Reading!

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Gosh, when i took up reading.. i was like brilliant, cheap and cheerful.

My ass.. WHS are only surving the recession due to my wages!!!

i'm reading a book a week at the mo, i should make them last longer but i can't!

I read the girl next door by Eliabeth Nobel about 3 weeks ago, and it was so good.
At first i wandered if i'd get into it, but a few pages in i couldnt put it down, the futher into the story you get the more hooked you are..
Its about a building, and within this building of appartments are the occupants, and this book tells the story of each of them, the couple who moved from another country, the wife, wnating a child and is lonley and homesick, the couple with a strained marrige and a husband who wants to secretly sleep with the girl downstairs, who's married and has 2 children and seemingly has the perfect marrige, the old woman who befriends lonley wife and is full of storys and etc, its fantastic. and the ending, was very un -expected. Highly recommended.

Iv just finished 'how to break your own heart' by Maggie Alderson.. about a married couple, Ed & ameila, they fell in love young and built5 up his wine buisness together.. he refuses to have a baby and this strains the marrige, but she loves him. He is set in his ways and thier marrige is very routine, the story unfolds as she makes friends, finds herself as her own person and spreads her wings and discovers a whole new side of life.
also a good read.. ;)

Im currently reading Letters to a love rat, by Niamh Greene, about 3 ladys, one, who was left 2 years ago and has never quite got over it, and has a therapist who suggests she writes him letters that she will not send, to express all her feelings and thoughts, another who just married the bloke who left the other girl two years ago, who has just returned from her honeymoon, only to wake up the following morning with a letter telling her he's left her.. and the third, who is the woman he left his wife for, his work collegue who he has very steamy stationary room sex ;) haha

havn't finished it yet, but promises to be a very scandolous, funny and easy read.

so, whats everyone else reading? anyone who can suggest other books who are along the lines of what i like (clearly, tragic, romantic, saucy books haha )

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi FernXx I like Anna Maxed and Cathy Kelly any girly chick stuff really. I never really was into books but hubby started working nights so to pass the time I read loads. He has stopped working nights and im gutted I dont get to read much now. I have a shop in town near me that you make a small donation and then you take a book and can swap for another you should check if you have one near it would save you some cash!

I'm reading 'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown at the moment, but I also have a couple of Historical novels waiting when I've finished it.

Fern - why don't you join the library, it's free and you can have as many as 15 books out on loan at one time.

I reserve my books online from my library and my DH picks them up for me on his way home from work - Simples....

Continue to enjoy your books. X

My favs are
Anna Maxted- Getting over it
Lisa Jewell- Vince & Joy
Jane Green- Spellbound

and of course all of Amy Tan's books.
Keep reading its good for the brain :D.

Scouzer. X

I love Minneko Iwasake, the real story behind Memoirs of a Giesha, Wicked, the Eragon series and the Twilight series. Why don't you have a look in charity shops? You find some pretty good ones sometimes.

I haven't acutually bought a book for ages. I get most of mine from the local library now, they even do free reservations so I don't have to wait long even for the most popular books. I also list my books for sale on greenmetropolis.com. This is a great site for buying and selling used books, all books fixed price and part of the sale goes to plant trees.

I've kept a list of all the books I've read this year - current total is 43. On my bedside cabinet at the moment are "Resurrection" by C J Sansom and "The Quickening Maze" by Andrew Foulds.

I've just finished book 5 in a series about vampires...I adore vampire type books. They're in the young adult section, but why I don't know...they're kinda rude and nasty at times and it says on the cover 'not suitable for young readers' but are right beside books suitable for what I consider young readers.

Anyway, they're fab. Book 6 is out this week...thank goodness. In the meantime I am reading 'The Devil Wears Prada' which I picked up at the weekend.

