Re-feeding query

liz0703

Silver Member
Hi all,

Just a quick question.

I have been actively seeking lots and lots of info about re-feeding as very nervous. I read on the info that has been posted on the re-feed section that if you have lost more than 5/6 stone you should re-feed for longer than a week.

Anyway, I emailed LT just to clarify how long I should re-feed for, and here is their reply!!

"Please take the information from us and not from the internet. If you do refeeding for more than a week, you are very likely to gain weight. The pharmacy should give you refeeding paperwork. If not please call us on the helpline freephone 0800-413735

There is a maintenance programme that you should consider. If you send a postal address, we can send you free samples."

Now I am very confused!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well obviously if you do the maintenance programme, you are still paying lipotrim for the sachets (different foods from TFR) so they are still making money!

I refeeded by following the refeed sheet, I stayed the same on the first week, I had a small loss the second week, and after that I was on healthy living food. I lost a further 5lb and still maintaining after nearly 6 months.

Good luck hun and bravo and congratulations on your losses - done brilliant.

Hi Liz,
after my gain this week, I certainly won't be giving you advice however I do suggest you read some others' diaries on here and see what information they give you. Mary's above is a good place to start and JanD's to name only 2.
Best of luck.
Doirin

hmmmm what the hell? They told you the longer you refeed the more likely you are to gain??? surely that isnt right!!

How could you really put weight on if you follow the re-feed by the letter??? I think I have decided I will re-feed for 2 wks, see how that goes, I just petrified of putting the (any at all really!) weight back on.

TBH, I could quite happily carry on with TFR for another stone, but a lot of people have said I have lost too much weight and becoming anorexic (at 10st 11???), if they had there way I would be eating now! So sticking to my plan and starting re-feed 2 wks tomorrow OMG!

Hi all,

If you do refeeding for more than a week, you are very likely to gain weight. The pharmacy should give you refeeding paperwork. If not please call us on the helpline freephone 0800-413735
How!?!? I'd reply asking how this would be physically possible as you would still be intaking FAR less calories than you would be burning. There is a possibility of going into starvation mode until you return to 'normal' eating if you did it for too long, but you'd stay the same weight at worse, not GAIN? That (in my mind) would be pysically impossible?
The re-feeding paperwork I got from my pharmacy stated that anyone who has lost 4+ stone should re-feed for at least two weeks (I re-checked!) - so they're contradicting themselves!

TBH, I could quite happily carry on with TFR for another stone, but a lot of people have said I have lost too much weight and becoming anorexic (at 10st 11???), if they had there way I would be eating now! So sticking to my plan and starting re-feed 2 wks tomorrow OMG!

Why would you take any notice of people who think anorexia is a weight .... when it's a serious psychological disorder which .. IMHO if any of us suffered from we wouldn't need to be TFRing!!! xx

My point exactly!!!! Me- anorexic!! Never! Do I look a size zero?? Am I starving myself in an unhealthy way?? Going days and days without nutrients! Next time someone says that to me, I will ask them to look up the definition, then come back to me!! Gets me so mad that I am trying so hard to better myself, the put downs keep on coming!

You can do your own re-feeding. You do not have to purchase more Lipotrim. Obviously in the maintenance programme you have different flavours and mousse, and things you dont get in the actual diet programme. If you have the re-feeding paperwork, i would follow that yourself. If you dont want to do the maintenance programme, you can have a shake/soup morning and lunch, a different meal each night including bread/rice/pasta in small portion with veg/potatoes. Introduce carbs back in slowly, then after that first week, take the lunch shake/soup out and have a healthy lunch, the following week, all 3 meals should be your own, and the weight will stay off. I run a pharmacy lipotrim programme, and the maintenance isn't any better for you than the actual shakes and soup. It's just something to follow the diet to make sure you dont put all your hard work to waste. But the shakes/soup you are having right now, balance those out with a healthy meal at night, then wean yourself off them. :)

That sounds like a very good clear plan, thank you.

Can I clarify, when I start re-feeding, I would have 2 shakes a day for a week, and a healthy meal in the evening- would I introduce carbs after day 3/4? The second week 1 shake and 2 meals, and then after that a healthy balanced diet?
Do I follow the re-feed sheet for the first week, or do this programme you suggested straight away?

Hi Liz

The refeed sheet should say
Day 1 - have 2 shakes and one meal, and the first meal should consist of 4-6 oz chicken/fish and a small salad.....
(consisting of green peppers, cucumbers, salad onions, spinach....cant remember what else, but keep it green)! I had a big thing about toms...they are actually high in carbs....and was told to keep off them till Day 3, but others been told to eat them, PLUS they are on the refeed sheet at Day 1!!! DOH!!!!

Day 2 - Day 7 You only need to have 1 shake a day and I have that as breakfast.
You slowly introduce carbs on Day 3, which is a 6oz I think, potatoes, either baked, or boiled but no butter...you can also have more veg on Day 3.

