Ready Steady Cook!

Wegle

Hi Guys

I don't know about everyone else, but at this time of the month my cupboards are pretty bare and I'm struggling to find things to make for dinner.

I thought it could be fun to do a Ready, Steady Cook style thread where we can post 5 items that we have in our cupboards/fridge and other members can try and come up with some recepie ideas. Obviously you may have to use some store cupboard essentials as well as the ingredients provided but it should just be stuff that would be expected to be in everyone's cupboard (e.g stock/spices)

So I'll start the ball rolling, I'm on the green plan and my five items are:

Brown rice
Extra light philly
Frozen diced onions
Spaghetti Hoops
Quorn Sausages

You'll need to state which plan you are on so that members can try and create suitable meals.

Hope you guys can help me come up with something! :D

Do we have to include all 5 items?
If not my idea would be:
Boil the rice, fry the onions. Once boiled, add the rice into the frying pan, chop the quorn sausages and add these in then, once cooked, mix in the 2 tbsb of philly and (hopefully) enjoy.
It's a simple one, I know, but I'm a simple yet effective kinda gal :D:D:D:D:D

Do we have to include all 5 items?
If not my idea would be:
Boil the rice, fry the onions. Once boiled, add the rice into the frying pan, chop the quorn sausages and add these in then, once cooked, mix in the 2 tbsb of philly and (hopefully) enjoy.
It's a simple one, I know, but I'm a simple yet effective kinda gal :D:D:D:D:D

Thanks dreamslim. I don't think you should have to use all of them, but as many as you can. I did think the spaghetti hoops might be a bit difficult! :)

I'm liking the idea you've put so might have a go later on.

Anyone else with any other ideas or anyone wanting to post some ingredients?

OH - I like this game! I'm lookign for an extra easy meal please

My 5 items are
Rice
Tin of Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Frozen Peppers
Chicken breasts

My 5 items are
Rice
Tin of Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Frozen Peppers
Chicken breasts

This screams chicken con carne to me!

Cook the chicken (diced), peppers and the mushrooms off in a bit of frylight with some chilli powder or crushed chillies if you have them, add the tin of toms with a little bit of veg stock and a teaspoon of sweetner and reduce down. Meanwhile cook rice. Once the rice is cooked top it with the chilli chicken sauce and enjoy! :eek:

Oh I like this idea.

I'd do a kind of a risotto - even though it's not risotto rice.

Frylight the chopped chicken and peppers, with any herbs/spices you happen to have, & then add the rice. When it's coated, gradually add liquid: this could be stock if you've got some, or wine (!) or lemon juice, or even start off with the juice from the tomatoes if you're prepared to have a bright red risotto!
Keep adding liquid (it can be just water if you've already got plenty of flavour, but stock would be better) until the rice is cooked through - adding sliced mushrooms near the end as well.
You could chop the tinned tomatoes in, or leave them for another day.

I can't even remember what I've got in my cupboards, so my request is going to have to be tomorrow. But I do like this idea.

Wow - those are both new ideas for me to try - seeing as i put down 5 of my staple foods that has been a great help! Thanks both.

kingleds said:

My 5 items are
Rice
Tin of Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Frozen Peppers
Chicken breasts

I would do a jambalaya .
Cut chicken breast into chunks and fry off til brown , remove . Then fry off peppers with the mushrooms (sliced ) add the tomatoes and put chicken back in. Add 1 pint chicken stock (some chilli flakes and Cajun spice, salt and pepper , a bayleaf and crushed garlic. Bring to boil & cook for 15 mins. Add 7oz rice cover tightly and cook for 15 mins or until fluid absorbed.
Remove from heat and stand for 5 mins

I would add more veg if you have it

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

great idea Wegle, but the tinned spaghetti is a bit of a tough one!

Kingleds - I would make a chinese, cut up and marinate your chicken breast in soy, ginger, garlic, chilli and stir fry with the peppers and mushrooms - make egg fried rice to go with
and leave the tomatoes for another day....

Wegle said:
Hi Guys

I don't know about everyone else, but at this time of the month my cupboards are pretty bare and I'm struggling to find things to make for dinner.

I thought it could be fun to do a Ready, Steady Cook style thread where we can post 5 items that we have in our cupboards/fridge and other members can try and come up with some recepie ideas. Obviously you may have to use some store cupboard essentials as well as the ingredients provided but it should just be stuff that would be expected to be in everyone's cupboard (e.g stock/spices)

So I'll start the ball rolling, I'm on the green plan and my five items are:

Brown rice
Extra light philly
Frozen diced onions
Spaghetti Hoops
Quorn Sausages

You'll need to state which plan you are on so that members can try and create suitable meals.

Hope you guys can help me come up with something! :D

This is a fab idea!!

I got stuck with yours though hun. If the rice had been White rice then I would have made a sausage and onion omelette with philli dolloped on top and grilled served with spag hoops. Then I would have made rice pudding !! Nom nom

Kx

Was doing some meal planning, and will have:

extra lean beef mince
onions
potatoes
peas
tomatoes

and am looking for an extra easy meal - I think its because I could do 10 different meals I can't decide!

hazysummer said:

extra lean beef mince
onions
potatoes
peas
tomatoes

and am looking for an extra easy meal - I think its because I could do 10 different meals I can't decide!

Burgers, Chips and peas?

Kx

hazysummer said:

extra lean beef mince
onions
potatoes
peas
tomatoes

How about a keema curry? All you need extra is some curry powder & beef stock cube.

Back