Ready for a rant?..

laurenmay

Gold Member
Right, before I start ranting about all the confusion and frustration going through my head - PLEASE do not give me a hard time, I don't need that & just need everybody's solid advice and help!

MFP sets me at 1330 calories per day to lose 2lbs a week, that to me sounds fine, I ate 1300 before and lost weight at a steady and good pace..

I tried eating higher, at 20% below my TDEE, and even with 6 stone to lose & having not dieted for ages, guess what? I GAINED 2lbs. I thought any shock to body in the form of decreased calories would lead to weight loss, but obviously not.. so the 20% cut from TDEE just doesn't work for me. And I've read a few other people who say it doesn't work for them either & they gain on it too so at least it's not just me!

Then there's my old way of eating, where I'd eat low six days of the week & then have one high calorie day per week where I'd have treats. I promised myself I wouldn't go back to that way of life, only because last time I ended up having everyday as a high calorie day & couldn't get back into the routine of the six strict days!.. but then I was watching Jodie Marsh's bodybuilder and brawn in the USA documentaries on DMAX the other day, and half way through it shows her having an absolutely massive cheat meal one night of the week.. and the personal trainer on it says 'Jodie's extreme training regime and low calorie intake throughout the week means she must have a cheat meal with a high influx of calories once a week, this shocks the body and kick starts the metabolism, preventing her body from adjusting to the restricted amounts of food.'

So I spoke to a few people I know who train at the gym & they all said they do the same thing with success! They eat very little during the week, mainly protein rich foods such as eggs, egg whites, chicken, fish and veggies.. Then have one cheat meal per week consisting of whatever the hell they fancy. So really what I was doing before was absolutely fine! & if I'd had the willpower at the time to get back into the strict regime after each cheat day then I wouldn't be 6 stone heavier now...

So I was set on doing that again. Until I spoke to my personal trainer at the local gym, who said that its okay to have cheat days but to burn them off, and that he has every Sunday off but ensures he burns off whatever he eats. He uses a fitbit tracker to check how many calories he burns daily & while sleeping, then how many he burns through workouts and how many he eats.

So now I'm confused? He's saying to burn off the cheat day but everyone else doesn't seem too. BUT, he eats extremely high calories everyday of the week, so maybe that's why he needs to burn his cheat day off to prevent having a high calorie surplus? Whereas I'd be eating low the rest of the week, so if I ate 1300 daily and then consumed 3000 on a cheat day, that'd total 10800 over the course of a week & average out to 1542 a day.. so really I wouldn't need to burn that much off, maybe just 200 a day.

Can everyone please give me their advice?!

I know I could follow MFP's 1330 a day and lose weight, but I don't think it'd be long before I give up through feeling deprived of treats!! Or do I just eat 1330 a day & only have treats now and again if I've burned calories or saved calories to allow for it?

God I'm so bloody confused!!!

Hi, How many calories were you eating for 20% under your TDEE? (I don't really understand what that is!)
How long were you doing it before you weighed and had a 2lb gain?
I wouldn't take any notice of what Jodie Marsh was doing, she was training for a competition and from what i remember from her programme she ended up
with mouth rot due to lack of nutrients! It's not really a sustainable lifestyle.
I think you're over thinking things a bit - I don't really know why you'd specifically want a 3000 cals cheat day unless you were going out for a meal which you
know was going to be very rich or you're going to have a massive boozey weekend.

Hi Lauren. I think you're doing too much research and over-thinking things again. You need to give it a bit longer and assess your calorie level. We all know that MFP sets your calories too low in general, that's why I've always ignored it and set my own. Eat at around 1500 for a few weeks and DON'T weigh yourself - that's just asking for trouble, lol. You'll then have a nice surprise when you weigh yourself in a month's time. Also, have you seen your GP about this? If not, I think you should. Have you considered Orlistat? xx

Hi, How many calories were you eating for 20% under your TDEE? (I don't really understand what that is!)
How long were you doing it before you weighed and had a 2lb gain?
I wouldn't take any notice of what Jodie Marsh was doing, she was training for a competition and from what i remember from her programme she ended up
with mouth rot due to lack of nutrients! It's not really a sustainable lifestyle.
I think you're over thinking things a bit - I don't really know why you'd specifically want a 3000 cals cheat day unless you were going out for a meal which you
know was going to be very rich or you're going to have a massive boozey weekend.

