Reasons!

I decided to go to slimming world after a family holiday last year. I was in the changing rooms after swimming and my three year old asked me "mummy why are you always so fat!" He's three so it wasn't nasty but the truth!

I've always kidded myself that I was OK that I looked OK bit like anorexia in reverse! I'm realising that I'm not OK being this big.

Also my mom died at 58 from heart disease, I'm thirty this year and I am not prepared for this to be half way through my life.

I feel so happy and empowered that I'm in control and I am changing things.

I will get there, I don't know what thin feels or looks like but I'm going to find out.

All my life i was always either normal weight or underweight i was an extremely fussy eater since a baby. I would not eat food if it touched, no sauces, no fizzy stuff, nothing! I basically only liked vegetables, plain pasta, and rice. This was until i got to my teenage years. I had always been extremely active and never thought about weight or trying to lose it!

Then when i was 16 i moved to london and started my office job doing webdesign etc. I was sat down all day and had moved in with my boyfriend. The first half year or so was fine. But then as we went around his parents house more.... it got harder and harder with my eating habits and i felt pressured into eating to please his family. While doing this i discovered a whole world of foods i had never known about! I didnt even try mayo till i was 19!!!

Then around 17 my mum and sister moved to Mexico. I was sad as i wanted to be with them, and by this point me and my now ex were having alot of troubles. I got depressed but didnt tell anyone. Together with eating and not exercising the weight came on!!! I didnt notice i was in denial. Then my mum came over to visit and the horror on her face she was like WOW What has happened to you!! i was so upset i thought no i need to change. Soon after broke up with my bf and went to my dads house for a few months. I didnt try to lose weight i just was happy again, starting walking again and eating proper meals and the weight started to fall off. By the time i moved to mexico a few months later i had lost about 65% of the weight. This stayed of for the following years i was in mexico! So i was very happy. Although always wanted to get back to my ideal weight of 125.

Then i decided out of the blue to go back to england and visit my dad. I ended up staying for nearly a year and got a job in the fish and chip shop... big difference from graphics and webdesign, but i just needed some quick easy money with no travel costs. Needless to saying working in the fish and chip shop i was allowed free food for lunch and dinner and take home any unsold food from that day... result eating fish and chips nearly everyday for a year!!!!

I had gained anout 2 to 2.5 stone back in that year! I was not impressed. Moved back to mexico and here i am again to get down to my ideal weight of 125!!

I know i will do it and keep it off. Eating healthy is not a problem for me as its lived 90% of my life. Now i just have to be careful with the new foods i learned to love :)

Wow what a long story hahaha :) i apologize about that hehehe

For me, I got to target with SW of 150lbs 5 years ago when I started the week after I had my little boy, it took me six months to lose the 4st I needed to after being a size 16-18 all my adult life I was finally in a 10-12. Then I battled to stay there for the next couple of years but my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer and I emotionally ate to compensate, I lost my mum in April last year and piled on loads of weight over the summer, when at xmas time I realised I couldn't get into my size 14's anymore (in fact I was kidding myself I was still in a 14 anyway) I knew I had to do something, esp when everytime I see my older sister she makes me feel even more huge as she has always been model slim.

So I made the decision after xmas to start again, no matter how much emotional eating I do, I can't bring my beloved mum back, we have a holiday booked for the end of May and I want to be under 12st by to feel good in a bikini again, that means I need to lose another 20lbs at least by then, but I know I can do it, I will do it!

I want to go clothes shopping with my daughter again (she's 22). The last time we went it was because I had to get something to wear for the Xmas do. I was so dispondent and didn't want to clothes shop as I knew nothing would fit :( She found a really nice skirt in M&S which fitted - just, it was a size 20.

Now I can't wear it anymore because it slips down.....yay!!

So, I want to go with her and choose clothes for the colour and the style, not because it's the only thing that I can get in to!!

2 reasons really, firstly when i saw the holiday photos, me in a two piece, not a pretty site,:eek: and the other wanting to buy clothes i like not because they come in my size, i found i was looking at the hanger not the clothing!

Well i have always been 'big' really. I even remember my uncle taking the michael out of my huge bottom - think i was about 10 then! lol But my 'norm' was size 16-18 in school. Joined slimming world when i was in sixth form and lost just under 2 stone and got down to size 14-16. I was made up and naive!- thought i didnt have to diet no more. Went to uni- piled on 4 stones in 3 years!!! and the weight has kept on piling up until i hit my all time biggest at size 22! Went on holiday last year and could just about get my ass in the seat on the areoplane- felt so embarrased.. I looked around and there were other big ladies on the plane and i think we all felt the same:(.

As if that wasn't enough to encourage me to STOP and join SW I went along to a posh works do for xmas- sat on the table with my boss and he took pictures of me and my best work pal. Then he printed them out the next week and gave them to us - as a good will jesture- which would have been lovely but i was totally disgusted of myself! So straight after xmas i went along to class and ive lost my first stone- it has made a massive difference to my face and now im working on the rest!

WOW- very good therapy this! GREAT THREAD WELL DONE!

I have always battled with my weight, and been on numerous diets. at my smallest i have been a size 12, currently I am a size 30 (not good). However my Dad, who was also really big passed away, but before he did i watched as it took about 6-7 nurses to turn him and move him. seeing that really hit home...I simply don't want to be like that.

