Reaction to Quorn

Mumma K

Gold Member
I tried quorn sausages about 4 weeks ago and had a really funny reaction to them about an hour or so after eating had really bad stomach cramps and sweats felt really ill anyway wasn't to sure if I was just unwell or if it was the Quorn
so yesterday tried the quorn mince and low and behold the same thing i virtually ended up rolling on the floor with the stomach cramps.
I know they are made of yeast and i've never had a problem withother yeast products i can eat marmite by the jar and nothing also don't have any problems with mushrooms
just wondering if anyone else had experienced this ?

I seem to recall this was discussed on the SW section a while ago. I think it was linked to mushrooms but not 100% sure; you may want to do a search & see what was said.

Do you suffer from any allergies ? Quorn has egg in it, it does sound like an allergic reaction ,your symptoms where the same as my son was having ,before we found out he had allergies.

I was wondering today whether Quorn can cause IBS symptoms. I had some quorn last night and I'm suffering dreafully with my IBS today - haven't had an attack like this for ages!!

It sounds like you have an intolerance (rather than an allergy) to one of the ingredients.

A lot of people have varying intolerances to all sort of things, and some people have some sort of reaction to Quorn. Unusual, but not unheard of. Takes people by surprise if it happens, but it's one ingredient they may never have been exposed to before.

Personally I've been a veggie for over 11 years, and don't have a problem with it, but it's not unheard of. It doesn't necessarily make Quorn 'bad' (or any worse a foodstuff than anything else), just perhaps not right for you. :)

Try soya mince or TVP based products instead.

Good luck.

Back