I used to eat a cheat day once a week before & it'd be something like a Chinese and then a tub of Ben and Jerrys for dinner so that'd total 3000 calories.. I like sweet things too much & I know people say incorporate a treat each day but if I get the taste of chocolate or sugar then I end up wanting more & more and binge on it!
I just find it tedious sticking to a set calorie intake I guess cause there's never something to look forward to food wise..

Hi Lauren. I think you're doing too much research and over-thinking things again. You need to give it a bit longer and assess your calorie level. We all know that MFP sets your calories too low in general, that's why I've always ignored it and set my own. Eat at around 1500 for a few weeks and DON'T weigh yourself - that's just asking for trouble, lol. You'll then have a nice surprise when you weigh yourself in a month's time. Also, have you seen your GP about this? If not, I think you should. Have you considered Orlistat? xx

Hi Tracey, I have to weigh myself regularly to see how I'm progressing otherwise I just give up altogether. And I think 1500 is too high for me cause I lost weight on 1300 before, and I wanna try and aim for 2-3lbs a week which I know is do-able if I eat at 1300 but start working out & burning more cals too. I saw my GP a few weeks back about my knees and she told me I need to lose weight so I asked what she advised and she said very low calories and build up exercise, her calories for me were 800-1000 cause I'm morbidly obese so the body has plenty of fat stores to burn. But I know personally I can't survive happily on that which is why I've given myself 1300.
In fact I think I need to cut out chocolate for a little while, cause like I said in a previous post I find it hard to eat small amounts and once I've got the taste for it I end up binging on the stuff.
Previously I tried cutting it out altogether and didn't touch chocolate for two weeks, and after the first 3 days the craving & need for it went completely and I didn't even miss it.. And I surpressed sugar wants with options hot chocolates. So think I might try that again x

I used to eat a cheat day once a week before & it'd be something like a Chinese and then a tub of Ben and Jerrys for dinner so that'd total 3000 calories.. I like sweet things too much & I know people say incorporate a treat each day but if I get the taste of chocolate or sugar then I end up wanting more & more and binge on it!
I just find it tedious sticking to a set calorie intake I guess cause there's never something to look forward to food wise..

I understand wanting to enjoy food but maybe you should start to find other things to treat yourself with?
You can still eat "nice" things within a decent calorie allowance so you don't have to wait to the weekend and have a massive blowout.
How long has it been since you got weighed and gained the 2lb?

I understand wanting to enjoy food but maybe you should start to find other things to treat yourself with?
You can still eat "nice" things within a decent calorie allowance so you don't have to wait to the weekend and have a massive blowout.
How long has it been since you got weighed and gained the 2lb?

I tried TDEE - 20% for four days & gained 2lbs.. I KNOW four days isn't long & people will say stick with it and give it longer.. but the thing is - I have 87lbs to lose! And I've been not dieting & eating 4000+ calories daily for months, so realistically any cut in calorie intake should get the weight shifting for me even if it has only been 4 days, but that didn't & it made the weight go up..
But I've read posts on MFP of other people whoe had the same experience and gave up with it & lowered their calorie intake to a more appropriate level.
TDEE - 20% for me is 1961 so it did seem too high to lose weight on..

I understand what you mean in that you should have lost weight if you've halved your calorie in take but if you do drop try and not make it by too much.
Also, give it at least a week before you weigh - get someone to hide your scales if necessary!

Hey Lauren,

If you know 1300 works for you could you not just do that and allocate 200ish a day for treats? Once you get into it your taste buds may change anyway so you may find your cravings for the bad stuff subside anyway. x

Okay.

You have 87lb to lose so what ever you chose you are going to be on it for the long haul. Slow and steady is going to be so.much easier to stick to.

I know your Dr recommended 800 calories, but unless you eat very clean it's going to be hard to get the nutrients you need in such a small amount of food. I know (like me) that you favour quick easy ready meals.
You have a tiring job and a young kiddy unless you eat enough you will end up ill.

