RD - WK1 result. On to week 2 :-)

Russiandoll

Carpe diem
Thurs 7th July 11:
Starting weight 17st 8lb
OK - so here we go again. Another 'day 1' but this time on Rosemary Conley's Solo diet. Much as I loved Cambridge and lost loads in 2006/7 (10st) I've found I can't revisit those heady sole source days and have spent months - nay years - trying over and over to recreate that 'golden time'. I've tried calorie counting, failed, vowed to get back onto Cambridge, failed, become despondant, tried low carbing, calorie counting, Cambridge 810, failed...
The upshot is that I haven't gained or lost anything for two years. I just go up and down the same 7lb.

Anyway, I'm now on blood pressure pills, have type II diabetes and feel generally lethargic and old. My 50th birthday will hit in 6 months and I really don't want to reach this unwelcome milestone feeling more like 60.

I've analysed what sort of dieter I am. I've tried 'relaxed' and I've tried 'super-structured' and of the two, the structured worked better for me. However, I can't do the severe structure of sole sourcing anymore so have opted for the compromise of meal replacements in meal form. Solo consists of soups and meals in pouches so all portion / calorie / fat controlled. It seems a reasonable compromise. I get the structure I need but will be eating proper food. Only time will tell if it works.

hello and welcome :)

firstly well done for losing 10 stone in recent years..what an achievement :)
You've done it before, so you know you can do it again! I hope you find the ideal plan for you. I relate to feeling old and lethargic, i too have my 50th birthday teasing me in the future! :) I have been losing since feb, so i am hoping that all my aches, and health worries disappear with the blubber :)

when are you thinking of having your first weigh in?

Keep posting, i look forward to chatting with you :)

onwards and downwards :)

Thanks for the welcome Rose. I started this morning so will have my weigh in next Thursday morning. I wish I could attend an RC class (I lost 6st years ago on RC) but there are none close to me.

I regained half of the 10st I lost by the way which is why I'm having to go through all this again. You'd have thought I'd have learned wouldn't you :)

I'd like to get to 12st - I was happy at that weight (even though I was a size 16 - I felt great). So I need to lose 5st 8lb

..and you will :)

I lost over 5 stone years ago, returned to old habits and gained it all back..and then some ;) I remember being 12 stone and being happy too...so i'm aiming for anything around 10 7 -11.7

You'll gets lots of support and advice on here, and we all understand as we are all in the same boat :)

Great to have you back Debbie and good luck with RC. Have a fantastic Day 1 :D

xx

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement everyone :)

End of day 1

It wasn't a difficult task staying on track today. For breakfast I had a sachet of Oats so Simple and a Solo cereal bar (Ginger flavour) at breaktime ... 11am.

By the time I had lunch at 2pm, I was reasonably hungry but not ravenous. Lunch was mixed bean and chorizo soup - very yummy! And also satisfying as it was chunky.

I've just eaten dinner - Chicken Korma with steamed veg. I have to say it was absolutely delicious! Better than any korma I've ever had. The chicken was succulent and there was plenty of it. Scrummy!!

I'm completely satisfied - the thing to overcome now is nibbling 'just because'. Habit is a hard thing to kick. But I'm trying to stay aware and conscious of how I'm feeling - and am determined not to blow it on day one!

Thing is Debs new habits soon build and you will find yourself not looking for 'extras' any more. This sounds like a good plan for you and if you can enjoy the meals, so much the better. That bodes very well for the future as feeling deprived is never good.

An excellent start, good for you! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks ladies - your encouragement means a lot.

Day 2: Fri 8th July
Another good day. Started with my sachet of OSS porridge and an RC Ginger cereal bar at break time again.
For lunch I had chunky vegetable soup poured over some steamed veg - very filling.
I haven't had dinner yet but plan to have bacon and mushroom risotto with steamed veg. I'm also having a couple of glasses of wine ... I plan to make this diet as painless as possible :)

I didn't go to the gym or swimming this week which isn't very good - I'll try harder next week.
Onwards and downwards xx

Well done Debs, sounding organised already! Next week will be even better as you will be fully in the swing. Don't be hard on yourself about the gym/swimming, when you have time you'll do it but don't over pressurise yourself; softly softly will work nicely.

Have a good day.

Day 3: Sat 9th July

Food-wise, things were relatively easy. Breakfast was my usual sachet of OSS porridge, lunch was soup (butternut squash with cumin and chilli) and a small wholemeal roll. Dinner was chicken hotpot, steamed veg and a minimilk for dessert. I also had a couple of glasses of wine.

