Realistic goal?? Can this be done?

itsGCbaby

Silver Member
Hey guys, hope this is in the right place, but I couldn't really find anywhere else I thought it should be!!

Okay, so I'm getting married on October 13th, and I have my heart set on getting to a size 14 by then!
I've been doing Slimming world for 6 weeks now and I've lost 1 and a half stone (21lbs) altogether, but I don't really know if I've gone down a dress size or not cause I can't get into town atm to try anything on cause I've been so skint. However, all my clothes were REALLY skin tight on me when I first started SW 6 weeks ago, to the point where I was bulging out of them and most of my tops and jeans didn't fit me comfortably! And my work tee shirt was ridiculously tight.
Now, my coat is actually loose on me. I wouldn't say its really baggy yet, but it sure is getting there. My work trousers practically fall down, and my top is definately a lot looser. Same with all my other tee shirts. And my jeans are looser on the legs etc.
I would say I've probably dropped a dress size, maybe a little more.

All the clothes I am wearing are about a size 22 right now, and they are getting to the point where they look silly cause they are too big! (Why I couldn't have just wrote that in the first place instead of rambling on.. I don't know... *rolls eyes*)

So, you can see all my statistics etc on the side, I'm 5'8" and atm I weight 21st 11.5lbs, and I'm wanting to get down to a size 14 for my wedding in October.

That gives me 6 months and a couple of weeks to drop 4 dress sizes.

Is this possible? Am I aiming too high? Or, if I put in 100% would I be able to acheive it??

I guess I'm just looking to hear how long it takes some of you guys to drop the dress sizes, especially if you've been doing it a long time or have dropped a lot of weight in a short space of time or whatever.

I don't really know.

Maybe I'm just looking for encouragement!! haha.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and any help/advice or any of your own experiences would be great :)

Katy xxx

Well done on the weight loss so far & on the wedding.

So, have you tried any wedding dresses on yet? They always come up small for 1 thing ( mine was a size 24 & I was a size 20 in normal clothes) so are you asking if it's possible to get into a size 14 wedding dress, or a size 14 in general? Honestly, a size 14 wedding dress is more like a 10/12.

In weight terms, you're looking at about 1 stone equalling 1 dress size ( ish) so it would make sense that you think you've gone down a dress size. I'm a little bit shorter than you & 13st. I get into size 14 now in a lot of tops, but not trousers - that would probably need another stone & a half I reckon.

So, the question is, do you think you can loose 8/9 stone in 6 months? I wish I could say, absolutely yes. But I can't. It seems a tough old ask to me.

Also bear in mind you need to order a wedding dress about 4/5 months in advance usually.

Above all - try not to put even more pressure on yourself!

Good luck x

^^^^^ Exactly what the fine lady above said!!

My dress was a size 14 and I was a 10-12 when I got married.

Just make sure you get one which can be taken in as not all of them can - mine could not be altered so I had to fit into it, don't put that sort of pressure on yourself hun.

As I always say - don't worry about facts and figures and numbers, if you stick to plan 100% then you are doing as much as you can do and you'll lose as much as your body will allow. You can't do any more than that.

Thanks guys! Although I'm not having a proper wedding dress just a normal one, I just want to feel comfortable in it lol :)

I think I could do it if I put my mind to it, esp since the dress is a bit stretchy and I'll probably be wearing some sort of corset under it!

I'd be chuffed even to get down to a size 16, as I'm taller I'd be happy with that, and I'm doing loads of exercise for my waist in particular.

I've lost about 8 inches on my waist so far, about 5 on my hips, and thats without exercise. I have another 20 to lose on my waist to fit into this particular dress in a size 14 so if I keep up this pace I worked out I could JUST do 2 weeks before the wedding. I'm hoping the exercise will speed up my inch loss a bit.

Sorry for rambling guys. Just really want this! Lol!! xxxx

I think the fact that you are so focussed on this means you are absolutely in the right head space to do it !
Just be careful you dont pressure yourself too much - Stick to the plan and just make sure that you are 100% happy that eating and your exercise plan can be maintained over the next 6 months and I am sure you will look amazing !

Set up a food and exercise diary on here and Im sure everyone will be on hereto support you on your journey :)

Much love x

Well done on what you have achieved so far, you must be feeling really pleased with yourself!

I want to echo what the previous posters have said, to have such a big goal in mind, whilst it focuses you, might be putting too much pressure on yourself. How will you feel if you don't reach it? Have you ordered a dress yet? They take a few months to arrive after you've ordered so what would you do about sizing?

To give you an idea about what your weight loss might do, I am 5'9 and started at just over 21st (as you can see by my stats) and a size 26. I've been doing SW for 6 months and have lost a little over 5stone and am now getting into some size 18 clothes, but I'm still in 20s in a lot of stuff.

Whatever size you get down do, you'll feel amazing on your wedding day as you'll know that you put in a lot of effort to get there. Plus, wedding dresses generally have amazing corsetry and pull you in to a fantastic shape. I wish I could wear a corset every day!

Good luck.
X

Thanks guys, like I say it's not a wedding dress its just a normal dress and it's only £35 quid. I was going to order it in the size 14 and then if a month before i cant get into it, i was gonna get the 16 and save the 14 for when I do finally get there. With it being a normal dress that i can wear with or without the petticoat I can just save it for special occasiona etc.

