Recipes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lebanese Lentil Soup

I made this tonight at it tastes just like what I eat at the lebanese restaurant near work. It is seriously seriously good and great for the winter!

Lebanese-Style Red Lentil Soup - Allrecipes

My alterations:

1) I used onion, carrot, garlic and celeriac (I had one lying around) and sauteed this. When it softened I blended it and added to the cooked lentils. I did NOT blend the soup at the end as I wanted some texture from lentils. (note: when cooking lentils for the first 20 mins keep an eye on it as I kept having to add more water to it and stir frequently to stop it from sticking and burning)

2) I used about 1/8 c lemon juice (I made half the recipe) - it's better to add less and then add more when you serve if you think you need it.

3) I added 1/4 tsp lemon pepper and slightly more cumin as I love cumin.

4) I served it with a sprinkling of paprika and shredded fresh mint which really adds to the flavour.

5) I used chicken bovril for stock and Frylight instead of oil.

Sarah -The vege sausage rolls sound delicious. Silly question can you eat them cold? They would be an ideal lunch for work.
Irene

Yes you can eat them cold :D

Chicken Chilli Soup. Free on Red

This soup is lovely! As you can see, I am trying to post some red day recipes as I know that a lot of people struggle on a red day. This is ideal to take to work in a flask or in a tubberware box to be re-heated if you have a microwave.

• 800g (1 3/4 lb) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets - diced
  • 2 green peppers, diced
  • 2 red peppers, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
  • 400g (14 oz) passata
  • 600ml (1 pint) water
  • 1 dessertspoon chilli powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Heat some frylight in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chicken, peppers and onion until chicken is brown and peppers are just tender. Stir in tomatoes, passata and water. Season with chilli powder, parsley, garlic, cayenne and cumin. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.

This can be frozen and makes 18 servings!! Also, you can half the recipe to make less.

Hi SpaceAngel
Thannks for the reply - another idea for my lunchbox - need to be able to eat something at my desk (work on reception) as I now got for a walk instead of using the staff room.
Irene

This soup is lovely! As you can see, I am trying to post some red day recipes as I know that a lot of people struggle on a red day. This is ideal to take to work in a flask or in a tubberware box to be re-heated if you have a microwave.

• 800g (1 3/4 lb) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets - diced
  • 2 green peppers, diced
  • 2 red peppers, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
  • 400g (14 oz) passata
  • 600ml (1 pint) water
  • 1 dessertspoon chilli powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Heat some frylight in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chicken, peppers and onion until chicken is brown and peppers are just tender. Stir in tomatoes, passata and water. Season with chilli powder, parsley, garlic, cayenne and cumin. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.

This can be frozen and makes 18 servings!! Also, you can half the recipe to make less.
Just the thing for these cold days, will definetly give this ago. Thanks Spaceangel you are an Angel! xxx

Your welcome and thank you! I have started a recipe thread for red day recipes. I find it strange that people say the are always hungry on red? I find I am always starving on green. Guess it's just an individual thing.

On a green day i used to feel slightly hungrier sooner after food than i do on red days, as on red days i think i eat more vegetables which is always good than i did on green days but lately i have made sure i have more veggies on both days. xxx

Tuna Fishcakes - Free (if using tuna as a B) on a green day

* 1 big bag smash (or real pots)
* 113g tuna in brine (1 HExB)
* Handful of sweetcorn
* 4 finely chopped spring onions
* 1 egg

Make the smash and add the sweetcorn and spring onion.
Give it a good stir round then add the tuna. Add an egg to help bind the mixture.
Fry very slowly (in frylight) so they go all nice and crispy.
I'm going to have these with a green salad and coleslaw (2.5 syns).

You can also add a little chilli powder to give it a kick too.

Also - I like them as above, but you can coat them in breadcrumbs (1B) if you prefer.

xxx

Tuna Fishcakes - Free (if using tuna as a B) on a green day

* 1 big bag smash (or real pots)
* 113g tuna in brine (1 HExB)
* Handful of sweetcorn
* 4 finely chopped spring onions
* 1 egg

Make the smash and add the sweetcorn and spring onion.
Give it a good stir round then add the tuna. Add an egg to help bind the mixture.
Fry very slowly (in frylight) so they go all nice and crispy.
I'm going to have these with a green salad and coleslaw (2.5 syns).

You can also add a little chilli powder to give it a kick too.

