Recommendations please

demon

Cambridge Diet Counsellor
We always take my Mother (an active 80yr old) away for a week's hol each year - mainly city breaks 'cos she moans if we want to sit on the beach!!!

Don't usually mind this as we have other hols on our own, but we're taking her last week of May and won't be getting away again til middle of Nov. Really don't want to wait that long for a bit of sea and sunshine :eek:

Ideally we'd like somewhere, not too pricey, where we can get the best of all worlds - nice weather, central spot so that she's got something to do on the days we flop and where it's possible to do a few excursions.

Okay, not asking a lot lol

I haven't been to this place personally but my daughter is moving there and has just come back from a visit and told me about it .....

Plymouth.

Apparantly it has a fab, clean, modern shopping centre, plenty of history ("I see no ships"), nice sea front with things to 'see', nice weather (English Riveria) and the Torpoint ferry gives quick and easy access to Cornwall.

I think Sonkie comes from Plymouth - perhaps she can elaborate :)

It's worse in Plymouth!

I'm an Exeter girl and every time we went to Plymouth it rained, always seemed quite dreary. I imagine it is a lot nicer these days with all the modernisation they are doing in all the town centers everywhere. As Plymouth was bombed in the war a lot of the rebuilt stuff was vile, probably redeveloped now. Living SE now I have noticed that the East is a lot dryer than West.

Norfolk may be nice I guess!

But I had a feeling you were thinking of travelling abroad demon. Am I right?

Maybe you could list where you have already been and where you all liked the most and that may help.

Dizzy x

Oh - was it an 'abroad' recommendation? I'm stumped there then ... Christchurch New Zealand is nice - a bit far for a week though! LOL

Didn't realise about Plymouth's dreary rainfall - my daughter will be gutted! Where did this 'English Riviera' thing come from then? I think that was Torquay - isn't that near Plymouth?

Actually the sun is out today....it can be a bit windy but all places on the coast is exposed to wind.

Beautiful sunshine here too on the lovely South Coast of Hampshire Sonkie!
Oh I love living by the sea!! :D

Sonkie,

Does Plymouth really have more than it's fair share of rain?
As Exeter and Plymouth are rival Devon cities it may be a bit of bias on my part. But the weather did tend to be dreadful when we visited.

English Riviera is Torquay and south coast. Tell us what plymouth is like these days Sonkie, has the town center been rebuilt?

Dizzy x

I moved to Plymouth 6 and a half years ago from Nottingham, I love it here and will not move away. In the summer we take the boys up on the moors to a place called Cadover bridge where they can paddle and swim in slow flowing rivers (small ones obviously). If you like walking dartmoor is brilliant. We actually get very mild weather, its not very cold though plymothians think it is, well when I went to see my brother we noticed once past somerset the temperature had dropped. There are numerous beaches within 20-30 minute drive.

I LOVE PLYMOUTH and would reccommend it too anyone, though if you expecting the nightlife of a bigger town then you may be disappointed, but the nightlife is adequate. Especially when the ships are in port........nod nod wink wink.

By the way. It was peeing it down here in the dry South East just now and everywhere around is flooded LOL.

Sun is out now though and it's quite warm and spring like.

Dizzy x

There is a new shopping centre opened, quite a few changes have happened, they trying to improve the town but as I liked it as it was anyway it can only get better. Well I must say last year talking on chat sites most of the country had weeks of rain I dont know if you can remember.......well us in Plymouth had weeks of sun whilst the rest of the country got soaked.......lol. Its lovely today blue skies with a few fluffy clouds, and a bit windy but no its not raining.

By the way. It was peeing it down here in the dry South East just now and everywhere around is flooded LOL.

Sun is out now though and it's quite warm and spring like.

Dizzy x

No we must of missed that then, we had a bit of drizzle yesterday but wasnt much....It is lovely today....and my boys prefer living in Plymouth too

There is a new shopping centre opened, quite a few changes have happened, they trying to improve the town but as I liked it as it was anyway it can only get better. Well I must say last year talking on chat sites most of the country had weeks of rain I dont know if you can remember.......well us in Plymouth had weeks of sun whilst the rest of the country got soaked.......lol. Its lovely today blue skies with a few fluffy clouds, and a bit windy but no its not raining.

Yes I do remember last summer. it was so hot in the weeks running up to the school holidays. Too hot the children were so flagging at school and sometimes had to be kept in from the playground at breaktime as the sun was so strong. Then as soon as the school finished the rain came and that was it all summer. Friends of mine who are teachers spent the summer on the South coast of Devon and had one day of rain or maybe 1/2 a day! Yes maybe I was talking bull s*** or at least my information was pre global warming!!

Dizzy x

Ooops girls, meant abroad. I'm sure Plymouth is lovely, but don't think Mother would be too impressed if I said that's where we'd be taking her lol

We've taken her to Prague and Amsterdam - very successful, but I end up being the tour guide so it's not much of a rest from work for me. Also took her to Spain, but that really was just a beach hol and she was bored..........we weren't though!!!! Really need ideas for somewhere that will combine a bit of relaxation for us and some site seeing for her.

I will actually be there at the end of May as well… I am trying to find some land in order to build a villa outside Paphos… Paphos is now very busy, so unless you mum wants to spend all the time outside shopping and looking at ‘stuff’, it might be a good idea to stay outside paphos and go in when you feel like it… Most of the hotels can organise tours for you; you can send your mum to the Mountains to see the monastery, off to Aphrodite’s baths to be come young again, into Nicosia to see the boarder which was deserted years ago… whilst you stay by the pool and top up your tan. In fact you would probably never see her! I am spending the last week of May with friends at their house in a village outside Paphos and the first week of June (strangely enough with my Mum..although sending my hubbie home before she gets there) in Coral Bay, about 5 miles outside… Depending on your budget there are some great places to stay.

Back