Like Tracy has said pick a number (1300-1400) and stick to it. It may take a few weeks for you body to stabilise but you will lose weight on that amount. Whatever you try don't give up or change until at least a month. It took a few weeks until i started to drop the weight.
Don't overthink. Trust the people on here who have done it and succeeded (like Tracy). I'm just hoping I do as well.

Personally I don't plan cheat days, but I do have occasional meals off plan for special occasions (nights out etc ) but do what works for you. I would wait a few weeks before you first one.

Try and find lower calorie treats, and also things that will fill you up and won't trigger insulin spikes and cravings. If I want chocolate late at night I have a seed/grain based bread with choccie Philadelphia. If I have one bar of chocolate I am to likely to binge.

Finally drink lots of water (or dilute squash). I lose much better when I drink lots.

You'll be slim soon. Just be patient.

I understand what you mean in that you should have lost weight if you've halved your calorie in take but if you do drop try and not make it by too much.
Also, give it at least a week before you weigh - get someone to hide your scales if necessary!

Yeah I have to learn patience but its so damn hard! I'm gonna stick to 1300 calories & try and get some exercise in and then aim for 2-3lbs loss per week.. I'm hoping with 87lbs to lose that 2-3lbs a week should be easy for the first few months cause I've got so much weight to shift.

Hey Lauren,

If you know 1300 works for you could you not just do that and allocate 200ish a day for treats? Once you get into it your taste buds may change anyway so you may find your cravings for the bad stuff subside anyway. x

Hi Rachael, don't worry, I haven't forgotten you!
Yeah I think I will. I'm definitely gonna stick to the 1300 number but gonna try & cut actual chocolate bars out for a while, and if I fancy anything sweet then I'll have an options got chocolate or a muller light x

Okay.

You have 87lb to lose so what ever you chose you are going to be on it for the long haul. Slow and steady is going to be so.much easier to stick to.

I know your Dr recommended 800 calories, but unless you eat very clean it's going to be hard to get the nutrients you need in such a small amount of food. I know (like me) that you favour quick easy ready meals.
You have a tiring job and a young kiddy unless you eat enough you will end up ill.

Like Tracy has said pick a number (1300-1400) and stick to it. It may take a few weeks for you body to stabilise but you will lose weight on that amount. Whatever you try don't give up or change until at least a month. It took a few weeks until i started to drop the weight.
Don't overthink. Trust the people on here who have done it and succeeded (like Tracy). I'm just hoping I do as well.

Personally I don't plan cheat days, but I do have occasional meals off plan for special occasions (nights out etc ) but do what works for you. I would wait a few weeks before you first one.

Try and find lower calorie treats, and also things that will fill you up and won't trigger insulin spikes and cravings. If I want chocolate late at night I have a seed/grain based bread with choccie Philadelphia. If I have one bar of chocolate I am to likely to binge.

Finally drink lots of water (or dilute squash). I lose much better when I drink lots.

You'll be slim soon. Just be patient.

Hi Amy, thanks for all your help.

I'm gonna stick to 1300 and see how I get on. That was my magic number before so fingers crossed it will be again.

laurenmay said:
Hi Tracey, I have to weigh myself regularly to see how I'm progressing otherwise I just give up altogether. And I think 1500 is too high for me cause I lost weight on 1300 before, and I wanna try and aim for 2-3lbs a week which I know is do-able if I eat at 1300 but start working out & burning more cals too. I saw my GP a few weeks back about my knees and she told me I need to lose weight so I asked what she advised and she said very low calories and build up exercise, her calories for me were 800-1000 cause I'm morbidly obese so the body has plenty of fat stores to burn. But I know personally I can't survive happily on that which is why I've given myself 1300.
In fact I think I need to cut out chocolate for a little while, cause like I said in a previous post I find it hard to eat small amounts and once I've got the taste for it I end up binging on the stuff.
Previously I tried cutting it out altogether and didn't touch chocolate for two weeks, and after the first 3 days the craving & need for it went completely and I didn't even miss it.. And I surpressed sugar wants with options hot chocolates. So think I might try that again x

Sounds like your GP is seriously uneducated in nutritional matters. ;) It's scary the things they tell you sometimes, isn't it?! xx