Day 4 you can introduce fruit...but there is sample menus I think on the refeed sheet.

I did refeed for 2 weeks..had a gain on Wk 1 and a loss on Wk 2.

It amazes me the info you can be given.

Good luck and just make sure you introduced your carbs slowly and in the right order to avoid any gain, but if you do gain it isnt fat, it is just your glycogen stores starting to fill again...so, if you are still being sensible or following refeed from Day 4-7 on Week 2, then it should balance itself out.

Any other questions or worries, ask away!

Hey Liz

As you know im starting re-feed on saturday :) I spoke with the chemist yesterday and he said it was fine for me to be on refeed for longer than a week. In my own opinion I really do think it should be longer than a week, especially if you have a problem with carbs.

Anywho he suggested to me, that If i would like to lose a little more to:

2 shakes/ 1 meal a day for week one (consisting of a meal on day 1-2 as per the refeed sheet)
1 shake/ 2 meals a day for week 2+3 (as per refeed sheet)

I find it impossible to belive that you will gain weight on refeed- if you are having less than 2000 cals a day- its physically impossible.
I do believe though that you do eventually have to up the calories so your metabolism doesnt slow- but 2000 a day and your maintaining. Although health/bmr/meds/age/activity level can alter this.

He said by general rule of thumb that as long as you dont exceed what you burn then you will NEVER gain weight (unless med problem/pregnancy/exercise-muscle)
My chemist said this to my mum and she is still maintaining after 8 weeks (2lb under goal)!! She eats well and balanced too.

The refeed sheet is 2 shakes/ 1meal for day one, then 2 meals/1 shake per day after that.

Its a personal choice as to whether you would like to repeat day 1, but thats what Im doing for a week- ill set up a diary and what my weight is after a week of 2 shakes/1 meal- then you can have a look-see. :)

Just a word of warning- not every woman needs/burns 2000cals a day. My maintenence calories are around 1700- it'll vary if I exercise. If I ate 2000 I'd gain 1lb every 11 days! It's very hit & miss until your find 'your' level- online calculators can help. Then after a while you'll know what you can/can't eat instinctively.

Just a word of warning- not every woman needs/burns 2000cals a day. My maintenence calories are around 1700- it'll vary if I exercise. If I ate 2000 I'd gain 1lb every 11 days! It's very hit & miss until your find 'your' level- online calculators can help. Then after a while you'll know what you can/can't eat instinctively.

Thanks for that Irishmum- I forgot to mention!!

I did the online calculator thingy, bearing in mind my height, weight, age and activity level and it said if I was moderately active I could have 1954 cals a day and if I were to gym it a bit more I could have just over 2100- I guess this is where the fun begins in finding a happy medium!!

I know my mothers' is far less as she has to use crutches!

NOT simple all this maintaining stuff eh?!

Tell me about it! LOL! I've an underactive thyroid, I'm a life-long yo-yo dieter (which hasn't helped my metabolism either!) and I'm a self-confessed lazy arse - so I know I don't fit into the 'normal adult woman' catagory of 2000cals a day!
The only 'exercise' I get at the minute is running round after a 2 & 4yr old! (though I would argue thats as good as a gym workout anyday!:p;) )

The reason some people have a small gain on refeed is not because of the calories - it has to do with refilling glycogen stores and glycogen holding 3x(?) it's weight in water - or something like that .... If you're interested a search on here will bring up the correct, exact explanation. So while it might be impossible to gain fat on that amount of cals - it IS possible to gain a little weight. Being prepared for this possibility is better than it beng a shock and maybe getting you down. xx

Thanks for your interesting posts. I think my mind is on over load with info, and what to do for the best. It is a very worrying time lol, all the hard work, i really dont want to mess it up.

I also spoke to my chemist, and she also said you can do the re-feed for longer than a week, and could not possibly put weight on if I do, and also gave me the refeed sheet that I read on here which said you could continue- which is direct from LT!!! So they will be getting a 'nice' reply back from me!!

Tell me about it! LOL! I've an underactive thyroid, I'm a life-long yo-yo dieter (which hasn't helped my metabolism either!) and I'm a self-confessed lazy arse - so I know I don't fit into the 'normal adult woman' catagory of 2000cals a day!
The only 'exercise' I get at the minute is running round after a 2 & 4yr old! (though I would argue thats as good as a gym workout anyday!:p;) )

Lol I dont know how you all do it- I really dont! I look after my 3 yr old nephew for a day and im absolutely knackered! Dont forget house chores as well and gardening- calorie burners!

Shame the doctor cant give everyone a test 2 check their bmr rate- so we know what we burn typically! :)

I know- mine looked at me like I'd two heads when I mentioned it! Then again...this was the man who freely admitted I knew more about nutrition than he did!

lol... so were expected to be the experts now!

Back