Our local library is poo - so I don't often use it. Plus, I prefer to buy books and keep them as I like to read them again at some point. I buy online as you can often get really good deals. Local charity shops are good as well - I picked up a book that was almost new for 50p :)

I'm a little bookworm too and I'd say I get through 1-2 books every ten days depending on the size.

xxxx

P.S We moved into our house a year ago and the boxes still unpacked contain books. We're needing a few bookshelves which we hope to get soon lol x

Just reading 'Wolf Hall' that won the Booker Prize. I also recently read Dan Browns new one which was truly awful (sorry Donnie!) and nowhere near as good as his others. I also read 'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters which was fantastic- a ghost story set in a country house- very menacing and means I still have to put the lights on when I go for a wee in the night.

I use a website called 'Dealpond' which checks all shops to find who has the cheapest offer on any book/dvd, and they include postage so you know exctly what you will pay- I think WHSmith is pretty expensive- almost always Amazon comes out on top as cheapest and it has free delivery on anything over a fiver.......or the library as Donnie says as even if they don't have it they will order it
xxx

Thanks ladies for all the advise, shall check out those websites, unfortunatly my local library is poo too, so not really an option , i check occasionally though!!

almost finished my book, its only been 4 days.. damn it! x

Thanks ladies for all the advise, shall check out those websites, unfortunatly my local library is poo too, so not really an option , i check occasionally though!!

almost finished my book, its only been 4 days.. damn it! x

Try the House of Night books - they're fab! I got them 3 for 2 at Waterstones x

I use the ReadItSwapIt website. Have got a few good swaps off there.
Also I have used the Library and will again but since my eye op in April my reading has slowed down and I am one of those who needs 100% silence to be able to concentrate enough so better just to plow through what I already have lined up to read rather than keep renewing same book at library - I am more into Autobiographies (is that the one where it reads as if the person themselves is talking to you??? Can never remember!). Lined up I have Dear Fatty by Dawn French, At My Mothers Knee & other low joints by Paul O'Grady, Why Do I Say These Things by Jonathon Ross to get me started - LOL

Jill

I have just finished Dawn French, Dear Fatty and really enjoyed it. I have the new Dan Brown book to read although have also read bad reviews but I will read it anyway cos I love his books. I have the latest Jodi Picoult novel too, Harvesting the Heart. She is one of my fave authors by far. I also have The Island and The Return to read as well as a couple of other books I've picked up!
I love reading, always have but don't get much chance these days. I have a book in the loo too, an easy reading autobiography one which I can just read one or two pages of! I think I'll put Alan Titchmarsh in there now Dawn's finished!!

Just reading 'Wolf Hall' that won the Booker Prize.

My Oh bought me this an anniversary present - before it won the Booker, but I haven't red it yet. Is it good?

I'm currently rereading all my Dean Koontz books lol I do love a bit of Dean...but have recently read David Starkey's 'Henry' and 'The Queen's Sorrow' by Suzanna Dunn (Don't bother)

I have just finished Dawn French, Dear Fatty and really enjoyed it.
I love reading, always have but don't get much chance these days. I have a book in the loo too, an easy reading autobiography one which I can just read one or two pages of! I think I'll put Alan Titchmarsh in there now Dawn's finished!!

OMG, are you me? lol

I read Dawn on the loo as well lmao

I've currently got The Prophecy of Death by Michael Jecks (a Knight Templar mystery) but I like christian Jacques egyptian series, and a good historical novel . I want to reserve The White Queen, think it's Georgette heyer. I don't read much during the summer, but as the nights draw in I usually read instead of watching tv. Marriane Keays is good for a giggle, and Katie Fforde is nice easy reding.

unfortunatly my local library is poo too, so not really an option , i check occasionally though!!

All libraries are linked, and if your one doesn't have any of the types of books you want you can order them (price of a stamp if memory serves me right). It doesn't take long and they let you know as soon as it has arrived.

You can use your library ticket at ANY library, and books can be taken out of / returned to any library (not necessarily the same one you borrowed it from).

It really is a cracking service :)

I've not long finished "My sisters keeper", also a film with Cameron Diaz, so sad but very enjoyable. Now reading "Secrets" by freya North (one of my fave authors) love Maggie Alderson as well. I have about 9 books waiting to be read upstairs but at the mo I can't seem to concentrate on reading, hopefully I will be able to soon. Just waiting on a parcel from home with the new Dan Brown book in it, will enjoy reading that one I'm sure.

Back