificate even now for motivation and feel good factor. Find something that is ur own personal motivator and never worry about the basket of fruit, some day ul get the certificate (or ur mum) & until then take notice of all the NSV u both have along the way, bet ul have loads :) :)

I can't understand people getting worked up about SOW. When I was going to meetings I never expected to win it, but did twice - once with 4lbs off, once with 2.5. It was a pleasant surprise but that's all. I would say don't take it so seriously as after all it's just a bit of fun. Chill guys!

I have over ten stone to loose and I stick to plan 100% and have been excersising at least 4x a week. I am so happy to have nearly lost a stone and a half. If you look at my signature most my losses have been 2lb or more.

I have not yet won simmer of the week.

This is because there is another member who has amazing losses and has lost over 3.5 st in even weeks and she has less to loose than me.

Does this bother me? No. To be honest I had not even considered it. She has shown us all how hard she has worked and I think if anyone does have a bigger loss than her on week they will be over the moon.

I'm in this long term for me, I don't need a basket of fruit and a sticker to feel good. I aim to loose 2 lb a week and if I do that I'm ecstatic.

The woman I wad talking about often looks embarrassed and openly said she either her losses were slower.

I'm very large and the weight foes not call off me. If I don't kill myself in strp, aerobics and body combat I dropped to loosing one lb a week. Lois.g weight is tough for everyone. If it was that easy for larger people to loose weight would we all be the size we are.

Also men can loose weight faster. My husband had two st to loose and did it in six weeks and kept being naughty. But he still had to diet and because he eats do much rubbish normally I think he worked much harder than me.

If simmer of the week is that important to you and you need that motivation why not try a mini competition with a few of your friends at group who loose similar to you. Bring in something each week and get your competitive streaks focused there.

Just remember its about our losses not other peoples.

Ok this is getting a little heated now. Some people have been insinuating that I "hate" or "dislike" this man in my group...far from it. I was mearly using him as an example. This thread was for whether people thought it would be fairer to be calculated on %weight loss instead of pure pounds.
From the replies, I can see most people don't use SOTW and SOTM as motivation for their weight loss, but the people that do use it shouldn't be shouted down or penalised for that.

I would just like to reiterate that I in no way have a vendetta against this man in my example...he was purely an EXAMPLE. If he is on this site and voiced his opinion on this thread and said he was embaressed at winning (like some people who have been in similar situations have done) then I would like to see his view on how SOTW/M is calculated.
I'm sorry is this offended anyone in anyway but I was voicing my opinion as I have a right to do as does everyone else...I just feel some people have taken this thread the wrong way.

But if this man is so big, then he has a lot of weight to lose - so he may need the motivation of winning SOTW to spur him on. I also suspect that a lot of people are motivated by competition - they see a big loss and think "next time I'll aim to beat that!"

I understand your irritation, but someone else winning SOTW doesn't take anything away from your own (and your mum's) successes.

Hear hear have to agree with the above post :)

No matter whether we want to lose 10 stone or 10lbs we all deserve equal motivation, SOTW is unfair and doesn't give everybody a fair chance, whether you care to use the motivation or not

I'd slip a family size chocolate bar in the basket...that'll learn him! :p

I'm kidding!

I've got a feeling I could have possibly got SOTW last week with a 6lb loss but didn't stay to IT. Anyway I don't like fruit that much! One week a woman won SOTW and the raffle so ended up with a crate of fruit and veg and a HUGE fruit basket!!! I'd have to give it away!

I can understand the frustration but it's not the biggest loser. We haven't joined to be in competition with one another its to loose weight for ourselves. Slimmer of the week is a lovely prize but it's not the stickers that I'm aiming to have on my book, it's half stone and the stone ones.

I agree ,everyone who looses is a winner and the only competition should be how much WE can lose

This is why I follow SW from home - that way I'm always SotW and SotM!! :D:D It's a nice big psychological pat on the back for me whenever I lose :) xx

I agree!!!! :D

Were it's nice to get awards it's even better to get the weight off and feel healthy!! Just think about how long they will take to get anywere near the weight you were when you started!! I must say though when i started i won allot awards each week and I felt a bit embarrassed about it, :cry: omg were people talking about me like that?? You maybe need to look at the bigger picture!! Although I do see your point on % losses!

OMG That is awful :(
Yes it is awful, but if the guy knew what was being said....then maybe he'd be feeling this way too! x

He might be embarrassed!

Looking in the mirror is a reward once you start seeing your weight loss:) I would hate anyone to feel so unhappy to win sotw and be talked about we are meant to be there for each other :(

Yeah we are meant to support each other, but unfortunately some people dont see it like that!

At my new group, the SOTW this week had lost 2lb. My old C only did it for who stayed to class, this new one does it for EVERYONE who walks through the door then raffles off the fruit x

Back