I was out and about browsing in shops today. It was windy but not cold. I stopped off at a friend's for a coffee and was mortified to find I couldn't stop sweating. I hadn't been exercising or even walking fast and the house wasn't excessively hot. It may be 'my age' or the fact I came in from a windy environment to a still, indoor one but my immediate reaction was to think 'they're going to assume it's my weight ...' and that made me feel more self conscious which made me perspire even more. Someone else who happened to be there said 'hot?' to which I replied yes whilst fanning myself with an envelope. My host opened a window and I felt like a fat, unfit freak and the centre of very unwelcome attention. Even if my weight had little to do with it, I felt as if it did and I'm pretty sure others must assume it is. It seems every negative in my life or every negative event can be attributed to my weight - I so can't wait to ditch that mind-set!

Now look here young Debs, everyone gets like that sometimes and it is just one of those things. You must not worry about it, it maybe any one of the things you mentioned but whatever it was YOU could not help it.

You are not to waste another moment on it, other than to think, yes, when i am thinner, I may still get hot but it will worry me less. You are doing all you can Debs, so don't you worry, it will all be good.

Day 4: Sun 10th July

Food
Breakfast - Sachet of porridge
Lunch - Chorizo and three bean soup with a small wholemeal roll
Dinner - Lamb hotpot with steamed veg, minimilk ice lolly for dessert

My day
Had a lazy day. Went out to buy some big plastic storage containers so I can start my life laundry. My daughter and her fiance (+ 2 cats) moved back in after giving up their 2 bed flat a couple of months ago and to say my house is cluttered is an understatement! It's my mission to get things straight over the next few weeks - I want some space back!
I had to make sure my last meal was before 9pm as I have a fasting blood test tomorrow at 9.05 (diabetes). Fingers crossed for a reasonable result - I stopped taking Metformin in 2006 when I lost a lot of weight and I've been controlling my blood sugars through diet alone since ... I don't really want to go back to medication if I can help it.

Good advice from Barb (as usual :) ) I blame everything and anything on weight, or rather i think that others ARE blaming everything and anything on my weight..and i'm slowly learning that's not true all the time :)

You will be HOT again, but in a difference sense...hot looking and not feeling hot!!!! :)

Have a good evening :)

How did the nurse appointment go Debs? Hope all was ok.

Day 5: Mon 11th July

Food Diary

Breakfast - Oats so Simple porridge sachet. RC Ginger cereal bar at 11am

Lunch - Bowl of RC Pea and Ham soup, small wholemeal roll.

Dinner - RC Chilli and rice with steamed veg, topped with RC cheese. Strawberry minimilk for dessert.

My day
I had a fasting blood test to check my diabetes at 9am so got to school late. It's activities week so no lessons - I just have to help and supervise with PE activities all week.
We were allowed to wear sports gear so I wore my jogging bottoms, T-shirt and trainers but felt awful. Even though I 'know' I'm trying to lose weigh, nobody else does and I just felt like a blimp amongst the lithe PE teachers. Oh why couldn't I have been attached to art or music activities??
I know that if I stick with it, the results will start showing in a month or so but it's still not easy staying patient til then.

Oh well ... I guess the only thing I can do it grit my teeth and carry on :)

Day 6: Tues 12th July

Food Diary

Breakfast - Oats so Simple fudge porridge. 11am RC Ginger cereal bar.

Lunch - Minestrone soup, small wholemeal roll, banana

Dinner - Spicy lentil and veg dahl, steamed veg, minimilk for dessert.

My Day

I had another day helping out with the PE activities at school. I took charge of the curling (using 'stones' with ball bearings on the bottom) and actually had some fun.

It's strange how decades of warped thinking can affect you ... I had an 'extra' today - a banana. And because I ate that I instantly felt fatter and also felt that I won't have lost any weight this week. It was only a banana - not the contents of Asda's cake dept but just because I ate something - anything - I feel guilty. I know I need to change that way of thinking but it's typical of a lot of people who have a bad relationship with food. I need to work on that one!

Day 7: Weds 13th July

Food Diary

Breakfast - Oats so Simple apple and raisin porridge. 11am RC Ginger cereal bar.

Lunch - RC lentil soup, small wholemeal roll, banana

Dinner - RC chicken korma, steamed veg.

My Day

Work as usual in the morning. It's activities week so no lessons for the kids - they get to do fun activities instead. Today I was helping out with the Dodge-ball activity which was quite fun.

In the afternoon I visited Ikea and, to my surprise, I didn't buy anything! I did succumb to a scone and jam though - I'm very annoyed with myself!! Still, what's done is done - no point in beating myself up over it.

Tomorrow morning is weigh in day for me and the end of week one. I have to say it hasn't been too painful although I have had the overwhelming urge to have a good old pig out on unhealthy food once or twice during the week. Luckily I ignored the evil little voices whispering in my ear!

I'll post my result tomorrow

Back