Really really disappointed with weight gain...

Maria2206

Silver Member
I have been following WW for almost a month now. I have been going to the gym for 30 mins cardio work for 3-5 days a week, doing 90 minute cycle rides at the weekend and apart from week one, I have been consistently GAINING WEIGHT.

I know I could be putting on a bit of muscle but really?? I started at 12st 2 and dropped to 11.11 (yay) but since then I have gained 1lb a week (boo!) and am now 11.13!

I am 44 years old and have been using up between 27 and 29 points a day (I was recently told the minimum points was now 26). I snack on a lot of fruit and was wondering if this was an issue, despite it supposedly having a 0 points value.

Has anyone else been through this and how did you get the weight loss going again?

I am trying not to concentrate on the scales alone and don't want to lose focus but it is getting difficult. Any help would be appreciated!

I ahve the same problem. I am also same age and weight, within 1 or 2. I ahve now cut out weeklies altogether, and if this doesn't work, will reduce points to a point where i do start to lose! I obviously just need fewer calories than some others

Personally, I don't think it's musle gain because gaining muscle is actually very hard unless you have a special diet combined with weight training.
Fruit contains a lot of sugar, I'm not sure how much you're having every day but I'd keep it limited to 2 or 3 pieces, and try not to eat too many bananas as they can also cause weight gain and also melons have a high GI, I advise you yo eat low GI food instead.
Here's a list The GI Diet - List of low GI foods
Also, it could be hormones related, if there is an imbalance you can hold on to weight or even gain.

Also, your muscles retain water after exercise so you could try not exercising the day before weigh in. If you are sticking to the diet it has to come off, so stick with it! Have you measured yourself to see if you are losing inches?

Maria2206 said:
I have been following WW for almost a month now. I have been going to the gym for 30 mins cardio work for 3-5 days a week, doing 90 minute cycle rides at the weekend and apart from week one, I have been consistently GAINING WEIGHT.

I know I could be putting on a bit of muscle but really?? I started at 12st 2 and dropped to 11.11 (yay) but since then I have gained 1lb a week (boo!) and am now 11.13!

I am 44 years old and have been using up between 27 and 29 points a day (I was recently told the minimum points was now 26). I snack on a lot of fruit and was wondering if this was an issue, despite it supposedly having a 0 points value.

Has anyone else been through this and how did you get the weight loss going again?

I am trying not to concentrate on the scales alone and don't want to lose focus but it is getting difficult. Any help would be appreciated!

I feel your pain :-(. Have been following SW for past few weeks and purposely not overeating. Ive also been doing spinning 3 times per week and kettle bells and squash without losing any weight.....I'm 43 and 13st 10 and am at my wits end. So here I am back at WW to see if this makes a difference. I've also (just outta curiosity) started tracking my calories and and am coming in at around 1500 per day (not including all the exercise) so there most definitely is a calorie deficit. Fingers crossed

Hiya, sorry to hear that ww is going so smoothly for you! I hope you get a good loss soon. Maybe just watch your fruit, our leader always say remember fruit has a pp value of 0 it is not a free food. So in that I believe you should watch the quantity of this you eat, and as said above limit banana's.

From personal experience too I've found with exercise I need to eat more than my pp's. I've always eaten all 29 and all 49 each week and had good losses. I'm at target now and was still losing on 33 dailies and all weeklies, I'm trying simply filling at the minute. I've had a loss this week but I'm sure it'll level out.....anyway sorry about the ramble but just a thought that you should up your pp by 1 a day and see how you go. xxxxx

are you eating your weeklies?

definately try to limit fruit and see if things improve, i have a max of 3 pieces a day otherwise it can cause havoc with my weightloss.

Thanks everyone for your really great advice. Incidentally I weighed myself again this morning and yes, you've guessed it, another pound has appeared from nowhere. Doh!

Although I have been within my points all week my action plan for the forthcoming week is:

Replace my lunchtime sandwich (brown bread)with something else in case the bread is part of the problem;
Reduce my fruit intake (eliminate the daily banana completely) and replace a fruit snack with carrots or something equally as exciting;
Take a trip to the Doctors to discuss hormonal issues and also have my thyroid function checked. I do have a slightly underactive thyroid but I have had it for years and it wasn't bad enough previously to blame any weight gain on it! However, it may be a little worse;
I am also really interested in the principles of the low GI foods so thanks for that link - I will have a look over the weekend.

I do feel so much better for doing the exercise and I have signed up for a 75k variable terrain bike race (only recently bought a bike so I am a real novice - what an idiot!) so I'm hoping the exercise will really pay off this year having neglected my poor body for some time now.

Again everyone, many thanks for your comments and help and good luck with your own mission. Keep up the positive mental attitude and you simply can't fail!

X

Very wierd as I started off at a similar weight to you. Is there any chance you could post a food diary?

Things I do:
- Use all my daily points
- Use all my weekly pp
- I was on 26 points, I have changed this to 29pp on the condition I point absolutely everything and I won't go a point over!
- Unless I do a supreme amount of hardcore exercise, I don't use my exercise points for food. If I am very hungry after a work out, I'll have a protein shake
- WATER! - at least 2 litres a day
- Vitamins tablets - every day
- I have mainly cut out white starchy carbs such as pasta, chips, bread etc. I don't particularly enjoy wholemeal bread so i may have some 50/50 or go for a seaded batch instead.
- At least 20 points of my daily allowance is on real food not junk. I have porridge for brekkie (4pp), fruit snack (0pp) 8-10pp lunch 12pp tea.
- I'll have 3-5 low sugar non starchy veg for free per day. Everything else I point.

It's good that you are going to get your hormones checked. I have to have mine checked next month, I'm hoping that as my weight comes down my hormone levels will be more under control but we'll see.

I'm glad to hear you are not giving up!! As I said previously, if you could post a food diary, at least then we may be able to identify things that may be causing your weight to increase. As another poster also said as well, have you taken body measurements?

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress! Keep on at it, eventually you will get there :)

Last edited:
Back