Recommed good books

catmonkey

Silver Member
Hi all. I used to read a few years back but for some reason stopped. I want to get back into it but wondered if anyone could recommend anything.

What are you reading at the moment?

I find true stories the most interesting like a boy called it.

Hi,

I would highly recommend anything by Jodi Picoult, I've read Change of Heart and Salem Falls, both of these were excellent and really hard to put down. Just started another of her books last night, 19 Minutes and I'm really enjoying it so far.

I don't think I can recommend anything as I hated 'A boy called It' it evoked too many memories!

Try lovereading.com and look up books you have enjoyed, there's a like for like button so you get authors/stories like the one you've enjoyed!

A Boy Called It was really hard going at times, but I read the entire series. I understand WHY he ended up with a sort of self-help manual out of it, and I applaud him entirely for being able to recover from the level of abuse that he suffered and rebuilding his life so successfully, but I cant help but feel a bit uncomfortable that he kind of...exploits, for want of a better word, his experiences as a career.

My current favourite authors are Lesley Pearse, Sheila O'Flanagan, Jodi Picoult (although the more I read of hers, the more formulaic they seem to become, even with the more extreme subject matter) and Dorothy Koomson. They are quite different authors in their style and subject matter but all very gifted at their craft.

I am an avid reader and always have a book on the go. I read every day.

The most recent have been
Marylin's Daughter by John Rechy. Highly recommended. I can not tell you how much I enjoyed it.

Jumping to Conclusions by Christina Jones. Another good one.

Masterclass by Morris West.

Memoirs of a Unfit Mother by Anne Robinson. I read it a while ago but is worth recommending. It was fascinating to see " behind the scenes " of her life and "meet" her totally outrageous mother.

and at present I am reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

MLM, Gill.....do you really enjoy Shelia O'Flanagan ??? She is as friend of ours. Her sister had BC and was a member of my site and through her we met Shelia, she has a house here. One of my fond memories is a champagne breakfast by her pool one Sunday morning. She is a very nice and talented person and several of her books have a Spanish influence.

If you know you enjoyed a particular book, it's worth going on Amazon, looking that up, and then seeing what it comes up with under people who bought this also liked... or something like that (can't remember the exact wording).

Why not join a reading group - gets you reading things you might not have even considered before.

Thanks guys some great ideas. I'm going to look at some tomorrow to see what I fancy then will try and order some online x

I just read Catalin Moran 'How to be a Woman', it is a personal choice but is about feminism plus antedotes which are so hilarious that you can relate to them. It was a book I could not put down. Also 'A Rabbit called God' by Sarah Winman and Also Frankie Boyle 'My S**t Life so Far' are all good reads that I have enjoyed. I have also read A boy called It series years ago mind, but it is very tragic and I got very emotional reading it especially as I have experienced similar events that have happened to me in my past.

I recently read a couple of Chris Evans books/biogs on holiday. Hardly literary masterpieces, but what an amazing life and fortune he has spent "living the dream".

His Ferrari collection andhow he completed it is amzing. I wish I had a mate who could lend me the odd million to add to the millions I already bidded for a car in auction!

I also wouldn't mind buying Lionel Ritchie's house either!

How many of us like our local pub so much that we buy it? (more than once!)

Rock and roll!

I admit to loving chick lit! Pure escapism!
Cathy Kelly, Katie Fforde, Marian Keyes,

Also love Rebecca Shaw and Elvi Rhodes for gentle stories,
Homely sleuth stories by Veronica Heley, Patricia Shaw MC Beaton and others I can't think of right now.

Love classics by Anthony Trollope, Bronte, Hardy ( Jude the Obscure my absolute fave).

Then there's Five people you meet in heaven can't remember the author
The Shack

Among others too many to mention!

MLM, Gill.....do you really enjoy Shelia O'Flanagan ??? She is as friend of ours. Her sister had BC and was a member of my site and through her we met Shelia, she has a house here. One of my fond memories is a champagne breakfast by her pool one Sunday morning. She is a very nice and talented person and several of her books have a Spanish influence.

Yes, I really do!!!! She is on my list of "books that never let you down and therefore I buy new to keep" authors. How lovely that you know her!! (Albeit via difficult circumstances!)

A Boy Called It was really hard going at times, but I read the entire series. I understand WHY he ended up with a sort of self-help manual out of it, and I applaud him entirely for being able to recover from the level of abuse that he suffered and rebuilding his life so successfully, but I cant help but feel a bit uncomfortable that he kind of...exploits, for want of a better word, his experiences as a career.

My current favourite authors are Lesley Pearse, Sheila O'Flanagan, Jodi Picoult (although the more I read of hers, the more formulaic they seem to become, even with the more extreme subject matter) and Dorothy Koomson. They are quite different authors in their style and subject matter but all very gifted at their craft.

I swear that you are like the little person inside of my head, you say exactly what I think but can't put into words - have always found it quite uncomfortable how he has capitalised on his experiences, and I used to love Jodi Picoult but after 7 or 8 books the pattern was a bit too familiar.

I will read anything, and often buy carrier bags of books from the charity shop, some are awful but some are amazing.

My faves are the Harry Potter books, His Dark Materials Trilogy, anything by Harlen Coben, Peter James series is brilliant, Lionel Shriver is very good, If No One Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor, and the Twilight trilogy was really good as well I thought.

Happy reading xxx

My all time favourite book has to be Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird". Studied the book as part of my GCSE exams a few years ago and have re-read it at least 5 times since! Such a deep and meaningful, yet fun, book written through the innocent eyes of a child - would 100% reccommend this to anyone!

Another great book I'd reccommend is "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold - you may have recall the recent film. Read this about 5 or 6 years ago on holiday, and just could not put it down! Definitely a tear-jerker, but so cleverly written. Have also seen the film, and although I enjoyed it, it just did not do the book justice. You must read it! :)

Also, after watching the film "Shutter Island", I have recently decided to read the book, by Dennis Lehane. I am not very far through the book yet, but am thoroughly enjoying it! And, similar to "The Lovely Bones", I'm sure it will be even greater than the film!

I agree The lovely Bones book is a good read, the film....well only one word for it..CRAP!

I agree The lovely Bones book is a good read, the film....well only one word for it..CRAP!

Oh nooo! I wouldn't say it was 'crap', it just doesn't live up to the book. It misses a lot out, IMO. I think I'll re-read the book after I've finished with Shutter Island :)

Chelsea Lately books are hilarious

Anyone fancy a good old yarn set in Blightly with evocative Cornish tales of woe, passion and smuggling etc. can do a lot worse than reading Daphne Du Maurier!

Everyone will have seen the classic Rebecca movie (Hitchcock).

Most of my other favourite books were read at school.

Of mice and Men - John Steinbeck
A Kestrel for a knave (The film Kes) Barry Hines

Anyone fancy a good old yarn set in Blightly with evocative Cornish tales of woe, passion and smuggling etc. can do a lot worse than reading Daphne Du Maurier!

Everyone will have seen the classic Rebecca movie (Hitchcock).

Most of my other favourite books were read at school.

Of mice and Men - John Steinbeck
A Kestrel for a knave (The film Kes) Barry Hines

I didn't realise just what a good job I made of bringing you up Stevie,
Such good literary taste,

mumsie xxxx

Back