Recipies taken from About.com that im going to try!!

sona1980

Gold Member
This a low fat take on a classic English dish. Shepherd's Pie was traditonally made with leftover meat--usually lamb or beef. This is a recipe that can be made ahead and frozen for later use. I often prepare it one day and use it the next. If you want to reduce the fat content further, use only 3/4 pound of beef and add an extra cup of vegetables--more peas or some sweet corn.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 tbsp canola oil
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 2 large carrots, chopped
* 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
* 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 2 tbsp no-salt-added tomato paste
* 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
* 1 cup fat-free, reduced sodium beef broth
* 1 cup frozen peas
* For the Topping:
* 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1 1/2-inch pieces
* 1/2 cup fat-free milk
* 1 tbsp light butter

Preparation:
In a large pot, heat canola oil on medium-low heat. Saute onions and carrots until softened. Turn up heat to medium-high and add beef; cook until no longer pink. Add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, herbs and broth. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add peas, then simmer 5 minutes more.

Tip: If sauce seems too watery for your liking, combine 1 tsp of cornstarch into 1/8 cup of water and stir into beef mixture.

While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain water. Add milk and light butter. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Season if you like.

Pour sauce into an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish and allow to cool slightly. Top with potato. Optional: sprinkle with 1/3 cup reduced-fat cheese.

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 6.

Per Serving (without cheese): Calories 322, Calories from Fat 67, Total Fat 7.6g (Sat 2.8g), Cholesterol 49mg, Sodium 260mg, Carbohydrate 41.2g, Fiber 5.7g, Protein 22.5g

….
This low fat Spaghetti Bolognese is rich and satisfying, and easy to make.
Ingredients:

* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
* 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
* 1 cup of pre-sliced cremini mushrooms
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
* 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1/4 cup fat free milk
* 3/4 pound wholewheat spaghetti or linguine

Preparation:
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add garlic, onions and carrots; stir until onions are softened. Crumble in beef and cook until meat is browned. Add mushrooms and oregano, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Pour in tomatoes and add Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 25 minutes. Pour in milk, stir well and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile, boil pasta according to instructions on package.

Serves 4.

Per Serving: Calories 315, Calories from Fat 67, Total Fat 7.4g (sat 2.6g), Cholesterol 52mg, Sodium 206mg, Carbohydrate 36.4g, Fiber 7.1g, Protein 25.7g

…………………..

This a is a great way to use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. These creamy enchiladas are quick and easy to make. It's comfort food with a fraction of the fat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:

* 4 corn tortillas
* 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (skinless, white meat)
* 1/2 cup black beans
* 1/2 cup sweet corn
* 1 cup medium or hot salsa
* 1 cup plain low fat yogurt
* 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
* 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Jack cheese

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Warm tortillas according to instructions on package.

Combine shredded chicken with black beans and sweet corn. Mix salsa, yogurt and sour cream and spoon half the salsa mixture into the chicken, beans and corn. Blend well.

Divide chicken mixture among the tortillas. Carefully roll tortillas and place them seam down in the baking dish. Spoon remaining salsa mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Serves 4.

Per Serving: Calories 368, Calories from Fat 78, Total Fat 8.6g (sat 5g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 883mg, Carbohydrate 39.7g, Fiber 3.7g, Protein 32.8g

these look great .. im interested to know what the amounts of fat per 100g are not just per serving .. as thats important too xxx

I know! i was kinda hoping no one would notice!! lolz thats the only nutritin info they had so i got no where to check.. it wont be within the 5/100g rule for sure but i dont think it will be THAT bad as allthe ingredients seem low fat or can be replaced with lower fat stuff!

Im gona make smaller portions though as im the only one eating them!

Allt he lean meat for instance will actually be replaced with quorn mince! i gotta have the chicken though coz i love chicken!!

Back