This I feel is my last chance to really do something about it, so I am going to SW and have joined you guys and I am going to make it this time

It's interesting to read people's experiences of shopping, and how disappointing it is that a lot of highstreet shops don't sell our size. Personally I'm trying not to buy clothes at the moment as I'm hoping to drop a few sizes and then go and treat myself. But one good thing I've always liked about shops like Evans is that most slim people never set foot through the door so have no idea what they sell, so it's always very nice when someone admires your clothes because they've not seen them in the regular shops.

Even when I'll be slim (because I WILL lose this weight) I'm still going to shop there for accessories because it's nice to have something a little bit different from everyone else!

Personally I'm trying not to buy clothes at the moment as I'm hoping to drop a few sizes and then go and treat myself. But one good thing I've always liked about shops like Evans is that most slim people never set foot through the door so have no idea what they sell, so it's always very nice when someone admires your clothes because they've not seen them in the regular shops.

Even when I'll be slim (because I WILL lose this weight) I'm still going to shop there for accessories because it's nice to have something a little bit different from everyone else!

I used to love Evans but i think the quailty of the clothes is shocking! Buttons fall off, hems fray very quickly and t-shirts are very often thin and see through. But the boots and shoes are just lush! ha! I WILL be buying shoes from Evans forever and ever! :8855:

When I had to buy size 16 clothes - that was my turning point. I didnt want to buy size 16 jeans so I joined SW! Also loads of shops I love to shop in like H&M, Zara, Oasis, Warehouse were not worth going in anymore because they don't do bigger sizes (apart from H&M which sometimes has big sizes). I gradually put on about 3 stone in the last 4 years which is terrible and it's since I got an office job with a canteen in the building!

I am exactly the same. When I left uni in 2004 I weighed 10.5 stone and was a modest size 12. When I hit 13.5 stones and had trouble fitting into any of my clothes I decided enough was enough!!

This is the 2nd time I have started down the weight loss path, but I am getting married next year so MUST stick to it this time!!

For me, it was when i had my uni graduation. I always thought I was a similar size to my friends but when I seen the photos I was completely shocked. It just wasnt me! I felt physically sick by the state I had let my body go to. I lost 2 1/2 stone on lighterlife and started feeling better about myself, now I've joined slimming world to help me look like the person I want to be and to give me a more knowledgeable attitude when it comes to food!

after suffering with depression and hating myself i decided 2009 is going to be my year, something just clicked and all the bad stuff is behind me and im feeling so good already..

I got fed up with pretending to diet on my own and my bp was high so had to increase my bp med to 10mg a day (at 34) i should not be on meds. I have crohns (anything else i would need to be put down lol) and could not go through a day without pain or the runs or usually both. My gym was closing and it did not work for me either so i bit the bullet and came back to SW as i did it 11 years ago and it worked but i stopped when i was diagnosed as having crohns.

Been on sw since 20 nov and tbh my tummy is so much more under control do not need much pain meds, and my bp has gone down so in another stone i will ask to be off meds to give it a try. Loving it
Sorry for the really long waffling post

Mine is not wanting to let my weight dictate what I do in my life anymore. I am in my mid 40's and should be out enjoying my life and dating but my weight holds me back. I dont want to suddenly be 50 and it all have passed me by. I am determined that 2009 will be the year I get my life back on track :)

Mine was the fact that I'd put on about 2st at uni, & i no longer felt attractive even though my boyfriend says i'm not fat every time i say i am, however he does get annoyed at my self consciousness. plus i have 2 huge space saver bags of clothes that no longer fit in my wardrobe

There were so many reasons why I should lose weight it just seemed pointless not to join SW.
1) I have PCOS and asthma so my health would improve so much.
2) I actually love clothes but have lived in greys, blacks and baggys for so long I'm getting bored of it! I've just turned 31 and I can't wait to turn 32 and finally wear all the clothes I've always wanted to wear!
AND 3) I actually feel like I should be an average sized person! Some women look gorgeous with all the curves etc but its just not me!

And I just want to say well done to all of you for making the right choice! It isn't an easy choice to make and we all know its not just about the love of food!! I've used my fat as a barrier to keep people away and I think its fantastic that there is so much support on this site from people in the same position!
KEEP GOING EVERYONE!! 2009 IS OUR YEAR!!!

Ooo I just thought of another reason. I'm not sure if it is true or just my paranoia, but last year I applied for quite a few jobs and always felt my size made a bad impression. I wouldn't go as far to say I was openly discriminated against because I was big, I just think my confidence wasn't at it's best and often felt I would have stood a better chance if I had been slimmer. I think sometimes people don't treat you like a real person when you're large (and they aren't), perhaps because they see it as an inability to manage your health so therefore an inability to manage your work... but as I say, that could be paranoia...

Ooo I just thought of another reason. I'm not sure if it is true or just my paranoia, but last year I applied for quite a few jobs and always felt my size made a bad impression. I wouldn't go as far to say I was openly discriminated against because I was big, I just think my confidence wasn't at it's best and often felt I would have stood a better chance if I had been slimmer. I think sometimes people don't treat you like a real person when you're large (and they aren't), perhaps because they see it as an inability to manage your health so therefore an inability to manage your work... but as I say, that could be paranoia...

Weirdly i always feel i dont look smart cause i am big

I think that a lot of that is the confidence thing. We know we are overweight and assume everyone is judging us for it therefore we don't come across very confident. I know that most people notice a big difference in my confidence from when I was at my biggest. Even now, if I have a day when I am feeling particularly fat I tend to go into myself a little more

Back