Also - I like them as above, but you can coat them in breadcrumbs (1B) if you prefer.

xxx
How about using couscous to coat them, not using hex or syns, i use tango tomato one to coat potato croquettes and its lovely. xxx

How about using couscous to coat them, not using hex or syns, i use tango tomato one to coat potato croquettes and its lovely. xxx

How do you do the croquets - sound delicious !!!!!!!:)

Use mash potato (i use Cream of the Crop frozen mash with spring onions from Heron which is free on green) cook in microwave mix and let cool, roll into croquette shapes then dip into beaten egg and roll into couscous, first time i used raw couscous but it came out a bit hard on the teeth, the next time i cooked the couscous left to cool before i rolled the potato mix into it, i used Ainsleys tangy tomato one and it was really nice. Next time i am going to use the spicy sensations one. All free on green days. xxx Loobylou

Use mash potato (i use Cream of the Crop frozen mash with spring onions from Heron which is free on green) cook in microwave mix and let cool, roll into croquette shapes then dip into beaten egg and roll into couscous, first time i used raw couscous but it came out a bit hard on the teeth, the next time i cooked the couscous left to cool before i rolled the potato mix into it, i used Ainsleys tangy tomato one and it was really nice. Next time i am going to use the spicy sensations one. All free on green days. xxx Loobylou

Thanks for that will give it a try - sounds really lovely. Ta V Much!!!:D:D:D:D

Oooh, looby, sounds lush!
I had thought of using cous cous for 'breadcrumbs' as well, but didn't fancy eating raw, hard pasta....nevr occured to me to cook it first.
You're a gem ♦

I had thought of using cous cous for 'breadcrumbs' as well, but didn't fancy eating raw, hard pasta....nevr occured to me to cook it first.
You're a gem ♦
Thats what wer'e all here for to pass on tips. Thanks xxx Loobylou

hi mojo,

You're a gem ♦

hi mojo, i recognised your name from vamps sw forum, do you know whats happened to it, can find it anywhere ? :wave_cry:

Couscous Pudding

Couscous Pudding[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
transp.gif
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
transp.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
255g/9 oz couscous, uncooked

454ml/16 fl oz skimmed milk
1 cinnamon stick
3 level tbsp artificial sweetener
397g/14 oz very low fat natural fromage frais​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INSTRUCTIONS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Put the couscous, milk and cinnamon in a saucepan. Whisk together well, then slowly bring to the boil, stirring frequently. Do not let it scorch.

2. Turn down the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and cooked.
3. Add the sweetener, mixing well. Remove from the heat and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Fold in the fromage frais and serve immediately.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]INFORMATION[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]1 Syn on Green choice

7 Syns on Original choice
Serves 8

Nigella's White Minestrone Soup

Here is the recipe I said I'd post but thought I'd put it here for everyone. It is very good on a cold green day!

Serves: approx 6
Syns: either 2 per serving or 1/3 of a HEX A or B

(I usually halve the recipe and it still makes a big pot)

• 3 large onions, thinly sliced
  • 5 carrots, diced
  • 2 sticks celery, chopped fairly small
  • 300g potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 courgettes, diced
  • 100g French beans, cut into 1cm lengths
  • 225g Savoy cabbage, shredded
  • 1½ litres stock made with chicken Bovril (or use Vecon)
  • rind of a finished piece of parmesan cheese (tip - I always save mine from the wedge and freeze them for this recipe!)
  • 400g tin cannellini beans
  • 150g small tubular pasta, such as ditalini
  • 56g parmesan, grated freshly
Get a big pot and spray with Frylight. Add sliced onion and cook until the onion is softened but not browned. Add the chopped carrot and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Do the same with the celery, potatoes, courgettes and French beans, cooking each one for a few minutes, stirring a few times. Then add the shredded cabbage and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring now and then.

Add the stock. Put in the end bit of cheese if you’ve got one, give a good stir and taste to see if any salt is needed. (The cheese rind will give a small saline kick of its own, and remember if you’re using stock cubes that they can be very salty.)

Cover the pan, and cook at a gentle boil for 2-2½ hours (if halving the recipe you will probably only need about 45mins-1hr), stirring occasionally. The soup should be thick, so you have to cook it for long enough to lose any wateriness, but it has to have enough liquid in it at this stage for the pasta to absorb while it’s cooking. If the soup is too thick when you’ve finished cooking it but before you put in the pasta then add some water.

Now remove the lid, add the white beans and cook for 5 minutes, then turn up the heat slightly and put the pasta in. It should cook in about 15 minutes. When it’s ready, take out the parmesan rind, grate in the fresh parmesan and give the pan a good stir.

I like this sprinkled with a few dried crushed chillies.

Some brilliant recipes guys, cant wait to try some of them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back