Recipe ingredient question....KFC Chicken

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by Lonestitcher, 23 February 2010 Social URL.

1. Lonestitcher

Lonestitcher Silver Member

Firstly, sorry to the Mods if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't decide which would be the right one, because it isn't a recipe.......

I'm planning on making the KFC style chicken for my taster night. I was going to try to make it two days ago (at my mums) but then had a crisis of confidence.....

The recipe calls for Mixed Spice and my mum said she only had the mixed spice she uses for making biscuits/cakes etc. I asked her 'Well isn't that it then?' and she started talking about a mixed spice that was savoury.

Have tried looking at Tescos and can only find the 'sweet' mixed spice mix. So, if any of you have made the KFC chicken recipe.....what is in YOUR mixed spice??!? I just don't want to risk the 'sweet' mixed spice, it all go wrong and give my mum the chance to say 'I told you it was the wrong thing!...'

Thanks very much for any help!!!!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. eternity

eternity Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(42.61%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    SW
    I've not made it yet but I will do and would use the 'sweet' mixed spice as you call it.
    I'm sure that's the one that's in the recipe and isn't only for use in sweet dishes.
    The recipe doesn't say 5-spice, which your Mum may be thinking of, or Allspice.

4. Wendyuk

Wendyuk Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.84%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I didn't buy mixed spice for the recipe I just made my own with 1/2tsp of this and that, that I had in the cupboard. If you want to leave it out I doubt it will make a huge difference.

5. Mrs V

Mrs V Loves Life!

Start Weight:
    21st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    9st2lb(42.52%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I made it last night and yes, its the mixed spice that you find in the cake section (unless in the spice aisle).
    I was going to post after I made it yesterday, its worth it and sooo delicious!

6. Wendyuk

Wendyuk Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.84%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Duh sorry ignore me it was the mixed herbs I made myself not the mixed spice :rolleyes:

7. bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Full Member

I still haven't tried this recipe ..... does it really taste like KFC?? Or is it one of those that you need a really good imagination for? x

8. robsterswife

robsterswife Tummy Mummy

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(23.12%)
    It is lovely ,does taste like KFC,I did'nt use mixed spice I just randomnly chucked stuff in till it tasted right,barbecue flavouring was good with it.

9. SLACK ALICE

SLACK ALICE Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st13lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4lb(21.51%)
    Diet:
    SLIMMING WORLD
    errrr..... been looking for the recipe ..... where is it ?

10. bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Full Member

11. Mrs V

Mrs V Loves Life!

Start Weight:
    21st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    9st2lb(42.52%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I used garlic granules instead of the crushed garlic and I didnt use the egg.
    I used a pastry brush to rub bovril over the drumsticks after I had removed the skin and then rolled in the breadcrumb mixture - I added all the spices together when I made the breadcrumbs - less mess and hastle...I also didnt boil the drumsticks before hand to save time.
    I also used Hovis Nimble white bread instead of the brown as this is still 2 slices as a HEB, but then 2.5 syns a slice. It works out to be less than 0.5 syns a drumstick.
    It is delcious! I found it tastier fresh and it remained crispy!

12. Wendyuk

Wendyuk Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.84%)
    Diet:
    SW
    It doesn't have the 'oilyness' of KFC or of course the skin, but it's as close as you're going to get. I honestly think you should try it, it's not like 'diet food' at all! xx

13. KookieDoh

KookieDoh Ugly duckling going Swan.

Start Weight:
    17st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st0lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I'm attempting a KFC style meal this friday night. If all goes well, I shall post the recipe on the forum!

14. julie19

julie19 Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimmingworld
    I made this again last night and instead of mixed spice I used paprika & hot chilli powder - everytime I make it I try with a different flavouring, the cajun was nice

15. MichelinMummy

MichelinMummy Full Member

Hope someone can help!

I plan on making this for dinner tonight but don't have any bovril (or even marmite!)

Does anyone know if I can make this without it? Is it a vital ingredient?

Thanks slimmers :)

16. MadameLaMinx

MadameLaMinx Gold Member

It is chicken bovril you need for the really authentic flavour, although I have heard others say they have done it by crumbling oxo cubes in with the egg. Chicken Bovril can be a pain to find although bigger Tescos and Sainsburys stock it.

17. MichelinMummy

MichelinMummy Full Member

That is fantastic! Thank you so much MLM :)

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. interested92

interested92 Silver Member

mixed spice is mixed spice. there's no different kinds. it is what it is lol.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.