If i don't get to a 14, as long as I've tried my hardest I'll not be really dissapointed with myself because I know I couldn't have done anynore! But if I slip up majorly i think i'll be annoyed at myself cause I know I could have done better.

Like I said before, I can't ever remember getting into a size 16 so that would be amazing for me too :) xxx

itsGCbaby said:
Thanks guys, like I say it's not a wedding dress its just a normal dress and it's only £35 quid. I was going to order it in the size 14 and then if a month before i cant get into it, i was gonna get the 16 and save the 14 for when I do finally get there. With it being a normal dress that i can wear with or without the petticoat I can just save it for special occasiona etc.

If i don't get to a 14, as long as I've tried my hardest I'll not be really dissapointed with myself because I know I couldn't have done anynore! But if I slip up majorly i think i'll be annoyed at myself cause I know I could have done better.

Like I said before, I can't ever remember getting into a size 16 so that would be amazing for me too :) xxx

id order size 16 hun u can get it taken in if too big. if u exercise though ul loose a lot of inchs concentrate for in inchs than scales i just got married n did a lit if body pump classes my dress was a 12 n my usual clothes size 10-12 i used ta be 9stone5 n size 8/10 im5ft 5 but since my daughter n quittin smokin harder ti loise 5 n half i put on but i weighed around 10 ston 11 on weddin day no looked pretty slim however i exercise more now than what i used to so it does help i got 2 stone to loose as im still determined however im a 10-12 now so i mite onky need to llise a stone with me exercisin as well i mite look too thin at size 8-10 goid look message me uf u want support x

I am in the same situation! My wedding is in August. I'm a 18-20 at the moment. I have found my perfect dress (it's NOT a wedding dress) and I want to buy it now in case it's gone closer to the time. I was aiming for a 16, but my weightloss has really started to speed up, so I'm wondering if a 14 might be possible. I don't think it would be easy to take my dress in if I lose too much.

So it's a question of risking it being the wrong size, or risking it not being available anymore...

Personally I would order a 16. You could always get it altered. What you dont want is to be squeezed into the 14 so it doesnt look nice.

PLUS if you do get down to a 14 you could always shop for something else - maybe a style you wouldnt even consider now?

Am sending loads of +++++++vibes your way - best of luck - stick at it. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic day in a 14 or 16

I have a bedroom full of clothes I have bought and never quite managed to diet into! I am now firmly decided on wear whatever size regardless of the label!! I would order the bigger of the two sizes and then it can always be taken in.

How about trying on clothes in this shop to work out if their sizes are big or small. We all know a size 14 in one shop can be a 12 or 16 in another!! That will also give you a better idea what to aim for.

id order size 16 hun u can get it taken in if too big. if u exercise though ul loose a lot of inchs concentrate for in inchs than scales i just got married n did a lit if body pump classes my dress was a 12 n my usual clothes size 10-12 i used ta be 9stone5 n size 8/10 im5ft 5 but since my daughter n quittin smokin harder ti loise 5 n half i put on but i weighed around 10 ston 11 on weddin day no looked pretty slim however i exercise more now than what i used to so it does help i got 2 stone to loose as im still determined however im a 10-12 now so i mite onky need to llise a stone with me exercisin as well i mite look too thin at size 8-10 goid look message me uf u want support x

Thankyou hun! I think I'm definately going to order the 16 when I get payed. I never thought of having it altered, lol!! And I am definately focussing on the inches rather than the lbs!

I am in the same situation! My wedding is in August. I'm a 18-20 at the moment. I have found my perfect dress (it's NOT a wedding dress) and I want to buy it now in case it's gone closer to the time. I was aiming for a 16, but my weightloss has really started to speed up, so I'm wondering if a 14 might be possible. I don't think it would be easy to take my dress in if I lose too much.

So it's a question of risking it being the wrong size, or risking it not being available anymore...

It's such a hard choice, but I think Ive decided on the bigger size. I think it's a more realistic goal for me personally, but it might be different for you, who knows? I guess it's a thing only time can tell :( Good luck! xx

Personally I would order a 16. You could always get it altered. What you dont want is to be squeezed into the 14 so it doesnt look nice.

PLUS if you do get down to a 14 you could always shop for something else - maybe a style you wouldnt even consider now?

Am sending loads of +++++++vibes your way - best of luck - stick at it. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic day in a 14 or 16

Thanks petal. I am gonna go for the 16 I think. As long as I feel comfortable in what I'm wearing I've decided that whatever size it says I will have a fab day :) After all I'm marrying my best friend :)

I have a bedroom full of clothes I have bought and never quite managed to diet into! I am now firmly decided on wear whatever size regardless of the label!! I would order the bigger of the two sizes and then it can always be taken in.

How about trying on clothes in this shop to work out if their sizes are big or small. We all know a size 14 in one shop can be a 12 or 16 in another!! That will also give you a better idea what to aim for.

It's not in a shop I'm ordering it online so unfortunately I cant go and try it on :( I have decided to order the 16 though :)

Thanks all for your help :) xxxxxxx

Clothes sizes/our body sizes are so varied it's amazing.

I'm 5'10". started out at a size 26 weighing 21 stone 12lbs. Now a size 16 weighing 14 stone 11lbs.

Glad to see you have decided to go with the 16 with a view to getting it altered.

Back