Ready to give up!

Jillian89

I have been working out nearly everyday (sometimes twice a day) for approximately 2 months and sticking pretty well to my calorie counting - I'm currently using livestrong my plate to count my calories and am eating around 1200 (no more than 1400) per day.

A few weeks ago I had a loss of 2lbs but the following week I had put it back on and was back to my starting weight! :(

My stats are:

Height: 5ft 10
Current Weight: 154lbs
Goal Weight: 140lbs

Any advice or support would be brilliant! I am feeling quite down and losing motivation to keep going!

Hi there,
Are you eating your exercise cals back? It can really make a difference to your losses.
I'm five ten and my goal weight was 146 which I reached last year( June). I also stopped smoking the same week and took up body pump twice a week along with the 4 cardio classes I do. My weight has settled at around 152 and it seems to be the weight my body likes, and I may well have put on muscle from the pump.
Try eating some of your exercise cals back for a week then maybe you'll see the scales move again?
Just for the record, I'd look emaciated at 140!!
You must have a slighter build than me.( I'm a comfortable size 12) :)

No I have been trying not to, I thought that I would see better weight loss if I tried to stick to the 1200cals food intake and then exercised on top of that but will definitely try to eat some of them back to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip!

I haven't actually ever been below about 150 (that I can remember) and so I am aiming for 140 but will reassess once I get to about 145, if I feel like I will look too thin any lower then I'll absolutely stop there, at the minute it's just a rough guide. My shape is quite awkward, I'm a 10 on top but a 14 on the bottom - complete pear carrying all my weight on my thighs, hips and bum!

Well imagine the calories you burn if you're working out twice a day, and deduct them from the 1200 you're eating. You're using more energy and your body is in starvation mode so will hang onto all it's resources. Lots of people eat some if not all of the calories burned during exercise after hitting a plateau and see the scales shift again.
Try upping your cals for a week and see what happens.
Are you on My Fitness Pal?
:)

I hadn't really thought it of it like that, I was more conscious of the idea that the exercise would be wasted if you just ate it all back. But yes will definitely try this and let you know how it goes!

No I've been using my plate on livestrong, I hadn't even heard of my fitness pal until I came on here - would you recommend it?

I've been using MFP for the past 2 weeks and I'd recommend it. As others have said on here - sounds like you've gone too low with your cals. I totally know how you feel though! I've managed to gain 1 pound after two weeks of exercise and healthy eating, and like you, I'm close to my goal weight. Makes you wonder what the hell weight we'd be if we ate a normal amount of calories and didn't exercise as much - we'd be the size of houses! Ha!

Back