Lauren ... If you we're eating 4000 cals a day and you then ate 1900... That's half the amount ... I don't see how on earth you could have gained 2lb of fat ..??? If you started eating more than 4000 then I could understand ... But you ate less ..?? Much less .??!!!
I don't think it was fat ..!!
And judging by your pic on another thread you .. In my opinion... Don't look morbidly obese ...
I'm a nurse and believe me when I say I see morbidly obese people at 25 stone and heavier .. At 15 - 16 stone you're overweight I agree but not morbidly obese ...
X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Lauren ... If you we're eating 4000 cals a day and you then ate 1900... That's half the amount ... I don't see how on earth you could have gained 2lb of fat ..??? If you started eating more than 4000 then I could understand ... But you ate less ..?? Much less .??!!!
I don't think it was fat ..!!
And judging by your pic on another thread you .. In my opinion... Don't look morbidly obese ...
I'm a nurse and believe me when I say I see morbidly obese people at 25 stone and heavier .. At 15 - 16 stone you're overweight I agree but not morbidly obese ...
X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I gained 2lbs and I'm now 15.12 stone, I don't know if it's fat or not but I'm definitely 2lbs up.. and I'm only 5ft 3 and 222lbs, so on the BMI scale I'm morbidly obese and been told so by the GP too... You're probably looking at an old photo? All my photos on here are over a year old when I was 133lbs x

Hey!!

First thing is - muscle always weighs more than fat, so the only possible way for you to eat less and put on weight is if you are exercising (when you said you had a gain even tho eating healthy). When you start to build up muscle, you dont lose weight (thats why people tell you not to weigh) muscle always weighs more, so say one week you lose 2lbs thro healthy eating, you could build up 4lbs of muscle thro the exercise you do, hense you think you've put on weight. But eventually once you have built up muscle mass, you will then see a loss but you need to put up with a gain first. So if your gona exercise/gym, dont weigh yourself, use another method like trying on old clothes or something - at least for a few weeks til you've built the muscle properly up.

Even though having a treat is ok, I duno if I could trust myself, if I allowed myself a day off, I think i'd go on a massive binge, esp if i've been eating healthy all week, i'd probs go over 5000 cals or something. What I did when I was losing weight was i would allow myself whatever, say one day my OH says, do you fancy a delivery, i'd say yes, and whatever meal I had I would figure out the cals, and add it on to my daily cals, i'd always be over for that day, but the next day, I would try & cut out the amount of cals i'd used or do a bit more exercising. Thats kinda what the guy at the gym means, yes its ok for you to have a treat day, but if you've not had ur usual exercise then dont. Say for example you have an injury and cant go to the gym for 2 weeks, dont have any treat days til you start gym again, does that make sense?

xxxxxxx

Yes, but you could still lose weight through eating, and gain weight through muscle. So it weighs more on the scales. As in, your body weighs more.

Lauren sweetheart, you have to calm down and realise you are in this for life. You sound like you are panicking. I know how you feel because I spent about 25 years or more doing the same thing : //
You won't get get results over night, same as you didn't get fat over night, though I will agree weight certainly goes on quicker than it comes off : (
Scales can be so upsetting and really affect your mindset. If you had got on those scales and seen a drop of 2lb you would of probably felt mm ok.. It could of been more but it will do for now... But a 2lb gain after a few days seems like disaster. Its is not a true indication of how you are progressing, I know my weight can go up and down by 4lb daily and I'm close to target, and I can get quite upset by it, even if my clothes still fit the same and I don't look any different, it can affect my mood for the day and I feel like saying sod it.. Might as well have a cheat!! But to be honest a midweek gain can often be caused by change in diet/ food types, salty food, time of month fluid retention, needing the loo etc. so try to hide those scales and only weigh at most once a week same time, same scales. Then you will get a clearer idea if you are following the right healthy eating plan for you and the right amount of calories.
Try not to get too worked up over the Maths and science of how many calories you are burning. Quite simply if you are moving more and eating less than you were, and you remain consistent you will see the results that you deserve.
Don't chop and change, give your body a chance to adapt. just remember to enjoy your food, as this is a lifestyle change.
Best of luck, you have lots of support on here so don't worry alone xx hugs xx

Back